Happy Happy Happy  

Posted by Heidi in



In spite of: the ferocious fibro flair-up caused by the eight hours I spent cleaning the Big Guy’s room (I will spare you the gory details) (you can thank me via thoughtfully worded telegrams attached to overly large bottles of Advil), the fact that the contract I was supposed to get in the mail by now for my Miss Delacourt sequel has yet to arrive, my grief over the recent intel that if I continue to consume cookies, cake, crust a la pizza or bread, it will eventually kill me (one can regularly find me weeping in the Hostess section of the grocery store) and my consternation over the news that my husband’s school is on the federal government’s hit list for being shut down for low test scores, (one should expect low scores when one tests Spanish speakers in English), none of which amounts to a hill of beans compared to the stuff I'm not including in this list, I am HAPPY because the first rose has bloomed in my garden. (Deep sigh of pure and utter contentment.)




The Mary Rose by David Austen


Just look at all the vines bursting with buds of beauty and delicious fragrance! It makes my heart go pitty-pat. You know what else makes my heart go pitty-pat? All of you who have put up with me all this time and are still here to read this.



Your friendship, comments and emails are like fragrant roses on my cyber-vine. Thanks so much for all of your love, encouragement and support.

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 8, 2010 at Thursday, April 08, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

34 wise, witty and wonderful comments

So gorgeous!! Truly a cause for happiness. I'm so sorry you have so many causes for the opposite of happiness, Heidi. I hope what can work out does and that you suddenly discover that you actually hate bread and baked goods. I mean, I wish it. Hope probably won't work there. Keep your chin up! There are more roses to come!

April 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

hooray for your rose! they are so beautiful. maybe i will stop by and "smell the rosses"! (next time i;m in town:)

April 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Beautiful!! There's still snow crunching around outside over this way. I'm anxious for spring! You have lucky weather year round. :)

April 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

We're just starting to landscape our yard and so I can finally relate to finding joy in pretty things growing in your yard. I'm glad you have a pretty yard to bring some happiness to you....sounds like you deserve it. Hope things brighten up in the other areas.

April 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Ahh, I wish I had a rose bush that was blossoming right now to bring me a little distraction/happiness! Its beautiful, just like all your pictures always are and as you are too!

April 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM

you know what I love - despite all the insanity... I love that you can focus on and share something SO beautiful as a pick me up for all of us :)

April 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM

It's beautiful, Heidi! I hope you know I've been thinking of you!

April 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM

My MIL's are just gorgeous as well. The extra El Nino rain this spring has really brought on the blooms!

You always have such beautiful pictures on your blog. They remind me of Victoria magazine.

April 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM
Anonymous  

Oh, Heids, I love your flower garden. Every spring, seeing the pictures of it makes me want to move to your house. I love your flowers--you, even more so. *hugs*

April 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Oh, Miss Heidi. I may soon be setting you adrift on a raft of befuddled emails. You see, the house we just bought has roses. LOTS of them. And I have the black thumb of death. So I may soon be throwing myself on your mercy and begging for advice. Because I'd love to have a rose as perfect as that one.

April 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I can imagine the holiday at your house when the roses start to bloom :)

April 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Now if you could just EAT those roses.....I'm sure they taste like a Ding Dong.
Where praytell would a whole school of ESL kids go?? Bah on bad legislation!

April 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Very beautiful! I love when everything wakes up after the winter. The citrus trees have been in bloom here and it smells like heaven.
i hope everything works out o.k. with work, scary. You are in our prayers!
xoxoxo

April 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I really wish I could grow roses!
Your garden is delightful~
Maybe I will attempt it this year...yes, I believe I will! I know just the spot!
Have a beautiful weekend Heidi~
♥,Lilly

April 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Heidi--Thanks for responding. It was exciting to meet a new "virtual" friend. I have now added you to my list of blogs to read.

I attended a catholic funeral mass for the 10-yr-old daughter of my neighbor. This special spirit lived her short life in a wheel chair and had many disabilities. In hopes of providing some comfort, I shared your passage with my neighbor--the mother of this child-- in a letter.

I imagine mothers like you will have a special place in heaven with your own chocolate running fountain--the kind of chocolate that helps you lose weight and still taste devilish!!!

April 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Anonymous  

Lovely rose and lovely post. Puts me in mind of a favorite verse:

If of thy worldly goods thou art bereft/ And from thy slender store, two loaves of bread alone to thee are left/ Sell one, and with the dole/ Buy white hyacinths to feed thy soul.

April 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Well thank goodness for the blessing of a ROSE right now eh.
You have had your hands full and sometimes pushed to the limits emotionally it seems.
I don't know why we have to go through crap like that sometimes.
crappy crappy crappy

Now, where can I find me a ROSE??
I did spot a pussy willow on our property.

April 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
April 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Love the rose picture. I could almost smell it for a second when I scrolled down to it.

April 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Awesome! I lub how you are looking on the bright side!

April 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM

So sorry about the fibro. :( But the rose is a beauty, and the BG's room is clean! Happy times!

April 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Stephanie Bishop here! I do recognize your last name--Ashworth--however, I can't say that I can put a name to your sibling. I grew up on the Kansas side--Overland Park, KS--however, the Lees' Summit area on the Missouri side was apart of our stake.

I have resided in the Lenexa Kansas Stake for the last 16 years.

April 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I'm so happy you're so happy. My crocuses have bloomed and I completely understand the happiness that comes with it!

April 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Heidi, those pictures are really stunning. My tulips are near to blooming, and the irises are flirting with the idea, too. I am with you! Pure joy. I hope you enjoy them blooms

April 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM

What a gift to be able not only to see the sweetness of that gift but to so fully appreciate it that you can let it lift you up like that. You're amazing. Truly.

April 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Not that I think your physical or emotional pain is funny in ANY way but I just laughed out loud when you talked about cleaning the room for 8 hours. You must save the details for some other blog post because I'm sure it is a doozy.

April 14, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Such a pretty flower!
Sending you virtual hugs, praise, and advil!

April 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Oh Heidi, we love you! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's school. That is very scary to think about it closing. And the book contract...What's up with that? They need to get you that contract!
The flowers are beautiful, I wish we had more here. =)

April 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Look at all those gorgeous flowers and greenery!! We are just starting to bud here in MN...
It's always nice to see you around Blog world Heidi! Take care sweetie! :)

April 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM

Your rose in bloom is like my when I see a tulip...my heart definitely does a pitter-patter. I just wish tulips bloomed as long as roses!

April 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Yay for roses and beauty and the ability to see them/it!

You're fabulous!

And I hope things get better soon.

April 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Your rose is beautiful - and I love that you can set aside the less-good news for long enough to appreciate it :D

Oh, and if you ever come and visit my neck of the woods, I will make you cookies that you can eat!

April 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM
Anonymous  

beautiful pictures

April 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM

That rose is a beauty, Heidi!

=)

April 23, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Post a Comment