In Which I Am Held Captive By A Fire Breathing Dragon  

Posted by Heidi in


Imagine a land of promise, a land of golden greens, empurpled reds and argent blues: a land not unlike most lands where ordinary people dwell. It’s a land of sea and sand, good and evil, high and low. A land where the swish of enormous wings can be heard by you but not by others--a land where the flattening caused by a searing wind can be seen but not felt by most but you. You are never quite sure what it is you are hearing, seeing, perhaps imagining, until the great, wild-eyed behemoth chooses a house, seemingly at random, and lands, great wings swishing, hot breath heaving, onto your roof.

Quite suddenly, you have got a dragon.

By this time, the beating of the wings has been following you around for quite some time. The periodic flattening of things around you—trees, flowers, blades of grass--by a windswept heat has you puzzled though you have felt no undue alarm. But now that the smoking cinders are falling through the blackened ceiling and settling into the carpet, the drapes, your clothes—your hair—you suspect the truth. Thinking that surely these things happened to other people, people from a different town, race, religion, economic background, size, shape, age, never you, you run outside, throw a fearful glance at the roof and clearly see what you had never before had the wit to truly fear.

And the dragon roars.

(to be continued . . .)

This entry was posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 at Friday, April 16, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

21 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I hope you're doing OK, Heidi!

April 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM

:) I think I'm feeling like that dragon is about to gobble me up... run? fight?

April 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Anonymous  

Although I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, I have to said that it's beautiful and fun to read!

April 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

That was fun to read. I visualized the entire story. But what is the dragon? I'm so curious! (And a little afraid to find out.)

April 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I hope it is a nice dragon like Pete had. Will you be painting any light houses whilst singing?

I do really really hope that this ends well with you singing "It's a razzle dazzle day."

Hugs

April 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Although you make is sound extremely awesome, I don't think I envy you having a dragon. We hear wings beating and feel the pressure of the wind more often than I'd like. We've had a landing or two as well. As a matter of fact, there's one sitting on our roof right now. Fortunately he's not breathing fire. Just threatening, keeping us from feeling at peace.

But mostly I'm looking forward to your next installment. I hope yours is a nice dragon and will stop breathing fire on you.

April 17, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Your dragons can be pretty daunting, I know. I hope you pull out that magic sword and pierce that soft underbelly.

On the other hand, if this is just a nice story and not metaphorical, then let him live!

April 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
April 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Sounds intimidating to me. I hope this has a happy ending for you!

April 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Wow, you got my attention. "Empurpled reds" Great phrase. Can't wait for part 2

April 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM

what ---Your'e going to leave me hanging.!!!

April 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Wait, huh????

I'm with Braden about the empurpled reds. NICE line. And I always tune in when you start by saying "In which . . . " hee hee

April 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM

If it's all the same to you---I'd like to avoid that dragon. Hope you're doing okay!

April 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Well, I am honestly a little afraid of this dragon. And I hope that he didn't do too much damage.

Thinking of you!

April 19, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Hmmm. I'm not sure that I want to find out the end. . .

April 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM

i tried to write a comment to this.. but i couldn't..

some days my dragon is to near
..
love u

April 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I just saw How To Train Your Dragon, so maybe I can help?

I hope your real life dragon is...nice.

April 20, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Ooh, I hope he's friendly! :)

April 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I like this part best, "you see that you had never before had the wit to truly fear." That grabs me by the goosebumps, yeow!!!

So wish you were going to LDStorymakers. Waaa. Maybe next year? (You could totally be a presenter, too, with all your Awesome writerly experience!!!) Nudge, wink. :)

April 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM

More talking is required.

April 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Um, get on with it already! I need to read the rest of this.

April 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Post a Comment