We're Having a Heat Wave, a Tropical Heat Wave  

Posted by Heidi in


The mildish summer turned into a mildish fall, then suddenly did an about face and became a scorching hot humid July in September. We are basking in it, as you can see by the glow in the Little Guy’s face as we enjoy an after dark 90 degree hike through the neighborhood. But really, I’m just making that my first photo to throw off the Middle Child in case she walks into the room, since this post is really about her and I’m not “allowed” to post about her. It’s okay because I think girls are supposed to be bossy but that doesn’t mean I have to do what she says. (Do I?) (No?) (I didn’t think so.)

Mostly I wanted to share the card she made for me as a birthday gift. It was the best present I received, and that includes the small, light, slim and blessedly straight-lined digital camera my sweetheart surprised me with (it’s hard to surprise me but he did it!).


  • The Middle Child didn't just see her grandparents through her camera lens, she saw devotion.

    So, shhhhh!, here goes:

    Well, Mom, it’s here. You’re finally the big 3-0. (Did I mention that she’s a fiction writer like me?) It’s a big step but I think you can handle it. You might have to start dyeing your hair, eating healthier and drawing on your eyebrows. (I have been doing all of these things since I was 35—she’s such a card!)


    Look through the glass in my bedroom door and you will see the Middle Child as depicted by my talented brother.

    Life will get a little harder with each passing year, but more rewarding, too. One day you and Dad will share a life of peace, quiet, and television whenever you want. (She’s uber smart since hopes for peace and quiet to watch T.V. at some point in the future is what I live and breathe for.) I hope you will visit your kids sometimes. Bottom line, at the end of the road, everything you’ve done for this family will all be worth it. You’ll be glad you got through it, and we’ll be sorry we didn’t do more to help out. (If only she could tell me how I can make her sorrier in the here-and-now … ) You are a queen who isn’t yet treated the way she deserves. I’ll try to remember what you mean to me and show my feelings through my actions. (woot woot!) (actually, I think that calls for one more woot!)

The Middle Child being her wise and witty self through pantomine. Did I mention?--she's uber talented.

One day Queen Heidi (can one possibly get tired of hearing that?) will be treated, finally, like the selfless giver you are, tenfold! (She’s smart but I still have her fooled, much like how I have the Big Guy 129% convinced that I have eyeballs in the back of my head.) It’ll be late, but when I learn what it’s like to be a mother, and times that difficulty by 100, I might be close to comprehending half of what your motherhood was like, and I’ll appreciate your hard work, and I will never forget it. (I hope I am still alive to enjoy it.)

Thanks Mommy, love the Middle Child. (Except she put her real name.) (She’s clever like that.)

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 30, 2010 at Thursday, September 30, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

18 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Your mom must love you and your humor.

And yeah, we're having that heat wave too. Which means that we will have no fall, and it will be 21 degrees next week. Sob.

September 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Awwww, she really is a smart one! I love it, and I'm glad she put it in words and you have it for proof! :D Really, she did good, when I was her age I found a poem my dad had written my mom, so I turned the paper over and wrote my own poem. Except it was snotty. And rude. And made fun of my dad for writing a poem. And some parts didn't really rhyme. Oh, the shame!

September 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM

That is just lovely. Oh my goodness. What an awesome reward. I would say that's about the best a child could do for you with words. Wow. How great to know that you ARE appreciated, even if you feel like nobody shows it. Thanks for sharing this. You definitely deserve it!

October 1, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Those moments of recognition from the people we serve are big payoffs. I am not surprised that you have a kind and sensitive daughter. Not surprised one bit.

October 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Wow-what a great card! Her mother must have taught her well:)

October 1, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Aw. She is so sweet! And what great insight! <3 <3 <3

It's very warm here too. Next week, it'll be cold. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a drastic change.

October 1, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Aww. Very sweet. But too right that she should start acting on it now ;)

October 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

What beauty in her words. I had to choke back a little sob growing in my throat as I read this.

lovely
heart felt
and something I would save forever and ever

October 1, 2010 at 1:42 PM

How very sweet of her! I love it. :)

October 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM

So cute! Takes after her mom:-)

I saw you were having hot weather. it has been very hot here too. i am hoping the rain CA is getting will head east. Is that too much to ask?

October 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM

That was beautiful! And I love how you duped her with your photos - well done!

October 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Anonymous  

Awww. That kind of letter makes it all well worth it, doesn't it?

October 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Love this, every word. She knows what's up, that middle child of yours.

And the last picture is so funny, the eyes above the glasses look and then your daughter behind him making a "oh" face. Words can't express the funniness of that!

Love how our kids humble us, help us ripen and grow, cry (plenty), gnash teeth, and then bring us home again, even when we some days, we never leave home.

Happy 30th, girl, you rock!!

October 3, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Awww...that made me cry. You're clearly doing a wonderful job in your motherhood. clearly.

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

October 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I love those sweet words from your daugther. It's nice to get a glimpse of what goes on in their heads. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job as a mother.

October 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

So, so, so sweet. I love the girl!

October 4, 2010 at 3:52 PM

That's an awesome card. I hope I get one like it some day.

October 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM

That is really sweet.

October 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Post a Comment