In Which I Make a Literary Confession  

Posted by Heidi in

The only thing about Miss D Two that has gone according to plan was the writing of it. Everything since then has been odd. Somewhat unprecedented. Not per the usual. For example, (just one of the many though the only one I'll mention) when I pictured myself writing this Valentine's Day post, it was under the assumption that at least some of you would be in possession of my book.



At this point, not even I am in possession of my book. (And just for the record, neither are me or myself.) Alas and alack!



Rumors abound as to when the physical representation of my work might physically appear in a physical way (as in, not a figment of my imagination, a reality I'm beginning to consider). The vagaries of weather and online book sellers are adding to the plethora of reports, each one more contrary than the next. So, as I confess to you the sins I have harbored for these many months, I suppose you will simply have to pretend you are looking at the very thing I am discussing--to be more specific, (yes, let's shall be!) something known as the Acknowledgements Page.



Once upon a time I wrote a book that didn't find an audience. Over a decade later, after much encouragement and revisions, it did. Happy day! However, it never occured to me I would find the time or means to write another book. My good friend Shirley always hoped I would. "Oh, pshaw!" I would say. "How can I with my sick son and my sick spouse and my sick body?" My friend Becky was the first to suggest I write a sequel to Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind. "Oh, pshaw!" I said. "Sequels are simply not done in this genre. Besides, their story is over." Still, it was a thought . . . Then several others mentioned how they wanted to spend more time with Ginny and Sir Anthony and since I felt pretty much the same way, I began to consider it. Then one day my mother suggested I write another book and I did not say "Oh!" or "Pshaw!" I said, "Okay, Mother darling, anything for you."



And I did.



However, I never would have had the confidence or motivation if it weren't for so many of you.



As a result, I thought a lot about how I could demonstrate my affection for each and every single one of you and came up with the "sage" idea of putting you into the story--somehow. It was a lovely idea but I ran into a number of problems. One, there aren't a great number of new characters in this sequel of mine and very few of them are particularly nice people. In fact, some of them are darn right nasty. (Hilarous (to me) side note: I named the most evil woman in the story after a cousin of mine because it was a good juicy part and she has been so darn sweet to me, only to have her tell me how much she hated the fact that her name is most often associated with women who are darn right nasty. Without letting on that I had very nearly done the same thing (oh, dear, now she knows) I mentally switched names with someone else and, in the end, it worked out quite neatly for reasons I can't divulge at this time. All I can say is that certain persons will get a kick out of it by the end of the story, I warrant.) (Get used to the archaic talk here, people, if you plan to read Miss D One or Two or Again.) Either way, I couldn't get all of you in due to sheer lack of new characters. By the same token, I tried to use names that represented more than one person. (So, if you are wondering if you are that Rebecca, yes! You are! And so are you and you!)



Problem number two: After intense study of census records in England during the early 1800's, I discovered that nearly 50% of the population went by roughly five names per gender: the girls-Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah (and I've forgotten the other but it was not Kitty for you Austen fans out there) and the boys--John, James, Henry, Richard and Walter. As a result, I went with last names when I could--some of you have splendid, British-sounding surnames--which often means you are named for a man (it couldn't be helped) and in one case, you are named after a dead man. An exceedingly dead man. In another case, you are named after a drunk. Again, nothing personal! Just pure randomness and whimsy. Therefore, the names I did use were based on suitability for the place and time (Regency England). However, try as I might, I couldn't get a Heather or Melissa or Melinda in there to save my life. (Tho, in a moment of rare brilliance, I did manage a Kazzy.) (And this is the moment when I realize that I care way more about this than any of you--like it's some great honor or something!) (sheez!)





Problem number three: For those who didn't get named after a character, I included your name in a paragraph on the acknowledgements page, right under the paragraph of people who did get named in the book. I dedicated the book to all of you.



Guess which paragraph got dumped from said acknowledgements page?



I have to say, I feel horrible about it, just horrible! I wanted all of your names in there somehow, but it was not to be. I guess I just have to write another book . . .(anyone named Herbert out there? Cuz that's what the hero's name is going to be and I would really like to get started on the name-saking thing .. . )






Happy Valentine's Day to all of you sweethearts out there! Thanks so much for being my friend, my encouragement, my support and my inspiration. Here you all are, in the book or not, in alphabetical order (because I am really sensitive like that . . .)




And those of you without blogs or websites to link to:


Mom, Dad, Barb and Reed, Brian and Ruth, Cath(erine), Christine and Scott, Debbie and Steve, James and Donna, Janice, Jen, Johnna, Johnny, Julie H., Karen H., Kim N., Kristen S., Leila, Lisa C., (another!) Lisa C., Pat N., Ruth C., Tracy M., Scott, Sheri H., and Suzanne A.
Love you all!!! There wouldn't be a Miss D Two without you!!!
(and if I forgot you--blame the old gray brain cells)

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at Sunday, February 13, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

23 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh, wow, you are so sweet! What a beautiful gesture, Heidi.

February 13, 2011 at 8:14 PM

What a nice Valentine's Treat!

February 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM

That is seriously awesome & maybe as a consolation, you'll autograph my copy one day, when I see you again. Then the Heather in the book will be especially personal!

February 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Oh happy day!

February 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Anonymous  

Best Valentines Gift, EVER. You know how I love ya, Heids. I'm really looking forward to having my own little copy in my hands and reliving that awesome dinner scene. ;) Love you so!

February 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM

This post just made me smile from ear to ear. I doubt many authors are nearly as sensitive to their friends and family as you are!

I am excited to read and see how this all unfolded!

February 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

So sweet Heidi! What a wonderful Valentine's day this is shapping up to be! :)

February 14, 2011 at 6:00 AM

Wow, I had no idea I'd be on here - it was the best Valentine's day present - now I'll have to tell my husband he has to give a gift that can compete with being in a (virtual) book. Hey, it counts the same with me.

I'm excited to get the book - I love romances. And weddings. And clean Regency books (Georgette Heyer can only do so much). I like to think that I know someone who is famous, who has her name on a book (and now two books). It makes me feel famous tangentially, like I have really discerning blog reading tastes.

February 14, 2011 at 6:20 AM

What a sweet post! I'm excited to read your book....I'll have to get you to autograph this one too at some point! <3

February 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Seriously Heidi! SO NICE! I'm excited just to be mentioned here on your blog, you're awesome! I can't wait to read Miss D 2, you know, when it DOES get here! :)

February 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM

That was so sweet of you Heidi! Here's hoping the physical book gets in your physical hands SOON!

Happy Valentine's Day!

February 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM

What a gem you are! Although, I can't imagine that you weren't able to get a name like Barbaloot in the book---it must've been super popular back then:)

Seriously, that's so cool. I'm sorry the timing isn't working like you'd planned, but I'm anxious to read the book whenever I can!

February 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I am honored! Can't wait to read it.

February 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Oh that so fascinated me!! I can't wait to read your book, take note of all the names and then go back to this post and figure out who they all are.

Hopefully your book will be out soon.

February 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Awesome dinner scene? Laura got to read it first? Ack, the torture! I can't wait! But I will, as patiently as I can.

You are such a sweetheart, Heidi! I absolutely adore you. How kind and thoughtful of you to do all of that! I hope karma comes around (because you've put a lot of excellent karma out there) and brings you your book, among lots of bounteous blessings.

You are amazing, Heidi. I hope I get to meet you in person someday.

I feel loved. :)

February 15, 2011 at 1:29 AM

(For the record--I don't mind that Laura got to read it first. Laura is awesome!)

February 15, 2011 at 1:32 AM

You are a gem. A real gem. And a funny one. I can't wait until my physical copy physically arrives in it's physical form at my sister's house and it'll be that much closer to being MINE.

To your new book, this Valentine's Day (it was actually yesterday. Whatever.) I say: Be Mine!!

February 15, 2011 at 5:47 AM
Anonymous  

I think I'm blushing. I might even swoon.

February 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Heidi....how awesome. I can't wait to get the book and have it sit proudly by the first one.

on THIS condition....with book #3 I get to be Wendy Willows (remember) who is the town tramp, married several times and always in the sauce.
there.......It'd be great.

February 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM

What a beautiful list and I'm happy and grateful to be included on it! :)

Just for the record, I often refer to myself as me, myself and I (as well). To think, if we ever are to meet, there'll be 6 of us to contend with (3 of you & 3 of me!).

:) Looking forward to reading you book, with or without an acknowledgements paragraph!!

February 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM

You truly are the coolest!! I just adore you!! (and exclamation points apparently!!). Thank you so much - definitely an amazing Valentine's present!

February 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Happy Valentine's Day Heidi!!! I'm so late. I took a whole week and a half off and I'm just catching up. You are just so cool!

February 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM

awwww you're so sweet:) Happy Belated Valentine's day

February 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Post a Comment