My Thoughts on Rebellion: Chronicles of Charanthe  

Posted by Heidi in

I have a lovely blogging friend named Rachel. I enjoy looking at the gorgeous photos she takes of her surroundings in Jolly Ol' (England) and marvel at her tenacity in everything she does. One perfect example is the writing, completion and publication of what is just the first satisfyingly lengthy book in a series about a place called Charanthe. (The fact that I write regency romance novels is no impediment to my appreciation of a great fantasy tome--it was my first literary love and I read pretty much everything that was out there prior to 1989 which is when my first child was born and I started in on the regency romance genre, whole hog.) (I can't explain why.) (Not because I am reticent but because I don't KNOW.)

The heroine is a lovely girl named Eleanor who lives in a land where children are separated from their parents at a very young age and taken to schools to be trained for jobs that best suit their talents and natural inclinations. But Eleanor is not your every day citizen of Charanthe. The job she is assigned upon graduation is laughably easy and utterly boring so she sets off on her own to find her destiny. However, before she can get there, she is pressed into service aboard a ship.

They sail for many days . . .



. . .and many nights . . .

. . . .until she is captured and taken to where she suffers much brutality, including numerous knife wounds (though I won't spoil the fun and spill how she came by them). Poor Eleanor started out as an unblemished, beautiful girl and evolved into a strong, tough, but scarred woman, a bit like the one pictured below . . .


Me, without my eyebrows on--a grim sight, indeed.
Unlike me, there was no one to stitch up her wounds.

(Here's a close up for those who are strong of stomach. And, by the way, let this be a warning to you sun worshippers out there!)



However, in Eleanor's case, the expression that goes along the lines of "If you think THIS is bad, you should see the other guy" is more than fitting. In fact, there was is so much fighting, training to fight, and plain old horseplay with knives, daggers, sharpened metal stars and, my personal favorite, the hand harp, in this book, it makes me more than a little glad the author lives across the pond and the entire U.S. of A. away. Should you go to her blog and take a peek at her picture, you, too, will wonder where this sweet young woman learned how to even begin writing this book.
The point is, this is a great, brilliant, smashing read that men, women, boys and girls can enjoy. It is clean (take that Stephenie Meyer!) and there is nothing in it that you would blush to have your teeny-bopper read (take that Suzanne Collins!). However, U.S. readers should keep in mind that the spelling is according to the King's English so "color" is "colour" and "organize" is "organise" and so on and so forth. Do not toss your book or your kindle (yes, this is available in ebook form!!!!) across the room in disgust in the mistaken belief that the author can't spell. Instead, it would behoove you to read until the very end and find out how Eleanor "grows" up and gets comfortable with all of those scars.

You can buy this book on Amazon.com. You will also want to enter the fab contest Rachel has going on Goodreads to win a free copy
but hurry, hurry, hurry, because the deadline to enter is January 31st. I should also warn you that, as of this writing, there are already 805 people in line ahead of you.
Might I add, "good luck" and "wowza"!!!

This entry was posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 at Saturday, January 29, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

16 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Not even scars can blemish that pretty face.

January 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) And don't be scared, my knowledge of weaponry is purely academic...

January 30, 2011 at 6:54 AM

holy cats - you SAID it was a long incision, and I DO know how to measure... but somehow I just didn't envision it quite that... well, big? You're still beautiful of course, now just minus a nasty bit of ick.

and lesson learned, I have a few of those scars on my back from having my own ick removed years ago...

January 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Love the pictures and I also love the lady in them and the ocean that the lady was looking at and I ALSO really like a clean fantasy novel. So thanks for the recommendation.

January 30, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I'm having a hard time focusing on the book review because of your stitches. Yikes! I hope you're doing okay:)

January 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I agree with Janelle. You are so beautiful, scars and all. <3

January 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM

First, I am so glad you enjoy Rachel's blog. She is an interesting find, and I am sure she is a great writer too.

Second, and more importantly, you are a rock star, and I love you.

January 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I don't know what to say...my dad has suffered from skin cancer and myself, well, I've so far have escaped it. (I'm fond of shade and shadows.)

You are brave, thank you for your beautiful face and for sharing the story about Eleanor, she sounds beautiful, too.

February 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Oh Heidi! When you have mentioned your scar and such I just didn't imagine quite what it was. You wear it beautifully, though, and I mean that.

February 1, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I'm with Lara when you mentioned it earlier I didnt picture it being so long. My mom has had that happen recently too. There was one on her cheek and nose. No fun.

February 1, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Anonymous  

Excellent review, Heids! The best part? How you incorporated someone I love, love, LOVE. I'm so sorry about the stitches but I must admit, it looks like it's healing well in that last picture. I agree with Lara about how well you wear it. You're gorgeous!

February 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM

1. It sounds like a fun read. I think I will have to find that.

2. You're freaking me out! I'm not currently a sun worshiper, but I have had more sunburns than they recommend. Like kind of a lot.

February 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Oh, Heidi, you make the perfect heroine! Look at you! And also: Oh my goodness. I'd love to read this book, especially if the heroine is half as great as you are!

And I was surprised to find I hadn't commented on this! I was reading it in the evening and the kids came in for scripture study and freaked out a little at the picture of you and we read and prayed and put the kids in bed. . . and then I forgot that I hadn't commented. Oops.

February 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM

I don't know how I missed this post! The book sound great, and those sutures (Ow, the staple!)look painful!

You healed up beautifully, and you are one lovely woman!

February 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Oh yes those stitches do look nasty, but definitely healing nicely.

Just had to say, I just got done reading your first novel, I got it yesterday and finished it today as I did not want to put it down!! So wonderful. I am definitely going to go buy the second book now so I can read it.

Wonderful fun read!! Glad I found you through Rachel Sue's blog.

February 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I totally LATHER on the sunscreen. sorry you had to endure that....but the scar does not ..nor WILL NOT...mar your beauty.

February 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Post a Comment