If You Came To Tea  

Posted by Heidi in


I wish you could come to my house for a little chat. I can imagine you coming up the walk and seeing the spread of the sweet valley at the foot of the hill. In fact, if you stood in front of my house and spun in a circle, every view would be filled by a hill. For a few months of the year, they are grass green. The rest of the time they are the color of golden wheat.


At the turn of the walkway, you would spot my little cottage behind the gate. The white expanse of wall to the left is part of my home. The white expanse of wall to the right is not. It's a pretty small little cottage but it is sweeter than sweet.




As you approach, the world behind the gate comes into view.





If you come on a warm summer's night, you will be treated to an assortment of heavenly smells.






The Abraham Lincoln roses on the right . . .




the Coat of Many Colors at the door . . . .




the Queen Elizabeth's on the left right next to the Star Jasmine.




More likely than not, you would be greeted at the door by one of my boys. They love company and usually wait outside for anyone said to be on their way.



And then you will be here and I will be happy.




I will invite you to sit on my couch--it's strong and sturdy and after 18 months remains undestroyed by The Big Guy.



Not that he doesn't do his best.




The Little Guy tries, too. At any rate, should you come to my house, you would meet both of them (or meet them again if I am lucky enough to have had you in my home before).


I can promise you a fairly unique experience in meeting my children (even if it's again) because they are True Individuals and have highly developed senses of humor. It's pretty much due to this and their good looks that keep us feeding them. (We prize a good sense of humor and good looks highly in this clan.) (I promise to have my priorities more squarely in place when the grandchildren arrive.) The Middle Child will want to hang out with us which I will allowe her to do since she has proven to be skilled at "pouring out".



The Spouse will be here, too, but he's a bit camera shy so I don't have a photo to share on this virtual visit. But when you see him, you'll be surprised at how cute he is. Meanwhile, you're sure to get licked by this filthy creature below. (Could someone please give this darn dog a bath?)





By this time, we shall be glad to escape into the backyard. We could drink lemonade in th shade of the umbrella (no dogs allowed).




Or we could sit in the flower bower and eat tiny sandwhiches with the tips of our fingers.



Speaking of flowers, you should be sure to come in May when the New Dawn climbing rose is at its spectacular best.






We could compare notes on the most eye-catching, sweetest-smelling, awe-inspiring gardens (or rose bushes) we have ever seen.






Or we could just label this one the best and call it a day. (It would be the polite thing to do.) (Of course, if you've been to England or France, I'm pretty much sunk.)


Naturally, there ARE other flowers than roses. These geraniums, which started out as a single stem stuck into a broken strawberry pot (where it still dwells) did not disappoint this year.




If it gets too hot (and it probably will) we could escape the heat and the dog and kids by moving down the hall into my bedroom to sit on my cool, comfortable and very white bed.



We could discuss the advantages of painting two of the walls pink and wallpapering the other two with yellow. In the winter, the room glows in electric light yet still feels crisp and cool when I open my eyes after a luxurious summer snooze.



My closet contains a desk and is draped with curtains. It is very soft and romantic and I am quite taken with it. (Indeed I am.)




We would take a peek out into the back garden through the lace at the window and talk and sigh about how soon it must all be over . . . and chat some more.




All too soon, after some hours or days or weeks, depending on your patience, tolerance and all-around strength of character, it would be over and you would have to go. If you take your leave as the sun is setting, this is what you would see as you walk out my front door.



And then I would walk with you through the tiny courtyard and give you one last hug as you walk out into the view.





Adieu.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at Tuesday, June 14, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

23 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh. My. I feel like I've been invited in and spent a lovely, lovely time in your beautiful home with your sweet family. Thank you, so much!

June 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM

So very charming!

June 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Your place is like something out of a movie! It's so adorable!

June 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I LOVE IT!! So beautiful! And I feel like I've been there now.

Also, I can't believe your couch holds up to the weight of the Little Guy AND the remote!

June 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I'm there! Shall we have tea or go to England first? We would discuss Miss Delcourt as I've just finished #2! (Soon as we are our of the French Riviera - see Romance Musings -- I'll write up reviews!!

June 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Best photo tour ever! However I will need to come back to see the yellow/pink bedroom with the closet of wonder!

June 15, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Your gardens are so lovely Heidi! Thank you for the tour, the chat and the eye pleasing flowers! I hope you're doing good with the new business!

June 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I'm on my way! :) Your home always looks so beautiful, charming and inviting! You are truly the hostess with the mostest!

June 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM

You live in a fairy land. And I'd LOVE to come to tea one day.

June 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Beautiful flowers Heidi! And your house is so charming. Thanks for letting me take a peek into your world!

June 15, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Who needs Rosamunde Pilcher when there's Heidi Ashworth ~ truly a mini vacation ~ Thanks for sharing.
Leila

June 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Now that was fun! I love the view from your front walkway. Lovely!

But, I could just hang out at some dive and still have fun talking with you. :)

June 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

What a lovely, creative idea!

June 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM

You have created a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing!

June 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Anonymous  

I enjoyed the visit. And I didn't even have to ask you about how your visiting teaching is going.

June 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM

You have a lovely house, and may I add, gorgeous surroundings and views. I quite enjoyed this virtual tour. Who knows, may be someday I will be able to visit! :)

June 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM

What a lovely visit!

June 16, 2011 at 12:55 AM

I enjoyed that little visit with you very much...it was all lovely, fanciful, delightful with many sensory pleasures
and yet
best of all
was the HUG you gave me as I left

June 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I enjoyed that little visit with you very much...it was all lovely, fanciful, delightful with many sensory pleasures
and yet
best of all
was the HUG you gave me as I left

June 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

I think I would like to come to tea. Thanks for the tour! I love seeing all the pictures of your adorable cottage!

June 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

What an absolutely lovely visit, thank you so much for inviting me (us) in, even though we haven't met! :-)

I definitely want to hear more about the pink walls and yellow wallpaper (such pretty wallpaper!). And the view out the front at sunset is my absolute favorite.

Best,

~Angela~

June 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM

That's it. I am so coming to your house. Where's my purse?

Your yard is beautiful. If my yard ever gets that beautiful, it will be a miracle.

I adore you.

June 22, 2011 at 6:17 AM
Anonymous  

I don't think you have any idea what this post means to me. Knowing that I can't literally stop by and visit, I've been able to with this post. To see your lovely home, your beautiful children (SERIOUSLY!), and the heaven that is your garden? It's TRULY a treasure!!!

June 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Post a Comment