Disposals of Garbage--Who Needs 'Em?  

Posted by Heidi in

Garbage disposals. Can't live with them and you can't live without them. They stink, they smell, they must be fed, but unlike a baby, they aren't the least cute and cuddly. Mine never even smiles at me.

Crazy busy day and it would seem that I have accomplished nothing but sweetening up the odor emanating from my disposal. A sad commentary on my life, indeed.

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at Thursday, September 18, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Are you sure you aren't actually IN my brain? I think about the most random stuff too. Like disposals. Or the history of the keyboard and how they decided to place the letters and how in the world does our brain remember where all the letters are so we can make words up on the screen and...
you get the idea.

September 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I loved that you wrote about garbage disposals! You gave us all a smile! :)

We'd love to add you to our new blog list if you're interested. Just leave your blog name at http://MormonMomsWhoBlog.blogspot.com
We'll intermingle and help build each others' blogs!

September 18, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Heather, I tell ya, it's the midwestern gal in both of us. And Heidi A.-you even have my last initial! And we are both beautiful so we are going to get confused all of the time. Sure, I'll sign up!

September 18, 2008 at 8:23 PM

There really is a love-hate thing with disposals. I came home late last night, as a matter of fact, and found a couple of eensy weensy fruit flies swirling around mine. Cute post!

September 19, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Heidi,
They are so a waste of time. There are so many things that just can't go into the disposal without clogging up the works that I am constantly gathering up peelings to transport to the trashcan, sometimes I feel I am working for it instead of the other way around. I hate it to smell and yet for an inanimate object with no nose, it still smells.
Roxanne

September 19, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Heidi, I think you may be underestimating the value of a fresh garbage disposal. Freshness is next to godliness, isn't it? In fact, I wish my disposal was as fresh as yours.

September 19, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Hmmm, thanks for the comments but I am still sitting on the fence with this one. :)

September 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM

This topic is near and dear in our household...but the really big question is...what's your secret for getting it smelling nice again? Inquiring minds want to know. I've tried frozen orange peels (I read about it online but it did nothing) and even those little gel balls they sell).

September 20, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I have tried both of those, too. But the thing that has worked best is to put about a half cup of Arm & Hammer down the drain and let it sit for a half hour. Then pour a cup of white vinegar so that it dissolves and doesn't gum up the works. Then flush with hot water. If you have a double sink, you need to do it on both sides. I tell ya, baking soda and vinegar are a girl's best friend--they do a lot of work around here--but only when I feel like weilding the whip.

September 20, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Well, my DH thinks that garbage disposal are NOT for food!! GO figure!?!?! I sneak food in there all the time when he's not home (hee hee)! It's a constant battle at my house. Not much problem w/smells, when you can't use it much!

September 25, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Post a Comment