It Just Isn't Christmas Without Andy  

Posted by Heidi in


I am so darn stinkin’ behind! I have Thanksgiving to put away, a house to clean, Christmas to put out, emails to read, a blog book tour to organize, a book signing on Wednesday and dozens of posts to read, besides which, it is foggy and beautifully atmospheric and oh-so-Christmasey but when the sun doesn’t shine it’s as if someone put my brain in camphor and cotton wadding, making it so hard to focus. Yet, here I am, blogging. Priorities, people, priorities.

And this is what I have to say that I need to say so badly that I am stopping in my tracks to say it right here and now: Andy Williams and It’s The Most Wonderful Time of The Year. Let me back up. Last week I was making myself a Christmas music playlist and could not find Andy William’s It’s The Most Wonderful Time of The Year. Clearly, I had no other choice but to leave the song off of the list because if Andy ain’t gonna sing it, I don’t wanna hear it.

A few days later, lo and behold, there he was lip synching to his best song ever in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade—and here I thought he was dead. This morning, since I had to come up with ways to avoid my long list of must-do’s, I checked again, figuring that perhaps Andy and his song had finally made it to Playlist.com, what with his new found fame and all (he kind of fell out of favor in the 70’s after his girlfriend died in a suspicious accident and they never discovered whether it was maybe murder and maybe Andy did it—or not). Guess what? There are no less than 24 links to the afore said song currently on Playlist. (I just want to make it clear that I knew him first).

This entry was posted on Monday, December 1, 2008 at Monday, December 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

26 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Great, now I am going to be singing this song in my head over and over and over for the rest of the day.

You are right though, Andy Williams or bust!

December 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Amen, Sister! And I saw him 2nd. I didn't realize he was on playlist.com because he is still alive but his girlfriend "is mysteriously not"

And I hear you about all anxiety, panic about what you have to get done. And here we are blogging.

I suspect avoidance killed the cat rather than curiosity.

December 1, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I thought it was his ex-wife that killed her famous, skiing boyfriend. She said it was an accidental shooting. Andy defended her publicly since she was the mother of his children. I thought that was what made him unpopular. How do I know so much about Andy? City Confidental would be the answer!

Good luck getting everything done! I feel the same.

December 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Well, I don't know who Andy Williams is, but I'm fairly sure I know what he sounds like singing that song, since I don't ever remember hearing it sung by anyone else.

That didn't make sense. What I meant was, I love his version best, too!

December 1, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Erin--sorry! But, hey! Crash--this is why we have no cats, Alyson-you are right! And I am wrong! As usual! BTW I LOVE that show (city confidential) but I have never seen that ep. Or else I would have it right, too. Lisa, there are a couple of other versions that are tolerable (Amy Grant's being one of them as it is almost identical to Andy's 'cept with a female voice and one I truly love, besides)but Andy is the way to go. Unless you put it on your blog--I hear some have gotten a bit of flack for that. ;)

December 1, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I love Andy Williams! :)

December 1, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Is that who sings that? Everytime i hear it, i kinda laugh. Just because it sounds cheesy, but it really gets you into the spirit! :)
And I have a this thing for cheesy christmas music... My favorite song is Last Christmas by George Micheal or was it WHAM? Either way I love that song and I have now made up hand motions to it!!! You should see me in the car!!!!

December 1, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Lara--yes, and can we say thank you to Alyson for exonerating him? Since he's still alive and all and might feel the pain of my back-handed and inaccurate accusation? Sabrina--yes! Last Christmas by George (or WHAM or both)is a great one. Very bouncy. Hand motions are totally appropo.

December 1, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Awwww. It's so good to pull out the Christmas favorites!

December 1, 2008 at 1:18 PM

You crack me up..."and I thought he was dead!" Andy is a pretty creamy singer, I must admit. And he helped to discover the Osmonds, so he is high up on my list. :)

December 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I would be glad to put your book on my blog. When does it come out? What would you like it linked to?
kellybeeswax@gmail.com

December 1, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Bah! Blog away! It's what keeps the sanity, says I!

And, I ♥ love that song too! And boy, what calamity follows his life! I'd hide out too ☺

December 1, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

I think that makes me the youngest. o.k., I know I would know this guy's voice if I heard it, but I'm pretending I have NO CLUE.

Ha!

I do know what Sabrina and you are talking about with Last Christmas though :) It's my husband's favorite Christmas song with a good beat!

December 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I just love seeing all your lovely faces lined up on my blog! Thanks for all your comments--Kazzy--I had forgotten that he discovered the Osmonds. Man, he really is old! I can't be blamed for assuming him dead. Heather, you are so sly! But, yes, I for one am an old hag compared to you.

December 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I have a soft spot in my heart for that song because our A'Cappella choir sang it in high school, and I was the accompanist. I LOVED pounding that one out! Glad you were able to track it down.

December 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM

I'm having the same ambivalence with the foggy weather too. I know exactly what you mean! And Hubby said the sun was out down in Pleasanton today. He was surprised when I said we hadn't seen the sun all day.

December 1, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Jana, you play the piano, too? Such a talented gal! Cindy--the fog wouldn't have been so bad if I had my Christmas stuff up. As soon as I get the tree up and I WANT it to be foggy and atmospheric, it will be bright an sunny. bah-humbug!

December 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM

So, my first reaction was, "Who is Andy Williams? I must be younger than her." Then I saw Lisa's comment and realized that I am probably the same age as her (I already knew that)because I do know the song just not the singer and older than the other Heather. Besides the fact that we all know how old we are based on how well we know songs from the seventies, that song is going to be in my head, and how could Charrette play the piano for an A'Capella choir, it wouldn't be A'Capella any more would it?

December 2, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Heather, you are super smart for such a baby. Let's ask her!

December 2, 2008 at 7:04 AM

I saw him at the parade, and I was kind of happy to hear the song, but sad that he was lip-synching (it almost looked like he couldn't remember the words).

But it's not officially Christmas in my mind til I hear that song...it's a favorite!

Last year, I had my cards done and mailed by now. This year, not even close. It must be this blogging thing...

December 2, 2008 at 7:46 AM

It's def the blogging thing for me--and the book. The book is taking up lots of brain space right now.

December 2, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Amen! Nothing is more infuriating than not finding the best version of your favorite song! No other will do. I've never heard of this Andy Williams girlfriend thing, and I pride myself on knowing these kinds of things. Will have to be doing some research now :D

December 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Okay, here I am with nothing clever to say. I did just leave another comment on Roxanne's blog though so I thought I should stop by here and actually say something before you caught me again.

December 2, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Christine (not to be confused with Christine)(the other Christine) you are a riot! Now I will have to go and see what sweet nothings you have been whispering in Roxanne's ear. I'm jealous already!

N--with regards to Andy and his girlfried,take it from Alyson, she knows the scoop and it's all there in the comment section.

December 2, 2008 at 9:19 AM

LOL! I see now - City Confidential. Haven't seen that in a while. The narrator always sucks me in though, with his long winded detailed description of whatever town the episode's murder took place in.

December 2, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I love that show and the narrator is fantastic! I love listening to him! Okay, here is the true skinny about him--I saw this on some other show so I know I have this one right--he is a southern black man which I would never have guessed based on his accent (I am used to California African American style--I'm ignorant, I guess) and later on in the series when his speech is more slurred and hard to understand--it's from drinking his sorrows away because his boyfriend died. Very very sad. He then died, too. Someone else had to finish up the series.

December 2, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Post a Comment