Just Spreading Around The Bloggy Paranoia  

Posted by Heidi in

I pushed the delete button on my last post. Though I didn’t mean it that way (honest I didn’t!) it came across as a little bit whiny and a teensy bit braggy and even a bit cruel. Worst of all, by spilling my paranoia into your virtual laps, I spread it.

Yeah. It’s been a real head-trip.

Speaking of head-trips, over the weekend, The Spouse and I watched The Duchess.

I loved the clothes and the scenery and all the “my-lording” but was especially taken with the parallel between Georgiana (pronounced Geor-jane-a by the Brits) (which is where the name came from) (so I guess we say it wrong) (making them right) (again) Spencer, later Cavendish (a dishy name if I ever heard one) Duchess of Devonshire, and a certain celebrity. And, no, I do not mean Princess Diana, though, of course, it’s what everyone else is saying.

Let’s see . .

Too much drugs and alchohol? Check
A tumultuous marriage? Check
Numerous extramarital affairs? Check
Forced separation from her children? Check
Your life gossiped about by literally everyone? Check
Having to watch your ex enjoy life with another woman? Check
An early death? Remains to be seen . . .

Basically, Georgiana was the Britney Spears of her time. It boggles the mind to realize there could possibly be so much celebrity, adulation and down-right worship of a woman who walked the earth before the invention of cameras and recording devices. They did have artists and newspapers, however, and they were very effective in fanning the flames of super stardom, even in 1785. When Georgiana made a public appearance, she was routinely mobbed. Women wielded fans painted with her face. If that’s not enough to make a grown woman nutty, consider this quote I nabbed on wikipedia:

“Famously, when she was stepping out of her carriage one day, an Irish dustman exclaimed: "Love and bless you, my lady, let me light my pipe in your eyes!", a compliment which she often recalled whenever others complimented her by retorting, "After the dustman's compliment, all others are insipid."

Gadzooks! Talk about jaded! Perhaps I don’t need to be blog famous after all.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at Wednesday, March 04, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

48 wise, witty and wonderful comments

well darn I missed it.... i don't want to be bloggy famous I just want people to like me! baha

March 4, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Interesting comparison. For me a key difference between the two is that Georgiana was celebrated in part for her wit and brains. Ms. Spears, on the other hand...well, I'm not exactly sure why she is celebrated at all.

That Ralph Fiennes sure knows how to play a nasty one, doesn't he?

March 4, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Hey, I'm third. HA!

And I'm glad I got a piece of that last post before you hit delete.

March 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Oh dammit! I'm so bummed I missed the whiny/braggy/cruel post!!!!!

I'm gonna have to check out that movie :)

March 4, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Ha ha! It's so funny that Crash knows she read it when the rest of you read it but didn't know it. (I'm talking, here, about Monday's post) Yep, that's funny . . .Luisa--very good point about Britney. In fact, Princess Diana is a much better comparison.

March 4, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Oh, now I have to go check my blog reader for whining and cruel.

I've fame of a sort on several occasions and it's awkward. It interferes with normal human interaction. I do not envy the rich and famous. Just the rich.

March 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Not implying that you are guys stupid--geez! I'm afraid to say anything anymore. No, I'm just saying that I think it is amusing (to me) that Crash recognized what I was talking about---I thought everyone would know what I was talking about! Man. I should just give up the whole darn blogging thing, I think!

March 4, 2009 at 11:36 AM

after all those comments, I'm afraid of sounding insipid :)

what's life if you can't be whiny once in awhile... I didn't take it that way however :)

March 4, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Pish...you didn't come across that way at all!

I'm curious about this movie now...

March 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I didn't think you came across that way, but I definitely relate to the bloggy paranoia. Happens to me all the time.

That's one of the things I love about you, your honesty.

March 4, 2009 at 11:41 AM

OK, I'm confused. I read the deleted post when you posted it and while it could be labeled as whiny, it didn't seem that way to me. And cruel? *quizzical look* I'm not seeing it even though I think I know what you are referring to. Hm...must know more. My inbox is empty and ready for any and all dumping you may need/want to do!

March 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Anonymous  

Far from cruel and whiney, I found the post inspiring and relatable. I guess you can decide what that says about me.

And I'd never want to be famous. I just want all of the famous people to idolize me.

March 4, 2009 at 11:54 AM

T--thank you. I realize that many of you didn't take it that way--it probably has more to do with me just plain old feeling paranoid about everything right now. Kim--yes--see it! I loved it even though parts of it were unpleasant and even a bit icky. Heather--thanks! Yep, that's me, honest, sometimes to a fault. I don't truly think my post was all that bad--I just didn't want anyone to take it the wrong way. Jami--I am totally taking you up on your offer! Mina--no, I don't think it says anything bad about you at all! I think a lot of us feel the way I described in my post--and I am the poster girl for gut-spilling--but it is so easy to misinterpret things online and I felt that there was too much in that post that could be misinterpreted. It was just bugging me, you know? But you are all very kind--thank you!

March 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Hmmm. I hadn't considered The Duchess. I don't think The Brain would go for it. Maybe one of these nights when he's working late....

And I totally got that last post. I thought about writing it myself. (But you did a better job than I would have!)

March 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM

http://www.notcooltobecruel.com

March 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Um, I know I read your earlier post, but for the life of me, I can't remember anything that would make it delete worthy. hmmm.

March 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I didn't take it as whiny, braggy or cruel. I agree, it just sounded honest and probably everyone who reads your post could relate to it in some way. I started blogging just to keep in touch with family and to have a place to express my thoughts. I don't care at all about being famous. But I have to say that in addition to making connections, I think everyone wants to be validated. In the beginning I didn't think responses mattered, but after awhile they have come to be important to me. Being validated now for me means getting 5-10 responses, where as for you it is many, many more. I love your comments and your blog. I think in the end we just need to write what we feel, do what we can and not always be taking our blog's temperature.

March 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Fame is a strange phenomenon. Human beings find each other fascinating. Some more than others. But the human inclination to jump on one bandwagon or another is a bit unsettling. OK, so now I'm curious and I'm going to look her up on Wikepedia.

March 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Fame is a strange phenomenon. Human beings find each other fascinating. Some more than others. But the human inclination to jump on one bandwagon or another is a bit unsettling. OK, so now I'm curious and I'm going to look her up on Wikepedia.

March 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I will have to check out the movie. It looked pretty good when it came out.

March 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM

There was no bragging, not really any whining and zero cruelty. I really think we all just related to either some, most, or all of it. I know I did!

March 4, 2009 at 1:15 PM

The Duchess had every sin, gratuitously, you could imagine. Awesome!!

March 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Um, I didn't even realized that I was signed in to Evie's account until I left a comment somewhere else. Oops. So that comment from Ewelina was actually from me. You maybe figured that out already. . .

March 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Oh Heidi, just be yourself and don't apologize for it! We all like you (LOVE YOU!) because of your honesty! :) But do what you feel you need to do (there are some posts I agonize over, so I get the deleting), but PLEASE don't quit blogging! :)

March 4, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Oh! SO going to Netflix The Duchess now! THanks! :)

March 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I am out of the loop. I missed it all. I don't remember anything ranting that you have done.

That sounds like a movie that would be interesting to see.

March 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
March 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Ahhh, I couldn't let you read what I just wrote....

And, um, so what you're saying is this is the BEST movie ever and you've already bought two in case they put one in the Disney Vault?

March 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM

What the heck is a dustman and how can I get one to compliment me?

March 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Oh wow! This is all so cryptic - I wish I knew what you deleted.

March 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM
Anonymous  

bummer I missed it too! :(

March 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Randi--yes, I think I was just saying what a lot of people are thinking--Reed, thanks for the laugh! I needed that today! Wesley's Mom (should I know your name? Sorry that I don't) thanks for taking it in the spirit was intended! Joy (not sure if you want your real name out there)--you hit the nail on the head!! Heatherlyn--for some reason your comments always come in multiples--the more for me! Yay! Katie--I have read some bad reviews but I thought it was very well done. I am fascinated with that time period though so I don't know if I am a good judge. Ewelina--thanks so much! It means a lot (and, no, I still hadn't figured out it was you, Lisa, until you said so. I have been pretty brain dead today). Kristina--I think she was very much a victim of her fame that started simply b/c of whom she married. It's very sad, really. Tragic. (but I get where you're going with that!) Melinda--If you beg a little harder and throw money and jewels into the pot, I won't quit, promise! (JK--but you knew that, right?) Jan--I didn't rant. It's complicated. Let's just say that I'm a space case and be done with it. Abra--no, not the best movie ever but it was a movie I personally enjoyed and thought was so interesting b/c it shows that people have always been people, no matter the trappings of the day. Megz--my thoughts exactly! And who cares what a dustman is as long as it is an Irish one, eh? Rachel-I am pretty sure you read it and commented on it. Everyone who commented was very sweet. It really wasn't as big a deal as I am making it. sorry. Stacey--ditto.

March 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I have this movie in my Netflix queue and I'm looking forward to it. I'm never sure I've spelled queue right.

March 4, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Melanie, I have found that with the word queue, the weirder it feels, the righter it is.

March 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM

There is a reason I am a faithful follower and if I didn't like you I wouldn't have popped in to see what you had written today so next time you want to be whiney and cruel go for it because otherwise you'll lose why we are all here .....

oh and I love the word queue ... awesome scrabble word. Anyone who wants to play me on facebook gear up!

March 4, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I totally missed Monday's post. I am so rarely on the internet anymore. I've become weird about being on the internet. Have no idea why.

Did you like "The Dutchess"? It sounds really interesting.

March 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I say brag away. You are a fave of mine. At the end of a long day I sit down in my living room with my laptop to see what my friend had to say today.

March 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Fiona-you're sweet and you're right, I AM pretty darn honest and frank. I can feel good about that, huh? Alyson--I have missed you! I do know what you mean about needing a break from the internet, though. Yes, I really liked the movie. All of the scenes were filmed on location. Her country home of Chatsworth is one of the most visited places in England but the movie was filmed in the private family area which is where she lived and where the family still lives today--so it isn't the part of the house you would have seen if you have been there. The costumes were incredible! The special features were worth seeing, too. Kazzy--I love you! Yes, I love to read what my friends are saying. I love that I can have a social life without leaving my house or having to get dressed up or bring dessert. :)

March 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Haven't seen it but want to. And you already are famous. What are you talking about?

March 4, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I love the word insipid - but never seem to be able to work it into normal conversation.

Don't be so hard on yourself...you are a rockstar!

March 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Rachel and Val--I would ask you what kind of drugs you are on but that would be utterly insipid. Meanwhile, people of the Irish persuasion are queuing up to light their pipes in my eyes so I must make my languid and infamous way through to my virtual bed. (Though I don't have the hits and comments of a truly famous bloggist, I have the best readers out there!)

March 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I love period films (and books, which is why I adore Miss D.). I wanted to see this one in the theaters, but somehow got sidetracked enough to miss it. Thank heaven for Netflix... the best thing since sliced bread.

March 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Let's see, whiney? Maybe a smidge. Cruel? Missed that. Bragging? Missed that one as well. Phew! And here I thought you had suddenly morphed into the mean and crazy Mr. Wii!

No complaints here!

March 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM
Anonymous  

>I should just give up the whole darn blogging thing, I think!

Don't even think about it. I'm just recovering from the loss of Mary's little glob.

What is it about humanity that makes us crave people to idolize? And if we have to idolize people, why can't we make better choices?

March 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM
Anonymous  

You couldn't be cruel if you tried. I know because when someone was being cruel to you, you had a hard time saying anything even remotely negative. (And that person deserved it!)

You're not whiny at all. You're real and that's all part of your charm. You're honest, sincere, and TRUE. In a world of falseness and flattery, you're a refreshing gem. And yes, it's your blog but I'm certain that you're safe here to be yourself. We love you and LIKE you just as you are.

March 4, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I don't want fame and fortune through blogging either, just meet some new friends!

March 5, 2009 at 7:28 AM

I haven't seen that yet, but I WANT too. I think that fame has always existed - so long as we've had the ability to exult a person for their beauty or their status or their talents, we HAVE.

March 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Becky--I would have to say that Netflix is even better than sliced bread but that's only b/c I'm not allowed to eat it. boo hoo. Eowyn--thanks for your generosity. :) Pam--no doubt! Mary, where are you??????? Laura--thank you! I have to say that I don't know what you mean about somebody being cruel to me. Really? I don't remember. One of the advantages of old age I suppose. Kelline--good for you! I have this whole fame thing tied up with the success of my book so I am having a hard time letting go . . .Beck--that is one of the things about the movie I really liked--people have always been people. Our sensibilities, culture and habits have changed but our emotions and motivations are the same as they have always been. It's an interesting concept to chew on.

March 5, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Post a Comment