For Those Mothers Who Struggle  

Posted by Heidi


My post for today is here. (Just click on it. While you're there, take a look around. It's an awesome site!)


I dedicate this post to my nieces, Jenny and Katie who are experiencing the highs and lows of mothering special needs children, as well as my blog friends who mother children with challenging differences or who work(ed) with special needs/challenging kids not their own: Barb, Carolyn, Charette, Christine, Eowyn, Heather, Jami, Jenna, Kristina, Kate, Katie, Kazzy, L.T. and Stephanie.

(For those who are wondering about the dragons . . . so am I--but they're coming . . .)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at Tuesday, May 04, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 wise, witty and wonderful comments

It is an honor and a blessing to work with kids that have special needs. I love them. They love me. It works out for all of us.

I have learned so much being with my little kiddos everyday. Seriously. It sounds trite, but it is truer than true.

And God bless all of you that have them in your family, as you rethink all of your decisions, replan, redo, etc etc. You are all angels.

Love you, H. Give the Big Guy a hug on my behalf.

May 5, 2010 at 7:55 AM

That was beautiful Heidi. I am amazed at the strength and courage you show facing those challenged every day.

May 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

running over to read - can I tell you beforehand that I loved it? because I don't think Heidi DOES bad!

May 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM
Anonymous  

thanks for acknowledging everyone! Love it... beautiful

May 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM

On Saturday we threw a huge 30 birthday party for my brother. I think I've told you before that my brother has Down's Syndrome. It was such a wonderful day. Even though there were moments growing up where we all were pulling out our hair with my brother... it was a blessing to be there and to call him my brother.

May 6, 2010 at 10:02 AM

That was beautiful. And being a mom who has a child who was very Special Needs when he was younger, you are right. He's taught me a lot more than I've taught him.

May 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM

That was the most beautiful expression of pure truth and Christlike love. Thank you for sharing it with us.

May 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I went THERE and read your article. Beautiful.
My best friend here (we were best friends from jr. high and on) anyway, she has a mentally handicapped 25 year old. He loves to come out to our house and "WORK" on the farm, as he calls it. He always says, "I'll bring my gloves".
he is a handful and my friend has been a good mom to him.
I really can't imagine all the challenges, emotionally and physically it would be to raise these special needs children/adults.

May 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM

(Tears....)

That was a letter, one I am relieved to not have written, but wiser for reading.

Heidi, you, your son, have enlarged my soul, stretched my spirit. Thank you for it.

xoxo,
Terresa

May 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM
Anonymous  

Oh, Heids. *hugs* I love you so.

May 27, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I'm catching up on a month's worth of blog reading and I HATE that I'm only just seeing this now... I left my comment on the post itself - but wanted to drop a note here as well in case you weren't checking there anymore.

And I will now go wipe away a few more tears...

May 31, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Post a Comment