More Tossing of Tacos--I Guess I Jinxed Myself . .  

Posted by Heidi in

my boys in happier moments


So, it's one of those Monday mornings after an extra lazy weekend. I have a longer than usual list of things that must be done today, I'm starving from exceeding my calorie intake goal for the previous day, my 6 year old is on day 5 of a 102 degree fever w/cold symptoms and the sun has barely peeked over the horizon. However, I suck it up and get on my trampoline like I do 5-6 days a week for 30 minutes a day--an essential step in pain control for people like me who who suffer from fibromyalgia. I start to bounce and go through the list in my mind; call the school bounce run to the grocery store bounce have Peter make a card for his teacher for appreciation week bounce update the budget bounce water the flowers bounce pay my eBay fees bounce set up some new auctions bounce mail package to eBay buyer (she paid a week ago) bounce update my calendar bounce do the dishes bounce what to have for dinner? bounce find out why the book I ordered isn't here yet (Eclipse--daughter has read Twilight and New Moon and is dying without sequel) bounce call the doctor bounce write a check for gift for teacher appreciation week (it's already late) bounce return emails bounce check to see if money for canceled online purchase has been returned bounce.
Above the sound of squealing springs I hear a sound. It couldn't be, but it is. Michael is up an hour early. Darn it! I really count on his sleeping in so that I have time to get things done before Mr. High Maintenance starts in on his endless round of requests. I start bouncing harder.
I hear him go into the bathroom. I hear sounds of snuffling, sneezing and general nasal congestion. Oh no! Not again! The big guy just had a nasty cold virus 5 weeks ago and it ain't fun. Michael and nasal congestion don't mix and generally result in hurling unless I can get to him with some liquid cold medicine (he can't swallow pills--that gag reflex, again) before he is awake enough to consider the reality of his situation. But he is up early and I am unprepared.
I run down the hall and shout through the door, "Michael, are you okay?" "Yes."
Great, I run back to the trampoline. Take Mary to school, bounce, eat breakfast, bounce crush Michael's daily meds bounce hope he finishes in the bathroom soon and goes back to bed for another hour . . .
Then I hear it--the sound that makes me cringe, the sound of tacos being tossed. I bounce off the trampoline and run down the hall. "Michael, are you okay?" "I don't know." A pretty standard answer. "What are you doing?" "I'm pooping." Darn again! I had hoped he was standing at the sink, much easier to clean up that way even if it does splash up the sink onto the mirror and counter top. "Did you throw up all over yourself?" "Yes. And I peed on the floor, too." Ah, well, that's a new addition to his repertoire.
I get a clean set of clothes, clean up the bathroom while running the bath and help the big guy get into the tub. Just another day at Dunhaven Place.

This entry was posted on Monday, May 5, 2008 at Monday, May 05, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Holy hanna! The kids are taking the STAR test right now and I just shouted out "DARN!" when you wrote about pooping. Uuuggghhghhh! The kids looked at me oddly-Hey get back to work you little scamps!

May 6, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Every time you said "bounce" I cringed. Man, you work too hard lady!

May 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Thanks for being my number one fan!

May 6, 2008 at 8:47 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
May 6, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Post a Comment