The Ghost of a Mem'ry  

Posted by Heidi in

The ghosts—they dance, they prance, they sing,
they haunt, they roar, they soar, they ring;
rejoice and shout of days spun out,
relive it all and hear the call,
drip tears and wail as mem’ries swell
and times past bring the mournful dream.
The mem’ries waft upon the draft;
October breeze sighs through the trees.

Figures forming, trees a’swaying,
hoot owls calling; ghosts—rememb’ring.
The ghosts—they flee, they plea, they writhe,
they moan for they’re too much alive.


The above is Serious Sunday Installment Number Two as well as my contest entry for the October Scribbit writing contest, the subject being "Ghosts". You can enter, too! Go to http://scribbit.blogspot.com/ Just a little fyi: I had planned on writing something different for this contest but woke up one morning with the above lines ringing in my head. At first I didn't realize it was a poem I myself had written, but upon being awake long enough to think clearly I pulled out my little collection of poems and there it was. It had been so clear in my head I was a bit surprised to realize I had written it nearly twenty five years ago, back when The Spouse (who was not yet The Spouse) had been in Mexico for his mission for nearly seven months. I imagine that makes memories of him the subject of this poem, though, since I have blacked out most of those first eight or nine months of his mission, I can't be sure. I was pretty crazy about the guy . . .

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 at Sunday, October 12, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 wise, witty and wonderful comments

So interesting that this was inspired by a boy you loved. It is so true that when we miss someone we really do feel like we are being haunted each time we revisit a common place or hear a familiar song. A very nice poem that gives us a little glimpse into Heidi :)

October 12, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Yep, that's exactly it--I felt haunted. So glad that I don't have to feel that way anymore! Phew!

October 12, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I like that poem a lot. It is perfect for October! Thanks for sharing.

October 12, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Isn't it cool when you think about something you did years ago and compare it to your life now; and realize how much further along you are now as a person now than you were then?

Don't get me wrong, that's a fine poem, but your writing is so much more advanced now, Heidi. Why, I'll bet you actually know how to spell 'mem'ry' now, huh?

;)



Please, I know...I'm kidding, aiight?

October 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Yes, AJ, I know you are kidding. Like I said, you are so much like my brothers-in-law, I am very used to your sense of humor. But, still, it's a nice compliment. I haven't written a poem in about twenty years--it would be interesting to see what I would come up with now.

October 13, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Heidi - I wasn't all that concerned about *you* misunderstanding my goofy dumbself. Just wanted to make sure the rest of your fans didn't take it the wrong way...

Y'know, they really oughtta come up with a standard font just for facetiousness or sarcasm, to make sure that everyone understands when their leg is being tugged a little. That's a hard thing to communicate sometimes...

Maybe I'll look into doing that. Heck, I could start a trend... :)

October 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM

You could be famous! I think you should do it--I just this very minute had someone misunderstand some dry humor in an email. It's a crying shame.

October 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Thanks so much for writing it down and submitting it--Love reading everyone's different ideas for the topic!

October 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Post a Comment