I Hate Being Boo'd So Don't Even Think About It  

Posted by Heidi in

There is something about this time of year that makes me jumpy, nervous and inclined to peek over my shoulder. No, it’s not ghosts, at least not real ones. (Three weird Halloween facts about moi: I have eight black and orange totes filled with Halloween stuff, I believe in certain kinds of apparitions and tragic--even semi-tragic--ghost stories make me cry. Like a baby. ) No, the thing that makes me start with terror is the sight of that 8.5 by 11 inch piece of paper that reads: You’ve been boo’d!

So, to those who like to Boo people at Halloween, this list is for you.

The Reasons Being Boo’d Makes Me Want To Write A Letter Of Complaint To The Guv-nah

1) That 8.5X11 piece of paper? It comes with baked goods. Unless it is clear as a ghost that these goods came from a professional bakery (dream on!) I am simply going to toss them out and with observable relish. I don’t know who left them, I don’t know if someone at your house is sick or not and most especially, I don’t know if you thought perhaps it would be fun to let your snotty-nosed kid frost the grinning pumpkins. (I have a most decided prejudice against snotty-nosed kids.)

2) I am suddenly required to make (or buy) goodies for two (two!) other lucky recipients within the next 24 (24!) hours. Sorry, but that is just not enough notice for lame old me.

3) I am required to deliver said goodies to the doorstep of two (two!) lucky recipients anonymously, i.e, in the dark of night. I don’t go out at night. (It’s a fibromyalgia thing.)

4) I have to give some thought to whom the recipients of my largesse should be. Hmmmmm, anonymous, possibly germ-infected, hastily home-baked goods and the injunction to run pelting into the night to duplicate my efforts . . .should it be someone I like or someone I hate with the kind of loathing generally reserved for people like, say, Hitler. This is always the toughest part of this whole being boo’d thing.

In years past, when I think of it in time, I hang the previous year’s boo note on my entryway gate to alert one and all that I have already been boo’d. (Snot a lie—I have been boo’d, after all, or I wouldn’t have that darn piece of terrifying paper!) However, something happened to me this year that changed everything. See below:




Apparently, the tradition of “boo-ing” people has reached the mainstream to the point that it has become a commercial entity. See the adorable paper baskets proclaiming you have been boo’d? Better yet, see the germ-free mini candy bars with labels proclaiming the same? These take all the last-minute agony out of the entire event. Except for being the victims, er, recipients of anonymous possibly germ-infected home baked goods which are going straight into the garbage, wasting the precious resources of whomever dumped them on me AND the need to go out at night to deliver more of the same, the products pictured above take all the horror out of being boo’d. Words simply can’t express my feelings when I clapped eyes on these goodies. Immediately and with shaking hands I snapped these up and hid them in my bedroom.

And then I ate them.

(Oops!)



P.S. The Annex published my Simpatico post from Sunday. It's always a pleasure and an honor to be "published" at the annex but many of you know that far better than I! See other great posts by clicking on the banner for Blogger's Annex in my sidebar.

P.S.S. If you click on the following link, you can rate this post and some others as well. http://humor-blogs.com/BlogProfile.aspx?SiteID=3352

P.S.S.S. I had a hard time with this post--I heartily apologize if this same post (with slight and minor alerations) showed up in your google reader four or five times. It was one of those nights wherein little sleep was had and my brain is still trying to catch up.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 9, 2008 at Thursday, October 09, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

17 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I would love to be boo'd but we live away from the clump of LDS people who do it. So no booze for us. Which is I guess better for us. But it makes me sniff.

My favorite is when one of my friends says that they got the stupid boo thing and can't find anyone to give it to because every house they go to has the stupid sign up. I give them the haughty eyebrow. And sniff.

October 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM

You're funny.

Congrats on the Annex post. It's lovely!

October 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Just curious . . .

are your eight black and orange Halloween
totes filled with quality Hallmark product -

or some other kind of piffle?

October 9, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Getting Boo'd was my favorite part of Halloween growing up, I think our neighborhood called it the phantom though.
The best part was being able to ring someone's doorbell and run, without feeling the guilt.

October 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM

ah, gee, Jami,I guess I am just an old scrooge. It isn't just LDS who Boo, though. Maybe you should do a neighborhood Boo thing and get it started--then someone might Boo you! Heather--thank you! Mary--if I had been boo'd when young, I am sure I would have nothing but good associations with it right this very moment. Rott Weiler, too bad everyone else can't appreciate your humor--but I would have to say mostly piffle-- but you could change that.

October 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I also dislike those friendly neighbor chain letters. Ugh... But I laughed my head off at you eating your chocolate treats! LOL Sounds like something I would do.

October 9, 2008 at 3:13 PM
Anonymous  

I have never even heard of being boo'd. It sounds like fun but I agree...it would definately have to be store bought booing at my house! I understand the fibromyalgia part. I was 'diagnosed' in May and still haven't found very good relief.

October 9, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Kazzy--I am glad you laughed at that part--so did I (is that not the most narcisstic thing you've ever heard?) but it left The Spouse a bit cold. I had to wonder if it was even funny at all. Sami--I feel your pain. It took me a couple of years after diagnosis before I learned what was triggering my pain. It can be different with each person. Have you gone off of wheat yet?

October 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM

I am so with ya on this one sista. I don't know whether to immediately take the said 'treats' to someone else or just ignore them altogether leaving them on the doorstep. Luckily I am not usually the person that other people think of to Boo, so it hasn't been an issue for a couple of years. (should that make me sad?)
Roxanne
PS To those with fibromyalga, try some proargi9 plus. It has helped some people with their symptoms.

October 9, 2008 at 7:08 PM

No, I don't think it should make you sad. We have even re-gifted Boo treats, something about which made me feel a tad guilty since it seems rather uncharitable to give something to others you yourself won't eat. Not proud of that one. So, Roxanne, email me about this stuff you have mentioned.

October 9, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Well gosh, Heidi, where's your festive spirit? I love being boo'd. In fact, I started it in our ward this past Tuesday. As for not knowing if someone's snot-nosed kids helped decorate...Well, even if they aren't annonymous, you still have the same concern. It's just fun and festive! Nathan and I did skull cupcakes and our non snotty child didn't help with the decorating - actually Nathan did all of them but one and they were very cute. I debated about doing store bought stuff but that didn't seem nearly as thoughtful as making something. Perhaps the people we boo'd are cursing their unknown benefactors right this minute. :) Oh well! I hope we get boo'd back by someone!

October 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM

I'm with you on this! I hate the pressure of the whole thing. One of my best friends did this to me 2 years ago and she did it when my husband was out of town!! Ahh, thanks! Thanks a lot! Now I have to drag 4 kids to the store and figure out some goodies to give away and then drag them all out at night to doorbell ditch our neighbors with treats?!! I don't think so!

P.S. I'm orginally from east bay!

October 9, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Hey Alyson, what a coinkidink! I am originally from San Jose but have been here for 9 years and just love it! Jessica--I am so sorry that I offended you with my non-festive spirit. When you have more children and more years under your belt, you might feel a little less festive, too. I do think that my 8 Halloween totes puts me in the festive category (twice as many for Christmas--there is a bit more Hallmark in there Rott) but this Boo thing is not one of those things I like. I can't help it. Blame Granny and her hereditary germ-phobia. Also, when you get older, it takes longer to get over being sick--and I have already had more than my share this calendar year. Again, so so sorry! Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of my darling niece esp. while preggers.

October 9, 2008 at 8:18 PM

I thought the part about eating the chocolate was pretty funny too.

October 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Thanks Christine! That makes my day. Maybe The Spouse didn't think it was funny because he didn't get any. ;}

October 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with being boo'd. It stinks that I have to deal with it, although I'm all for store-bought treats. And yet, my kids love it and it makes a holiday I dislike otherwise palatable. It's all good. If it does happen this year, I'll be sure not to boo you! :)

October 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Thanks Eowyn--you're a saint! : )

October 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Post a Comment