It's A Dream/Nightmare About To Come True  

Posted by Heidi in


Halloween; it’s a time of fantasies come true as little girls run around in their Cinderella costumes and boys become Luke Skywalker for a day. It’s also a time to feel that cozy shiver when we are scaring the wits out of ourselves with a spooky movie. It’s a time of dreams and nightmares which is exactly how I feel about the book signing I have so graciously been granted by the only independently owned bookstore in my county.

I have to tell ya, I’m scared! And excited and happy and thrilled and anxious and nervous and worried. I mean, what if nobody shows up? What if I am standing there talking to only three people (you know who you are) and nobody, not one person buys a book from the nice man who has bowed to some unknown pressure to grant me this huge favor (he let it be known that "first time" writers don’t usually get book signings—at least, not at his store). I have to tell ya (yet again) that I really have no idea why he has agreed to do this for me, none whatsoever but I can’t help but wonder if it isn’t just some figment of my imagination and no signing will occur on February 14th, 2009 (the big day).

Meanwhile, on to the sure things: I have the best readers out there, especially now that Lisa has made it official (thanks Lisa!) and all of you are smart, kind and thoughtful and some of you even make smart, kind, thoughtful comments, something I so much appreciate! In light of that I hate to ask you to do a single thing (tho it doesn’t seem to have stopped me in the past—“Be a follower!” she whined . . .) but (here it comes . . .) IF you have ever had any intention of purchasing my book and you live close enough to come to my signing, please do buy my book from the nice man who owns the bookstore. (I don’t reveal my home city in my blog but it’s in the SF east bay—if you need to know where to go when the big day comes, we can figure it all out via email.) If I haven’t before, I would love to meet you! And for those of you I know and haven’t seen in forever, I would love to see you too! (The rest of you can come, too.)

Mostly, it would be most incredibly humiliating to have no one come and buy a book after I have been tap dancing on this guy’s head for the last five months. There really is no reason you should rescue me from a possibly horrific plight except that you are smart and kind and thoughtful and generous and sweet and did I say kind? and thoughtful, I don’t want to forget that and . . .and . . . and . . . beautiful. There! I knew I was forgetting something.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 at Friday, October 10, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

16 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I would love to be there for support! I think a local bookstore is a great first signing. You will get some support from your neighbors and from there branch out to the country and then you will take over the world!! moooo hahaha... I might be getting a little ahead of things. Best of luck!

October 10, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Hee hee, sounds good, though! Nah, I don't wanna be no Steph Meyer (as if!).

October 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM

If I lived anywhere nearby, I would totally come. I'm sorry that Minnesota isn't close (at all).

Best wishes for a night that surprises you!

October 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM

What! Kaz and Heather aren't willing to get on a plane and spend precious time and money to attend my little do? What's wrong with you people! (I wish you both could come, too!)

October 10, 2008 at 9:40 PM

I, likewise, guess I'm not willing to get on a plane to come. I'll blame Marcus for that one. Anyway. It is a scary thought isn't it? Sitting there, waiting for people to come...but if it makes you feel any better, my old professor and mentor has written several YA books, has received several awards for them, and is insanely talented and fabulous. When I came to one of his book signings, I saw him with one other person. I'm not sure what the traffic flow was like for him at Barnes & Noble that day, but he was still smiling at the end of hte day:) It still excites him to have a book signing, even if it's only a book or two. I think you'll be signing so many books your hands will be tired!

October 11, 2008 at 11:11 AM

THank you Jennny! It does make me feel better. Sort of. It's the bookstore owner I'm worried about. He didn't want me to do a book signing for that very reason--it's not a good thing for anybody--I have no idea why he has agreed to do it. None whatesoever.

October 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Maybe it was all that tap dancing on his head.

October 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I know! That's why I feel so totally responsible--that big tap dancing show and now I have to deliver! Hey, Reno isn't too far, is it? : )

October 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM

It's only 3 1/2 hours away. I think it would be fun to go. It depends on the weather over the mountain and gas $. You need to get an article in your local paper about it with the great reviews included. The local paper where you graduated would be good too. Flyers anywhere there are writing classes, etc.

October 11, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Those are some very good ideas, Christine--thank you! There will be a review in my local paper (tiny little place that it is) but it will be harder to get it in the CC times. Same as the SJ Merc. I hadn't thought about where they have writing classes, hmmmm. .

October 11, 2008 at 8:58 PM

How can I get my hands on a copy? I unfortunately don't live anywhere close to you or I would come. I like book signings.

October 12, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Amazon.com, Overstock.com, Target.com, and soon Barnes&noble.com, as a pre-order, won't be shipped until Dec. 24th (or 26th, depending on whether or not someone spikes the eggnog in the shipping department Christmas Eve).

October 12, 2008 at 7:02 PM

I will be there as long as you bring chocolate too. Ha!

October 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM

How did you know? I do plan to bring chocolate, in the form of cream puffs. Ummm,doesn't that sound yummy?

October 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM

I'm so there! Actually knowing someone smart enough to get a book published...well that's an accomplishment for me! SO I have to get a personalized autograph just to prove it!! Besides what better way to spend Valentine's Day than with a good romance novel!!

October 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Yay Lisa! It's a date! (You had better be there--I know where you live!)

October 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Post a Comment