Miss Delacourt Is In The House!!  

Posted by Heidi in ,


She arrived yesterday in this totally benign box which doesn’t even sport the name of my publisher or a New York address (where all good publishers dwell) yet I knew just what was in it the moment I laid eyes on it.



I also knew that my ten “author” (read: free) copies of Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind would be in the box but it really did nothing to prepare me for this glorious sight.


Or this one. Isn’t she beautiful? (When did I start referring to my book as “she”?)

This is a good one, too. It doesn’t matter which way I twist her or turn her, I can’t get a bad picture of her. She has no bad angles. (The photographer, however, leaves much to be desired—remind me to fire her, post haste!)




More news on Miss D: Library system number six has put her on order and as a request from some angelic person out there in Wisconsin. The book is on hold for Miss Madison WI (click on the cover of my book in the sidebar to see info about libraries) which is a very thrilling thought since I don’t know a soul in Madison which leads me to believe this isn’t a pity order, but one that some real and living person put in out of genuine desire to read my book. Go figure!

Lastly, I received this wonderful blog award from Jami at Superfluous Miscellany yesterday.

I am to pass it on to five or six bloggers of my choice but first I have to do the rounds and find out which of you wonderful bloggers out there haven’t already received it. It seems that I am among the last in blogdom to do so, something for which I need to really get down on my knees and thank Jami since it would be pretty humiliating to be the only one who hasn’t. Didn’t. Whatever. Isn’t it pretty? It would have been smashing with my old color palette. (Meanwhile, I’m starting to have pink and green withdrawals. It’s still 85 degrees most days so the lack of pink does not compute. All I see is black and brown and orange and yellow glaring in the light of a molten-hot autumn sun.)
A great idea just entered my obsessively self-absorbed mind! Whomever signs up to be my follower #24 will be instantly added to the list because, one must admit, it is a pretty creative way to get a blog award. You know, for creativity, and all . . . Yes? No? Maybe?

This entry was posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 at Friday, October 24, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

30 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Congrats on the arrival of Miss D! There must be nothing like receiving the hardware itself and handling it. sigh... I look forward to reading it very soon. And an award to boot! You have good karma just flowing in and out, don't you?

October 24, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Oh, Heidi, this is SO EXCITING! I'm thrilled for you! Thanks for sharing all the anticipation with us!

October 24, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I am so excited for you! I remember sitting on your couch and you telling me about the book. Now, here it is! I'm gonna get me a copy! Would you sign it for me? I don't think I have any kind of signed book. And to say I was your visiting teacher is an honor! (even though I rarely came and I wasn't to on top of things, but still, a girl can dream, can't she?)

October 24, 2008 at 10:26 AM

That must be the most amazing feeling.

Can I have one? :)

Happy days for you!

October 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Congrats! What an amazing feeling for you. I love it.

She is beautiful too. I almost dislike her for her beauty and for how photogenic she is. I'm sure once I get to know her better I'll get over it and love her for her insides.

October 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Ladies, you are all the best! You make me smile, laugh and cry (happy tears!) I am thinking about what is the best way to get signed books to those who want them. My free copies are for my family members and contests (there are contests for pubbed books, did you know?) which I must confess, I have a craving for (winning one, that is) but I can sell books at a discount (cause I have to buy them) if I know how many people want one. Hmmm, I guess I had better do a blog post about it.

October 24, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Heidi! That is so so so exciting. She's finally arrived at your doorstep and even more glorious, I'm sure, than you imagined. I'm excited to read your book. Yea! I'm soooo excited for you. Perhaps one day I can be like you:)

October 24, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Oh, Jenny, you should reach higher than that, don't you think? I mean, really, goals require stretching. And I am sure you will have a book one day, probably much sooner than me. I. Whatever. :)

October 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Yea for the arrival of your book! Just wait until you see it on the shelf at the store! I had to go take my picture by my book at the store, I just couldn't help myself.

October 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Becky, I love the way you think, Becky! Alas, my book won't be out in most stores. Avalon is primarily a library seller and they aren't really set up to buy back remaindered books, so . . .. but my local bookstore will carry it so I can get a pic of me and my book there. Yay! And I am going to buy your wonderful book, too! Thanks for the reminder!

October 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I am so excited! Why wasn't their video of the box opening? Haha. I can't wait to read it. How can we request for libraries to order it?

October 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I toyed with the idea of video but that would have meant that I had to wait for someone other than the Big and Little Guy to get home to operate the camera. I couldn't wait! Good question about libraries: Just go online to your library system and there is a link for requesting books. It's pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

October 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM

I am officially your twenty fourth follower! I think I deserve a free copy of your book.

October 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Hey, Mary, I think that perhaps you (maybe) could be close to being absolutely correct! Thanks for being my 24th follower but you were already on my kreative blogger award list. Bummer for you, huh? You went and signed up to be a follower for nothing. Geez! Sometimes life really stinks. ( :) )

October 24, 2008 at 2:54 PM

That is so cool!! Congratulations you talented woman, you!

October 24, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Heidi, congratulations on your newest arrival, she is so precious. I assume she takes after her mother then. I bet she sleeps through the night no problems too.....

October 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Thanks, Alyson. Christine, you are so funny! But, truthfully, there was not a peep out of her all night long . ...

October 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM

She is lovely, dear. I am looking forward to getting my copy. I can't even imagine the joy and anticipation you're feeling right now.

By the way, did my library order it? They said they have no budget at all for new books this year. (They wouldn't lie to me. My kids and I keep that place in business.)

October 24, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Oh congratulations! You must be so excited! I'm getting on my library website right now to try to put a hold on.

October 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM

that is fabulous. congratulations! will you be going on a blog book tour or something like that?

October 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Hi Lola, nice to meet you! I am not sure what a blog book tour is--maybe you could fill me in. Alison--thank you so much for requesting it at your library! Jami--maybe you can ask again in January when their budget is refreshed--thanks so much for trying! Your library has not ordered it but if you want to check again, click on my book cover in my sidebar and it will take you right to the listing of all the library systems which have. You will need to click on your library system to see which branches actually ordered the book. This is so much fun, you guys! Thanks so much for your support!

October 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Okay, how hilarious is Heather? VERY HILARIOUS!

Congratulations!! She really is a beauty!! Excellent!

So if we all go to our libraries and ask them to order your book, will they? Because if they will, we all should! Hello!!

Unfortunately I'm sure they won't buy it here, as there are maybe 15 Victorian classics and old 1970's sci-fi books in English at our library. Everything else is in Polish, of course (and there's no money the library system).

Doesn't matter. I need one for my own shelf anyway.

October 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Heidi, here's a NYT article with a good explanation: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/fashion/02blog.html. It's basically you going around to various blogs and guest posting or doing a Q&A with the blog author. It can be a good way to drum up interest, from what I understand. If you can find some online book clubs who are willing to review your book, that can help.

And here's another quick guide to bloggy book tours: http://quickest.blogbooktourguide.ever.com/ - I hope that helps explain it a bit. :)

October 24, 2008 at 10:36 PM

How exciting! You must be thrilled. Do you have a button for the book? Maybe those of us who are interested can put a button on our sidebar and get you a little bit of advertising.

October 25, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Lisa--thank you! From what I have heard from international authors who have books with Avalon, they can't even get libraries in other English speaking counries such as Australia, etc. to buy them so I agree, there is zero chance they will in Poland. Lola--I can't wait to check out those links and see what it is all about. Marivic--that is an excellent idea! I don't know how to make a button. Does anyone out there know how to do one? Free book to whomever makes me a button . ...

October 25, 2008 at 9:27 AM

How cool!

Pretty book!

October 26, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Thanks, Melanie!

October 26, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Congratulations!!!!!! The book is just gorgeous! I wouldn't be able to stop staring at it either if I were you.

Cindy

October 26, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Cindy--thanks! Do you make those gorgeous calendars on your site yourself? I mean, I know you don't do the printing yourself, but you know what I mean.

October 26, 2008 at 9:12 PM

WOW! Not very many people receive their own authored book in the mail. Congratulations!!!

p.s. I'm super jealous that you're Elizabeth Bennett. I was just positive I would be her as well, but no - I'm Eleanor Dashwood. But Eleanor is better than Fanny Price.

October 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Post a Comment