Murder at the Elementary School Update  

Posted by Heidi in

Well, can I just say phew?!?!? The latest news is that this murder is now being investigated as a suicide (though that seems odd since there was blunt trauma to the head), that the victim is in his early 20's and not a resident of my town. It is still sad and though he is someone's son and friend and likely to be someone's boyfriend/husband, father etc. I am selfishly relieved that it is not likely to be anyone I know.

Meanwhile, inquiring minds inquired in order to learn that the last murder in our city was thirteen years ago and the last one before that, three years prior, so it is clear how rare this is in our community. Meanwhile, we live not far from Oakland (which is across the bay from San Francisco) where murder is common fare. So, this is a sad and serious reminder to me of how incredibly blessed (dare I say "seriously so blessed"?) we are to live here.

We are back to our usual fare tomorrow, here at Dunhaven Place. There is some more news out there a la Miss Delacourt so stay tuned!

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 at Thursday, October 23, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

13 wise, witty and wonderful comments

phew, yes. Sad, yes.
What a unique kind of day you've had over there at Dunhaven Place.

I grew up in a small town where NO murders happened hardly EVER. If it were to happen it just shook people because we felt so safe and kind of like we lived in a utopia of sorts. Anyway, I have no idea where I'm going with this, so I'll stop rambling now.

I'm sorry for this man. But glad it doesn't hit TOO close to home for you,
Heather

October 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Thanks, Heather--yes, this is utopia, so it is pretty upsetting. On the other hand, we do live in the SF bay area, so we aren't living in a total bubble. Still, the reality of having something like that happen right at your child's school is something that really works to undo your sense of safety. I lived in Littleton for the Columbine school shootings. I swear I saw one of the shooters walking down the street just the weekend before. Now that was truly horrid--the feeling of betrayal, grief, loss and ripping away of innocence just filled the air, even up to six months later when the mom of one of the victims shot and killed herself in a gun store to prove how easy it is to get your hands on a gun (it had literally just been handed to her). The saddest part is that her daughter was still alive and certainly needed her mother. Anyway, now I'm rambling. (not that you were!)

October 23, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Oh what a day! I feel so bad for your son's teacher. I hope the fall-out is limited in your little town.

October 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM

It is becoming a scary world! I hope the local athorities will be able to figure it out. If he was found in the cross walk, are they sure he wasnt hit?

October 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Thanks Jami. I think it is going to pretty much blow over, now. He had stab wounds and head trauma so I don't think it was a car accident--they think suicide, now, which doesn't make sense, either. I am sure we will learn more as the days and weeks go by.

October 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM

A murder is creepy no matter where or how. I am glad it seems like a weird random thing and not like some crazy person is still loose near Dunhaven Place. I love big cities, but I loving LIVING in a utopia, which we also enjoy.

October 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM

The latest update is that he suffered from mental illness and recently suffered the loss of his five month old baby. He was here visiting family. His throat was cut and they found the knife inside of his body. Yuck! I don't know how he managed that but they say it looks like a suicide. Weirder yet is that there are two claims to who found the body--one, my son's teacher and the other, someone who lived in the neighborhood who also happens to be in the bishopbric in our ward. I can't imagine either of them lying about it. Weird weird weird.

October 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I know it is sad to feel relieved in a situation like this, but it is really comforting to know that although geographically it is close, it really wasn't a part of your community that caused this. Sounds like you live in a utopia-type place! I'm jealous!

October 24, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Yep, it sure is! Thanks!

October 24, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Phew! I decided not to respond to the other when I read the update. It's amazing how little it takes to upset the balance that is our lives. Even if it is a suicide.

I wish our area had mass phone calls. I miss them. However, sometimes you don't want to hear what they have to say. When we lived in Washington, we got one mass phone call telling us that someone was threatening some of the elementary schools. And then the other mass phone call involved a third grader and a pellet gun. Argh. We think we have such control, and we don't.

Wow, a whole slew of memories came tumbling back at this story.

I totally understand that mildly guilty relief. Thank Heavens it wasn't you, but ouch for that other person.

October 24, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Eowyn, yes, exactly. We get in our own little bubble and then something happens that reminds us that we really don't have the world on a string. It hurts.

October 24, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Heidi,

Yes, LG's teacher and a few joggers found the guy about the same time.

My friends son met up w/the guy's mom on Saturday. I guess someone had left flowers at the site, and MFS was curious...where the Mom of the guy questioned him about it and he told her one of the teachers found him. She said that he did not suffer from mental illness, but that he did recently lose his 5 month old daughter. I guess he couldn't bear to be without her. Although I think the scenario seems odd...head trauma and cutting your own throat are odd ways to take your own life. Let's just hope he's at peace now.

On a happier note...I can't wait til Feb 14th!!

October 27, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Thanks so much Lisa! I'm excited about it! Thanks for the update on the dead dude. Isn't it crazy how all this misinformation gets out?

October 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Post a Comment