Murder at the Elementary School--What's a Mother To Do?  

Posted by Heidi in , ,

Okay, I don't usually post about this kind of thing. I like to keep things light and entertaining and riddled with roses, however, I feel compelled. It's the whole fascination with horror thing, so, here goes: I live in a small town that has not seen a murder in years. In fact, that was four or five years ago and it was on the border of town and involved out-of-towners (not Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin but Out of Towners, nonetheless) after an Usher concert at a nearby pavilion which happens to be, yup, you guessed it, on the border of town. Who knows how long it has been since there was a murder in our fair city prior to that--though I know there have been because their ghosts have been reputed to haunt the older buildings in town.

At 7:30 this morning, there was one of those electronic mass phone calls from the principal at the elementary school saying that we must keep our kids home from school today due to an emergency and a police investigation. I thought perhaps our school was hit by the "copper wire theives" since a number of schools in the area have been. Apparently copper wire is valuable and schools are filled with the stuff (air conditioning units, etc.) so I wasn't too concerned. Then, a room mom called to say that it was a murder, a man, both shot and stabbed, had been found at the crosswalk leading right to the school where the teachers park and the Little Guy's teacher, a kind and gentle woman who adores all animals, was the one to find the body. As I type this, helicopters are circling the air space above my house.

Common sense tells me the murdered man is most likely from out of town (one of the many crime infested cities around us) but there is a good chance he is one of our own, one of the father's of the boys and girls my son sees at school every day, one of the father's of the local scout troop, one of the father's who helps out in the classroom. I know of several families who live on the street in question. How is one to maintain a sense of humor in the midst of all this madness? (updates to follow)

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 at Thursday, October 23, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Wow! That is quite the shock. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be anyone you or your kids know. Let us know what happens!

October 23, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Oh, how horrible! I'm glad your principle was with it enough to cancel school so that there were no accidental sightings!

October 23, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Yes, he's great, but really, he had no choice. Some of the streets are closed, including the main artery to and from the school. Meanwhile, my Little Guy is having a great time here at hom. Ghoul!

October 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I stalk your blog and today found this...I am so sorry! How devastating to you and your community. No worries on not finding humor today. There is nothing funny when something like this happens!

October 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM

This is really scary. It's so weird how the information gets disseminated because I heard someone found the body jogging this morning at 5 a.m. It is all so frightening and as a parent it's tough to figure out how to communicate it to your child.

October 23, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Yah, I know. The Little Guy is still being coldy prosaic about the whole thing. Maybe I should be relieved but I find I am a bit worried . . .shouldn't he be freaking out?

October 23, 2008 at 11:35 AM
Anonymous  

About 5 years ago I was coming back to our apartment complex with a van full of kids and groceries. We were stopped just outside the complex by a ring of police officers - there was apparently a stand-off with a man who was holding one of our neighbors hostage. This was a nice town, too! We were rerouted to a friend's house, where we saw later on the news that the man was shot and killed in the parking lot. When we returned to our house the next day, the manager was trying to powerwash the remains of the crime scene from the parking lot (after the police had done their work, of course). I tell you all this just to say that I understand the confusion and shock that happens when something like this hits so close to home. Our kids knew a bit of what happened, but we didn't belabor the point by bringing up specifics or offering information beyond what they asked (and what we felt they were able to handle). Kids are incredibly resilient. I hope everything works out alright for you, your family, and your community.

October 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Ah, the police helicopter...brings back memories of our first California nieghborhood!

Real-life horrors are so much scarier than even the worst Halloween has to offer. Thank goodness this all happened before school hours so the children are safe. But seriously sad, and so creepy!

Be glad the little guy is remaining calm. That's a GOOD sign!

October 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM

oh my! ghow scarey. keep us posted, I really hope it's no one you/we know. I think it's ok that p isn't freakin out. he didn't see it so it's probably not a big deal to him. ?

btw - I love the new look! very classy - not to say the old one wasn't. change is always good!

xoxo

October 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Youngbloodforever, not sure how I missed your comment before but hey, thanks for delurking and filling me on your stalking-status. Jana and Hillary, thanks so much for your comments--things have settled down and I am about to write my update . ..

October 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM
Anonymous  

That is so terrible and scary for you. I'm glad the kids didn't find the body. A side note... there have been a lot of copper thefts in our area, too. I guess it's going for a lot at the recycle yards.

October 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Thanks Sami--all you ladies are so wonderful!

October 24, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Post a Comment