Feeling Full Of The Attitude Of Gratitude  

Posted by Heidi in

Thanksgiving is the time of year most of us look back and reflect on all that the Lord has blessed us with over the past twelve months. Unlike Christmas, there aren’t a million expectations to work hard to meet as well as those to be fulfilled in our own hearts; Thanksgiving is a time of feeling “full” instead of depleted. The “groaning boards” of food suffuse us with the sensation of effulgent abundance even before we consume it. Barring personal difficult circumstances, it is a time to feel that all is right with the world.

I can’t help but feel that I have more to be grateful for than I did last Thanksgiving. We here at Dunhaven Place have enjoyed over three years of steady employment and though our income is small there has always, one way or another, been enough to meet our needs as well as some of our wants. The Little Guy is no longer in kindergarten so my days are much more my own to spend as I see fit. All the mood-disordered persons in my household are somewhat less moody this year than last. I have been blessed with truly wonderful supportive friends. I have had the opportunity to cyber-visit with many far away family members and had the chance to spend quality face time with close family members, as well. I was so privileged as to witness the wedding/sealing of my niece in the very same place my ancestors were married/sealed over a hundred years ago. We have only lost one person this year, Great Grandma Liz, who is no doubt grateful herself that she got to spend birthday #91 in heaven. I have a book that I wrote to hold in my hand, something which has been a dream of mine for (many) decades. And I have discovered the wonderful world of blog, a place filled to overflowing with fun, intelligent, kind and wonderful people all over the world.

Today in church, the Big Guy drew a picture of a tree with three kinds of fruit, apple, orange and plum. He explained that the fruit represented choices; if you made good choices, you got to eat the fruit and if you made bad choices, you would be forced to eat only the seeds.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I am so grateful that he understands the concept of consequences, though I would add this to what he said, and hope he understands this concept one day, as well. Sometimes we get seeds even when we make good choices and sometimes we get fruit even when we make bad choices. This past year, I have been blessed with fruit, some earned, some not. Some of the fruit has been in the shape of apples, oranges and plums but most of it has been in the shape of each one of you. For which I am very grateful.

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 at Sunday, November 16, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

24 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh, the goose bumps!!!

You're submitting this to Scribbit's Write-Away contest for November (Thanksgiving and the letter F) right? You covered both! Fruit, Full, Gratitude, Thanksgiving! Submit, submit.

Now. Go now. :)
(If you don't already know, you can find the link on my blog-but you HAD to have been thinking of that contest with this post...right? If not, you're even more amazing than I thought:)

word verification: unalyze - ha!

November 16, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Heidi,
It sounds like you do indeed have many things to be thankful for. It is so nice at the end of the year when we mostly think of all the good things. So many times the bad things just float away and are difficult, if not even impossible to remember.

Very touching post. Thanks, friend.

November 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM

That was beautiful. Thanks.

November 16, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Heather, you are so sweet--but I already submitted the leaf one from last Sunday to Scribbit. I won't win either way, but it is fun to enter, isn't it? Kazzy--I agree--it is nice to have this time of year to set all the negative aside and focus on the good (tho I hear for those who hate their family or don't have family, this can be a pretty tough time of year). Annette--thank you for your comment! Now I need to get busy and get to reading everyone else's posts today. :)

November 16, 2008 at 4:00 PM

OOOH, I love the leaf one too. You should NOT be so sure you're not going to win, you silly goose. You're talent is ooozing over here :)

November 16, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Heidi, I don't know how you do it one day I am laughing hysterically at your post, the next you leave me in awe and thankful myself. I have an award for you on my blog!

November 16, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Submit to Scribbit I say. If I had your talent I would. I go there for the giveaways cuz that's all I'm qualified to win. No skills required. This is a beautiful post.

November 16, 2008 at 6:40 PM

What a great blog you have here! Thanks for sharing :)

November 16, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Christine--you laugh hysterically at my posts? You are my new best friend! Thanks for the award--I'm dashing over there, now. Marivic, thank you. I did submit one already, we'll see what happens. But if I were taking bets, I would bet on Heather's submission. Tigger--thanks for visiting!

November 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Don't know if I'm an apple, pear or plumb, Heidi, but I'm confident that I speak for everyone in saying we think you're quite a PEACH!

Have a wonderful thanksgiving... :)

November 16, 2008 at 7:24 PM

You, too AJ, though I don't recommend peach pie for turkey day. Have a nice pumpkin one, or if you are really smart, have chocolate and give an extra big piece to your wife! (Thanks, though!)

November 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM

What wonderful insight! And congratulations on the book being published! I will be excited to read it! :)

November 16, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Lovely post, I tend to think that we are given seeds, and it's up to us how we sow them - that being said, it's up to us if we choose to sow them or not.
We could just be unhappily munching seeds the rest of our life. Or we could happily sow them, take the time to grow them, and then reap the benefits of said seeds. It's just more work that way!

November 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Lara, thank you! Aqua, what a cool portrait (profile pic). Yep, the complexities of the seed versus the fruit are endless but, in the end, all the good guys get fruit and the bad guys get seeds, and not the kind that can be planted for the purpose of bearing good fruit, either. In the meantime, we just have to make lemonade (there I go, mixing analogies, again!)

November 16, 2008 at 9:08 PM

This post brings the spirit of Thanksgiving so beautifully!

I love the fruit analogy. And I especially love your expansion on it. Sometimes we DO get seeds! We make a difficult but right choice and we suffer!! Or we make the more easy but wrong choice and enjoy benefits. Still, there is always that other side. There always will be blessing for doing the good. Sometimes eating a sweet fruit isn't as good as watching that fruit grow from a seed before you can eat it!

November 16, 2008 at 11:56 PM

I am grateful to you my dear cuz. It was so thoughtful of you to send out the email wondering about my whereabouts. Just out of town on business but I am back now and ready for more blogging. Talk with you soon!
Roxanne

November 17, 2008 at 6:41 AM

Lisa, I totally agree--the good fruits grown from the seeds are a hard row to hoe but they are the best tasting! Roxanne--yay! Glad you are back (you mean, you don't blog when out of town?) hee hee

November 17, 2008 at 7:07 AM

What a great list of things to be thankful for. Thank you for sharing!

November 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM

So beautiful. I feel the same about Thanksgiving. I love that you listed how things are better this year than last year. Great post!

November 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Very Lovely post...
It's making my think of all the things i am grateful and thankful for over the past year...

November 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Becky, Alyson and Sabrina, thanks so much--it's a good feeling!

November 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Heidi, this post radiates gratefulness.. Gratefulness to God, and to people around. It is amazing in its sweet simplicity, just makes me feel grateful for everything the Good Lord has bestowed on me...
Thank you for sharing.

November 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Simply lovely!

November 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Thanks Nevada and Dots--your comment really touched me! Thank you so much!

November 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Post a Comment