Hit And Run--It's The Way Some People Roll  

Posted by Heidi in

I have been tagged by an utter stranger via a hit and run comment on yesterday’s post. I am (pretty) (much) sure this person doesn’t know me from Eve (I don't think I know her but the ol' brain is naught but a swiss cheese these days) though I suspect if I dig deep enough, I will find she is a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend. That, however, is no excuse. (I mean, shouldn’t this be illegal? Or at the very least, mildly frowned upon?) Still, I have never been tagged before, and because this is a rather different one, I’m going to play.

50/50 (as in being torn between liking one or the other the best--I’m supposed to do five of these but since breaking the rules seems to be the name of the game with this tag that’s the way I’m going to roll and do only one. Call me a rebel but only if it makes you feel better).

P. or W. Let me explain. Today on the way to school, the Little Guy informed me that when he is 10, he is going to go by his actual first name, W. (yes, we call him by his middle name, long story) because by then, he will be “cool”. I asked him to please define cool. “Well, you know how right now I am sweet and kind and thoughtful? When I am the W. side of me, I am going to be cool, instead.” I told him I didn’t like it and hoped he could still be kind and sweet and thoughtful when W. made his so-cool appearance. That’s when he made a noble concession and agreed to be P. at home while being W. at school. I told him I thought he should be kind and sweet and thoughtful as well as cool at school and at home and hoped he could be both when the time came that he was too cool for school. His response was to refuse to give me my hug and kiss as he got out of the car. In fact, he wouldn't even look at me and gave the van door a good ol' crash for good measure. (W. has made an appearance already, it seems). So, I am torn because even when he is talking trash, he is so smart and cute in an innocent kind of way. Yet, I am deeply disturbed.

Pet Peeves (again, there are supposed to be only five . . .)

Being frugal, just for the sake of being frugal. I can be frugal, mind you, if there is something I want more than I want what it is I am talking myself out of buying in an impatient and impulsive way. But being frugal just to be able to make it until the end of the month with enough grocery money? What! Again? BoRRRing!

Things that don’t go well together.

Boys and girls. (I’m adamant about this. Those of you with only female/male offspring who spend nights weeping into your pillow due to the lack of either estrogen or testosterone in your abode, don’t know what you’re missing. And it ain’t pretty.) Something else that doesn’t go well together: girls and girls. And another thing that (apparently) doesn't go well together since it is about as rare as a snow day in San Diego: girls and good hygiene (though they certainly don’t have the corner on that market), as well as teenage girls and a honeysweet attitude and, lastly, girls and good fashion. Have you seen what’s available in the stores these day? Gah!! (I guess I should be glad my girl dresses like a boy.)

(Nope! Can't do it.)

The final tag item is to share a photo of my handwriting, both right and left. The ubiquitous “they” say if you don’t learn to use the non-dominant hand before age 21, that hand will be useless forever. Thank goodness I slipped in the whole guitar thing just in the nick of time. Since I learned to play, I have been able to do that thing where you pat the top of your head and rub your belly with your hand in a circular pattern at the same time with absolutely no problem whatsoever (mission accomplished!).


However, as you can see, the writing via my right hand isn’t much better than my left. This would be due to the fact that I have very bad handwriting. (Those of you who want a signed book, take note.) My parents made me get up early to practice my handwriting when I scored a D in that subject in the 5th grade but to no avail. (it’s okay, parents, you did good in other ways, or at least, with your other kids, which is one good reason to have eight. One of them is bound to turn out great. Which is not to say I am putting myself forward as said great child. Really. I’m not. Unless, of course, you insist.)

So, now I am done with my tag for which I am very grateful.
Umm, this blog post seems to defy commenting. Would somebody please comment and tell me what I said wrong? Was it the girl fashion thing? Just the whole down on girls thing? Somebody please enlighten me).

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at Tuesday, November 18, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

23 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love the Little Guy part of this post. How very funny and wise.

My 6 year old sadly is starting to get way too aware of what's cool and not cool. For example, he loves going to the Nutcracker with me every year. Last year he begged for me to sign him up for ballet lessons so he could be in the Nutcracker as one of the Russian dancers. I never got around to doing it. Now this year he is not sure he even wants to go with me to see the Nutcracker!

Gasp, I guess in 1st grade he's not sure it's cool to go to the ballet with Mom anymore...

November 18, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I knnnnnoooooowwwww! It's so sad! Hey, thanks for commenting. I was starting to get really paranoid. I have had lots of visitors, but no comments . . . did I say something wrong?

November 18, 2008 at 1:03 PM

I totally agree about not being able to find decent clothes for girls in stores. So often I see cute things for little girls and wish they had them in big girls sizes too. Who decided that once you start wearing size 7 you have to look trashy or like a wanna be rock star? So, there is my comment since you asked. I just started following you blog because I noticed your super nice and insightful comments on lots of blogs I read. I can't wait to read your book.

November 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Heather, you are my new best friend! Love you! I can carry on with the rest of my day, now, without contemplating ending it all (by that, I mean the blogging, silly!) And, yes, yes, and yes--rock star or trashy, that seems to be the only choices. Sad.

November 18, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I think the top one is the dominant hand. The "e" gives it away.

My father gave me two names and then called me by the second one. When I was 19, not 10, I changed to my first one.

siestic......a deaming nap

November 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Kim, not ridiculous! Thanks! OBG--you got it! It's good to know others go by their middle name. My brother and four of my siblings also go by their middle name. I hear it is a Scandinavian thing and since we are (that) it might explain it. Or not.

November 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Your little guy, aka "W." would get along nicely with my 9 year old Deklan, or "Dexter" as he appears to go by in school, perhaps it's the way he introduced himself. "Hi, my name is Deklan, but my friends call me Dexter and I'm from Columbia."
See, just suggest to the little guy that he could also come from somewhere cool and exotic to go along with his newfound persona...
I don't know.
And as for girls.
I am under the assumption that every family needs one girl. Just one.
Because I need a little girl to practice hair on, dress in pretty clothes, and go shopping with me to the mall. But just one.
I can do without the whiny, "he looked at me, and I already asked him to stop and he just won't and now he's sticking his tongue out at me. He's making faces at me
while I'm trying to eat the pancakes you're forcing me to eat even though I told you I don't like pancakes, and now he's laughing at me and OWWWWW he just kicked me under the table."
Then a flamboyant burst of tears.
And then "stomp stomp stomp" up the stairs where she's been sent to her room
"SLAM"
oh there goes the door - where was I?
Oh yes, where she's been sent to pull herself together and get it under control.
Hmmmm. Yes just one girl.
That's all you need!

November 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Our youngest also goes by his middle name and when he was littler he would tell us which name he wanted us to call him that particular day. We still call him each name, or both together. Whatever we feel like :)

November 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Abra, I can see that you get it. Only my little girl (a dubious sobriquet at best) won't let me do her hair or even wear a speck of pink. She gets the dry heaves when we walk through the girls clothing department. I don't get any of the girl perks so what's the point, I ask you? Sad. Kazzy---I would love to do that but one reason why we call him by his middle name is that my brother got to the first name about a year prio. Actually, we had it first but then we had a miscarriage and then Scott (first name Roland) got it. We could have made W. the middle name but we just thought it sounded better as the first. I get to hear it at the doctor's office and such. It helps salve the wound. My brother was quite surprised when little W.P. Ashworth was blessed, however, thinking that we were going to call him W. (My brother in law actually blessed one of his kids with my sister's maiden name B. instead of his own last name G. --quite the shocker, but Marcus (first name also Roland) had fil's first name so it was a bit confusing. :) And a crack up for us B.'s (though very much a worry for the G.'s)

November 18, 2008 at 4:56 PM
Anonymous  

Well, Miss Heidi, I was shooting to make a new friend, might I quote Heather, have seen you around, that is all, like that you have thoughtful comments and I am seeking some blogging friends that aren't afraid to comment. But then you had ME paranoid b/c no one was commenting.. and so I quickly clicked the comment section to see why others might not be commenting b/c I don't get a lot of comments and then it started my analysis paralysis.... seriously... freaked me out!

I enjoyed reading this posts as well as the others I have been lurking and reading and wish you the best of luck with your book next month! Nice to know another author. My hubby has a published book, is working on his second and I am in the process of finishing up a little collection of thoughts as well. So anyway, thanks for playing along, glad you didn't send out the blog police LOL!

November 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Stacey--ACK! I didn't mean to offend. Like I said on your blog comments, I like the way you think! I am evil in that I will go for the laugh even when it means poking fun at someone, but I ask you, is it funny if you're not poking fun at someone? I honestly thought you had never been here or would be here again. BTW, I thought about you last night at the end of our FHE. The Little Guy proclaimed it the best ever and all we did was go to the park and play on the swings (it's still quite warm here). No lesson prepared, no treat, nothing prepared--and that was the best yet. Goes to show just how lacking I am in the FHE department. I wouldn't dare put a rating box on my blog. Too much in the face failure. So, can we cry pax, now?

November 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I'm starting to think that life is getting really busy for people. I had this blog post in my google reader when it came out this afternoon, but I haven't had a chance to comment until now!

Anyway, I hate being frugal for the sake of being frugal too. And my left handwriting is atrocious. Hey, at least we can read your name!

November 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM

ahaha I'm so lucky that my little girl loves La Senza Girl, it's a fashionably modest store. Although one day, I'll probably sniff a little and dab that dang tear running down my cheek when she groans and rolls her eyes at the mention of Hannah Montanna, or when I suggest she sing that Taylor Swift song one more time... yup, that time is just around the corner, I can feel it with every whiny whimper and teary eyed spastic case... it's coming!

November 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Well, I agree that the available fashions for older girls are a bit too, um, too...yeah, too...too revealing...too mature...too tacky. Just too.

Obviously the upper "Heidi" is the real "Heidi." When I was a morbid young maiden, I learned how to write left-handed just in case my right hand got chopped off or shriveled from some dread disease. Thank heavens I did it young! The poor appendage might have been doomed and useless had I not.

[Got the inside phone wiring done today. Now I just need to reinstall my modem driver. Where did it go? Why did it leave me? Oh well, I captured a new one tonight at the library. I see a blog post in my future.]

November 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Sometimes my brain is mush. So I can't think of anything wise or witty. But I can say that BOTH of your hands write better than my "good" hand. :)

November 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM

My girls are prissy girly girls, but at the price of the "high fashion" that they think they must have or die....I wish they were Tshirts and jeans type of girls, I could afford them then, and the hour my ten year old now needs in the bathroom.....ridiculous!

November 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Erin, just know that it took me many long minutes to write as prettily as I did. Abra, two comments from you today--how lucky am I? Jami! yay! Good to know you are soon to be back online for good! I love the morbid young maiden thing. I might have to steal that one for the book I'm currently (not) writing, Heather--who needs to write well when you type the good stuff (as you do). Hmmm, somehow that doesn't quite sound right but you know what I mean. I hope.

November 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Oops, Christine, you must have been posting at the same time I was. It is true, the fact that my girl is happy with t-shirts and jeans does have its pros. We don't spend nearly as much on her wardrobe as most others esp. since there are only a handful of clothes out there that she likes (and that I'll pay for. There's a lot she likes which I won't pay for--she's into black and punk and goth though she denies it to her dying breath. I don't know where this came from--probably a knee jerk reaction to all the pink and roses I have around here).

November 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM
Anonymous  

oh heavens no, no offense, all is well in zion LOL!

totally cool about your handwriting and guitar by the way...

love having a new blog friend... we are very musical as well at our house, so I'll post some more vids soon.

November 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM

So sad, how early they catch on to the social "rules" so early! Keep lovin' up that little P; it looks like your public hugs are going to be gone quicker than you know it! (At least you'll have them at home, though :)

November 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Stacey--phew! (and thanks for your generosity!) Sadly, I can't play anymore due to the fibromyalgia but I miss it very much. Barb (Mrs.4444)this little guy has been so darn stinkin' sweet, literally since birth, that I had hopes of his remaining unjaded a bit longer than the norm but he idolizes his teenage sister too much. My kids are 19, 13 and 7 so naturally the Little Guy wants to grow up in a hurry. boo hoo!

November 18, 2008 at 8:15 PM

That part about the little guys is cute. Yeah, I'm with you. Frugal maybe wise, but not fun. I choose fun. I have a boy and a girl and they leave each other alone pretty much, but if I had another girl then that would ahve been complicated. I can only handle one girl so I'm glad I ahve just the one :-)

November 19, 2008 at 12:31 AM

I had terrible handwriting as a kid. TERRIBLE. Now it's kind of normal, but Evie has very bad handwriting, too. And she writes slower than molasses in January.

November 20, 2008 at 5:27 AM

Post a Comment