More Confessions Of A Nutty Novelist  

Posted by Heidi in

The Spouse insists (if “mild whining” is a synonym for “insistence”) that I take a blogcation since he is on vacation and doesn’t want to sit there feeling guilty doing nothing whilst I type madly away at the computer. Hence, the re-runs yesterday and the day before.

However, I did have a little experience I thought worth sharing now that The Spouse has dashed out of the house to run a few errands.

I went to the mall.

I don’t do that very often so this is earth-shattering news even if you all can’t really appreciate that fact.

Whilst there, I went into a book store (and no, this is not about finding Miss D on the shelves which is an utterly ridiculous thought because even if some random bookstore decided to stock it, it wouldn’t be out on the shelves yet, anyway--yet, I did think it).

I rarely go to a real bookstore (I’m all about the internet, baby) so I was kind of excited and woozy with the smell of so much paper and print but managed to make a beeline for the romance section, anyway. I did a quick scan and noted that a few older Regency romance novels from back when “they” were still publishing the genre, had been reprinted. One was by a favorite author that I had somehow missed back in the day so I snatched it to my bosom. However (and here’s the thing—finally!) before I left, I wedged a small wad of my beautiful gorgeous Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind bookmarks right there next to those Regency reprints.

I’m evil that way.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at Wednesday, November 26, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

25 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Evil? No. Clever? Resourceful? Funny? Yes.

November 26, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Hilarious! Someone is asking the cashier right now where she can find a copy of Miss D!

November 26, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Lisa--thanks! Kazzy--I hope so! They can order it from any bookstore if they just know about it--hey, that was a better idea than I realized. I hope they didn't just toss 'em!

November 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM

That was brilliant of you!

Bookstores make me a little high on life too. I could spend hours in one.

November 26, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I've been evil enough to slip individual bookmarks into books on the shelf.

It's good promotion, right? :D

November 26, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Ooh, Annette, I love your (evil) style! Yes, Erin, bookstores are like crack to me (though I wouldn't really know since I've never had any--yet, I think blogging might be up there just as high).

November 26, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I love a good romp through Chapters or Indigo.
Heck, I'll take the book section in the grocery store.
I'm not picky that way.

I laugh at the thought of you stashing your bookmarks all over the place!

November 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Okay I am totally going to do this! I have a stack of bookmarks that need to be distributed. This is definitely the right solution. Thanks for the idea!

Happy Thanksgiving

November 26, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Abra--My daughter distributed bookmarks all over the church building the night before the Halloween party--that was embarrassing! Becky--you are very welcome! Annette's idea is stellar, too!

November 26, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Not evil, I would say BRILLIANT! smart girl!

November 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM

It's all about the advertising. Good call, not nutty or evil at all. Brilliant.

November 26, 2008 at 4:11 PM

LOL! That's so cool! You're awesome. Like a super spy planting a secret code.

Cindy

November 26, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Ladies, thank you ever so! (Could I be getting prideful in my evilness?)

November 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I like this idea! I usually leave a stack of very pretty business-sized cards with the cashier of bookstores, asking them to tuck one into the bags of patrons. I also do this in gift shops. Some people don't want to do this, but others are delighted. (And sometimes they say, "Oh, that looks good, I've got to get a copy!)
So keep up your nutty, evil marketing tactics, which are really just savvy!
I love your background wallpaper on this blog, by the way. Well done.

November 27, 2008 at 8:31 AM

You're cracking me up here...

November 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Linore, great idea! Barb--my pleasure!

November 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM

What a great idea!

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

November 28, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Thanks Luisa!

November 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I totally agree about the smell of all that paper and print. I could inhale it all day long.

And ha ha about the book mark. You are such a great literary agent.

November 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

btw, I did read your twin thing. I hear ya. Feel ya.

Verifier say realya

November 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Ver clever, indeed! I love your resourcefulness.

November 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I already blog stalked this post a while ago, but I thought you'd be glad to know that Crash is passing her book on to me when she's finished.
Of course, I'll be reading it on the john, so it will take me a while, but it WILL. Be. Read. 2 pages a day.
Seriously, I want to pick your brain about how amazing it is to be an author.

November 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM

We are so best friends with our not-going-to-the-mall and getting high off the bookstore's mise-en-scene.

I will go to my bookstore and look for Dunhaven Place bookmarks.

November 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM

I'm totally hitting the bookstore today. You're description just reminded me of how much I like it there. I'm keeping my eyes out for Miss D.

November 29, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Crash, sorry about the emotional throw up on your blog--I probably should have just emailed you (but I didn't know how--now I do--but really, it is challenging being a twin) Alyson--is my cousin. You have to go to her latest post to find out how. Mariko--I am honored. I remember the days when the only reading I did was in the bathroom. Ah, good times! Nouveau you--I haven't gotten that far with the bookmarks. I should, though, huh? Nertzy! My nephew lives in your little town, I should have given him some to plant. Eowyn--I'm jealous! I don't make it to the bookstore often--it is too much like a drug--one I can't afford. sniff sniff

November 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Post a Comment