Why Do The Words Politics and True Confessions Just Sound Right Together?  

Posted by Heidi in


I have a confession to make. It’s kind of embarrassing (which is why it's a "confession"). I'm not proud of it and I don’t talk about it much but now that I am on the road to repentance I feel like I can come out of the closet.

I haven’t voted in at least 15 years.
Yeah, I know.

It’s not because I'm Unamerican because I’m not. Unamerican, that is. It’s more that I have been so wrapped up in the special needs of my family and suffering from plain exhaustion and sometimes sheer laziness (brought on by all of the above) that it has been really hard to get out and do it (or, er, even register). Also, for years and years my mind has been so wrapped up in just trying to get through the day that I didn’t have time to really study the issues and I didn’t want to be an irresponsible voter.
Also, there was a little voice inside me that said my one little voice didn’t matter that much. However, “things” (there is a world of meaning in that one word) are much better these days and it would be a bit difficult to NOT know a lot about some of the issues we are facing as voters right now, this very moment.

If there are any of you out there within reach of my cyber-voice who thinks the same as I once did, please, just go out and vote. If you are afraid you don’t understand the issues well enough, just vote on the issues you do understand and about which you have strong convictions. Leave the rest blank if you have to. I just got back from voting and I have to say it is the most important thing I could have done today. Well, except for wishing my sister a happy birthday (Happy Birthday, Kirsten!). Oh, and picking up the Little Guy at school—it would be bad to forget about him. And making dinner . . . I am repenting of my dinner slothfulness and trying to cook at least five or six nights a week this month. (Gah!!)

Oh! And another thing! My post from Sunday is up at Blogger’s Annex today. It’s a great site with some of the best posts in blogdom (though, publishing mine was just an act of charity, I'm sure) so follow this link (below) and read some of the really terrific posts that have been chosen for the honor of being “published” there (you've probably already read mine, anyway, for which I am very grateful).
http://www.bloggersannex.com/

Also, please read this gorgeous post at Kazzy’s Ponderings. You won’t be sorry you did.
http://kazzysponderings.blogspot.com/2008/10/spirit-overhead.html

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 at Tuesday, November 04, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

13 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I hate that my spacing isn't showing up correctly in this post or many others. I try, but it just won't let me put in spaces where I want them! Arghh!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Hmm...weird...sounds like...actually...a template issue. Alas, not one I know how to fix. May need to pick a different one, hun.

As to politics, I've been much the same. I refuse to vote randomly, and I just haven't had time to educate myself.

November 4, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Hey, Kim, good to know I am not alone in this. I am going to do better now that my kids are way older (than yours).

November 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I'm so glad you posted this. The one wonderful thing about this election is that it has inspired a nation to vote (whether you are for Obama or McCain). I was shocked my kids wanted to come vote with us and it made me proud to live in a country where we all have a voice. I left the polling booth with the chills because I was around so many passionate people (even if I didn't agree with everyone).

It's also a wonderful suggestion about leaving ballot choices blank if you don't know enough about an issue. It won't help or hurt and it then gives you the opportunity to have a say in the matters that are near and dear to you.

November 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM

I feel like you are talking directly to me. (are you?) I feel so guilty for not voting, or registering. Hopefully our right to vote will still be intact come next election season, I'll do my duty then, I promise.

November 4, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Repent ye! You can fix this... Thanks for the confession :)

November 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Sorry, that was my husband! He is not laughing, but I am!

November 4, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I didn't know he hadn't logged out. oops

November 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Sometimes life can be overwhelming (I grew up with a special needs sister, so I know). So, you are forgiven. :-)

I need help with my dinner slothfulness. Why can't I just love cooking?!

November 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Excellent post. One thing that we have done twice is vote by mail. I am not sure if it's available in every state, but it gave me the opportunity to read the issues while the ballot was sitting in front of me. I too, feel that I have been more informed this year than other years. Or at least I was more interested this year than others.
So hopefully everyone went out and voted today, now we'll just glue ourselves to the T.V., or computer and see what happens.
xoxox

November 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Hi From a different Tara ...
voted and voted and voted for many years (or as long as I have been old enough) -- but this year chose NOT to vote ... long story about how we got to that decision -- I think it is an awesome right -- not an obligation though ... watching with interest to see how it all unfolds and still feeling good about my decision to abstain this time.

November 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Jen, it's funny you say that because the Little Guy wanted to vote, too. I doubt he will sit home for 15 years without voting--this has all made an impression on him. Thanks everyone for all of your comments--I feel better about things (both my sloth regarding voting and cooking) except for that remark from Gideon (just kidding! I'm laughing--are you? hee hee)

November 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Great post, Heidi. You know, what fascinated me about this election was the energy and drive I saw in people. I know several people, who, by self admission went out to vote for the first time in 10, 15... even 20 years.

November 5, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Post a Comment