How To Lay Hands On The Lovely Miss D  

Posted by Heidi in

The five of us had our teeth checked, photo'ed (I know, not a word) cleaned and polished. Now, instead of having yellow teeth, I have teeth that are a kind of a fluorescent shiny yellow. Yay. (I think.)

I got home and read all my comments and the last was about Miss D--so I went, post haste, to T's blog where she wrote lovely and tiltillating things about Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind (you can too) (er, read what she wrote, that is) and in her comments saw that there are people making comments along the lines of how they are unable to lay hands on the lovely Miss D! (Annette, I apologize profusely if I have used lay when I should have used lie.)

1) go to ldspublisher.blogspot.com where they are having a giveaway until the end of December. There is time--now go! (In fact, my very last copy that I have here at my house is just waiting to be signed and mailed to the winner of this contest.)

2) If your library doesn't have it ASK them to buy it. YES! You can do that!

3) If they thumb their nose at you ASK them to PLEASE borrow it from a library that has it. This is called an interlibrary transfer. This CAN be done. Go to worldcat.org, type in Miss D's full name and it will give you the list of the libraries that carry Miss D. It's just that simple.

Meanwhile, I am glad to report that there was no hurling, barfing, puking, up-chucking, vomiting or casting up of accounts at the dentist today. All was well. Yay for us!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at Tuesday, December 30, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh, The Dentist. My archnemesis. Actually I like my dentist, but I'm not a fan of going to the dentist. Glad there was no puking.

Oh, and I posted yesterday, but am breaking until next week again.

December 30, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I hadn't even realized lie/lay was there until you mentioned it. (See? No reason to be paranoid--really!) I had to go back and reread the sentence once you pointed it out.

(Yes, you used it correctly. :D)

My library is pretty good about getting in books that patrons request. I'll be checking ours to see if it's there yet, and if not, I'll request it.

December 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I own my own copy and am happy to rent mine out for a small fee, which of course I would pass on to Heidi!

Congrats on the dentist. Personally I hate the stuff, but maybe that's because I practically pay the mortgage down there with all of the work I have had to have done.

December 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Oh the Dentist. Lovely.
I need to visit him again soon. The last time I did, I couldn't open my mouth for two weeks.
Oddly enough, that did nothing to assist with my weight losing issue :

I'm totally sad, I was all geared to purchase said book on Amazon, and then my extra spending money has gone to pay the horrific vet bill.
It will have to wait one more month.
But it will happen!
In the meantime, I'll popover and leave a comment on said ldspublisher blog.

December 30, 2008 at 8:31 PM

I used to work for a dentist. I will not gross you out by regaling you with tales of the various mouths I had the privilege of cleaning.

I'm going to have to enter that contest too. Why? Because I'm in kind of a pickle. I'm in trouble with the library for losing a book on...get this...organization. The thing is, this book is SOMEWHERE in my house, and I don't want to pay big bucks for it because I KNOW I'll find it. I just found a small children's book laying flat underneath a row of books on the bookshelf. It had been missing for months. I think it purposely went there just to give me grief.

I may just have to save my pennies until I can get it from Amazon. And I was just telling James how much I want to read it! It will make it that much more sweet when I get it.

December 30, 2008 at 9:09 PM

I love your laugh. It just sounds so evil and happy all at the same time. It made me laugh... I can't even spell it!

But down to more important matters.
I was carefully considering my thoughtful words that I will post here in case I get randomly selected to win that last book!

But- I have already asked my library to get it and I am waiting for that one little sweet call that says "You've got a book".

If not, then I will just go buy it myself because I'm stubborn that way. And I will be able to say that I personally have written back and forth with the author on blogland. And I will get to light my imaginary fire and wrap up in my velvety brown blanket and turn some background music on and read your way fabulous very well written fantastic book about Miss D.

By the way, you are very brave to see the dentist. My mother made us brush our teeth with baking soda and salt and I have never been to the dentist and never will unless I get desperate like Tom Hanks in Cast Away. Very brave indeed.

December 31, 2008 at 6:05 AM

I am about a year past due for going to the dentist. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure my dinky (is that a bad word?) library won't have the book. I'll ask them/demand that they buy it!

December 31, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Thank goodness that there was no vomiting. As you know, I am still recovering from the last recount that I read. :)

I hate the dentist. Ex-rays make me gag and the torturous way they clean your teeth...ack!

I have been giving your question re gifts for grandparents with 39 grandchildren serious consideration. My thoughts: (1) 39, really? How is that possible? (2) With that many kids around, the grandparents need to take a break, away from family. My suggestion: Pool your money and buy them a trip somewhere!

How did I do?

-Francesca

December 31, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Kristina--thanks for helping me figure out how to follow you without the following widget--I DO have other people in the same category whom I want to follow (they aren't the least aggressive, er, assertive about it, tho--but hey, good for you, it worked!) Annette--can I just say phew? Thanks for requesting my book! Yay! Kazzy--so sorry! That's rotten (pun implied). Most of us, er, them have pretty good teeth--we just go every year b/c our insurance pays more and more each year we go--next year, it will pay 100% of most things. Yay! Abra, glad you checked out the LDS publisher contest--I would love it if one of my blog friends won! Rebecca--too funny! Love it! It's true that librarians do look at you funny when you enter the library whilst in "kind of a pickle". Hate that. Jess--I love your style! But be sure to enter the comments on the ldspublisher post, not here--it has naught to do with me---I just hand over the book to whomever the mystery woman behind ldspublisher tells me to. Good job with the baking soda! Alas, my mother didn't teach me that. We all have "good" teeth BUT, I had rubella at age 2 wks (coincidentally, so did my twin sister) and we were given massive doses of tetracycline. Our baby teeth came in brown and black (it took me years to learn how to smile whilst showing my teeth) and the adult teeth came in yellow (and now that they have been cleaned and shined, they are a fluorescent shiny yellow--yay!). That isn't the bad part--the bad part is that my teeth started imnploding, decaying from the inside out. Some of them actually totally decayed and died before I knew anything at all was going on. So, I have to go on a regular basis so that these things can be told to stop before I have to have a(nother) root canal. I'm kind of used to them now (oh stop, I've only had four!) but they are expensive so . . . Erin--thanks ever so! And btw, dinky is a very good word (tho I suppose it depends on what you are calling dinky--could be a very bad thing indeed)(gasp, I didn't just say that did I? I become too bold) Francesca! Yay for you for giving it a go! Sadly, we have tried this ploy one or two times already. They just don't go. "They don't go!" Extra points to the person who can tell me which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta those words come from.

December 31, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Post a Comment