Hail, My Muse, The Chocolate Lindt Truffle!  

Posted by Heidi in

So, I did it! I was gone from blogging, totally and completely gone for an entire day, no writing of blog posts, no reading of blog posts! However, in light of full disclosure I must say that I took a tiny peek at my comments and did check my stats, but only semi-compulsively. Meanwhile, my numbers did not do a full-blown plummet. No post and still I had hits! This is a minor miracle (but I'm not ready to call the pope just yet). Here is the fall-out:

Number of chapters written--one
Number of pages written--eight
Number of words written--2, 573
Number of hours it took--nine
Number of Lindt truffles eaten over and above my daily allowance of three--five
Number of additional poundage due to said Lindt truffles--4/10ths of a pound (I can live with it)
Number of blog posts I need to read to catch up--1, 549, 361

Thanks for all of your support, you guys! You all rock!

Lastly, I just want to share this note my daughter left on my computer screen when I came back from taking the Little Guy to school this morning. I am printing it here so you can see what a food Nazi I am (cuz I would hate for you to think I am some kind of wonderful person who spends all her time writing books and blogging yet still manages to raise children who are completely unwarped as a result). (Also, in light of continued full disclosure, I think it is interesting to note what pains my daughter goes to in order to make me feel loved, if not particularly liked--she's a gem!)

Dear Mommy,

I love you SO much, and I know I have absolutely no idea how much you do for me and for M** and P** and Daddy too. I am sorry I ate the rest of the ice cream the other night –there had been two other cartons of it and I didn’t realize it was much different than the ice cream I was eating. I’m also sorry I finished off the reddi whip, I had sworn there was still more left.

I love you and I’m sorry I’m kind of a jerk. I pray every night (honestly, I do!) that I will be a kinder person –especially to you—each day.

Love,
Your daughter,
M** E** Ashworth.

UPDATE: Thanks for all your sweet comments, I really appreciate them, in fact, I must say, I think you people are very generous and, not coincidentally, missing the point. My daughter is feeling the need to apologize a full 36 hours after the "incident" b/c she mistakenly feels that she had something of which to repent. This was based on the all-out tantrum I threw when I found she had eaten the last of the "good" ice cream (a crime b/c I don't like the other kind The Spouse purchased in his thrifty yet naive goodheartedness but mostly b/c the Big Guy won't take his meds if they aren't crushed, sifted, sprinkled and stirred into said good ice cream) a tantrum made complete with a slam dunk of the empty reddi whip canister into the trash that would have made Magic Johnson take notice and which was so loud, it woke her up out of deep sleep. Well, okay, she was already awake b/c I had gone into her darkened room to growl at her "Did you eat the last of the ice cream? AGAIN!?!?!" like some kind of "Mommy Dearest". That was right before I discovered I couldn't disguise the cheapie ice cream with the reddi whip I had been craving all day b/c it was GONE in spite of my repeated injunctions, all DAY, not to "eat all the reddi whip on pain of something I won't mention b/c it's most likely illegal!" My daughter isn't sweet--she's terrified. But I did love the note. It made my month.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at Wednesday, January 07, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

34 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love your daughter.

January 7, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Getting upset when someone eats your special ice cream is NOT food Nazism. When you are seriously upset/disappointed when your husband eats the last brownie IS. Don't worry. You're okay.

Congratulations on your productive day! And what a sweet note from your daughter. That's one to save for sure.

January 7, 2009 at 11:04 AM

That is a cute note from your daughter! And good for you for not blogging at all. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my own blog and my own "rules." Good job on the writing!

January 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I love the fact that your daughter admits she's the one who did it....in my house Mr. Nobody is always blamed, but never seen. Wow!

January 7, 2009 at 11:18 AM
Anonymous  

what a consciencious daughter.... love it!

January 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM

So cute. Renews my faith in children. :)

Um, yes. Share those truffles, please?

January 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM

That shows what an AWESOME mother you are. Had I admitted to something like that as a child, I would not be here writing in your comment box right now. True story.

BTW congrats on your accomplishments yesterday! ALL of them!

January 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Hey, I responded to all of you in an update on my post. I think it's worth a look-see.

January 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

See? I am normal after all! I got a poem from my son after a hard day with the family! Aren't kids awesome? (And guilt riddling creatures all rolled into one?)

January 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I love lindt truffles! We are kindred spirits! Your daughter is awesome!

January 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Good job! Just for you, I didn't post today, so you have one less post to catch up on. But maybe it didn't help so much because you have nearly 2 million. Phewsh! Good luck with that!

And I'm so glad I'm not the only one that freaks out over things like ice cream.

January 7, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Welcome back. And I want some Lindt truffles. And ice cream. Why do you gotta make me hungry when I'm trying to convince myself that fruit is a dessert?

January 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM

What a tender hearted daughter! A treasure for sure!

January 7, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Way to get so much done!

I've got a note-writer myself. Sometimes I just love them, and other times they make me feel guilty!

January 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Congratulations on the word count! Is this another Regency?

January 7, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Your daughter needs to learn the trick we used when kids. Always leave one bite of ice cream in the carton. Then when you are asked "Who ate all the ice cream?" you can honestly say it wasn't you. With a bite left, it isn't ALL gone. And you were missed yesterday. I am just getting into this blogging thing just as many of my family and others I have met decide they need to curb their habits. Bad timing,on my part, I suppose:-) Good luck on your book though. Is this the Miss D sequal or something else?

January 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM

No More Metal Hangers!!!!

I was going to be so good today (eating good, not blogging good) but now those truffles are calling my name (just the white ones though... hubby can have the rest)

January 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM

What an incredible note!

And to stay away from blogging for a whole day--that is amazing too.

January 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Anonymous  

I must admit, I've had a few truffles myself over the past week. Yummmmmmmmmmmm-O!

And quick question: how do you find time to write with kids in the house?

January 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Mental note: never mess with Heidi's ice cream.

Way to go on your full day of writing! You're on your way...go, go, go (at least on Tuesdays)

January 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Awww. What a sweetie.

I admire your willpower, staying away (mostly) from the blog!

I keep writing 'form' when I mean 'from' and have to keep fixing it. So annoying!

That's awesome on the chapter! You are my hero. I only managed two pages late last night. How sad. It was worth it when Professor was chewing his nails off reading it this morning, though.

January 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I threw a tantrum once because someone drank all the diet pepsi...
Yeah, I did!

January 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM

You guys are going to laugh but I hurt my finger typing yesterday which makes it hard (well, painful) to type individual responses to you all--but just to address a few--I did most of my writing from 10 to 3 when only the Big Guy was home. That's the time of day when he is most independant. It's not like I didn't try from 3-7, in fact, I did get things finished up, but it was a whole lot harder. However, blogging has helped me learn how to tune them out (poor igorned little mites!) Rebecca--good for you on the two pages--that's two more than you had before! And if they had the professor chewing his nails, then even better! As to what the new book is, I'm keeping mum for a bit but I'm glad you're interested!

January 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Tantrums over eaten ice cream? Of course that is allowed. My husband has proudly withheld the "good" chocolate from the kids for 15 years now. "When they are old enough to really appreciate the difference they can have the good stuff I hid up in the highest cupboard."

Glad you took a day off for your writing. I have a blank spot on the nightstand...

January 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM

If anyone wonders why I love Kazzy so much, see her comment. In fact, see any of her comments. And then go read her blog.

January 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Sounds like a productive writing day. Yesterday was productive for me too--I got my manuscript (sans introduction) to my proofreader. Yay for me!

January 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Take care of your finger. It's no laughing matter. My index and middle fingers on my right hand get swollen and stiff from putting together bios for a play. That was nearly a year ago.

January 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Funny. My husband passed around the Lindt truffles last night. Mmm! Didn't get anything written though. Maybe I need more.

Sweet note from your daughter, even you did scare it out of her. ;)

January 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

HAHAHA...I just did that over McDonalds Hot Mustard packets...they didn't have it for my fries! :)

I totally understand...but what a really sweet letter from your daughter!

I wonder if my now 3 year old will ever be that sweet? It just doesn't seem possible!

January 7, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Lindt= the non-living form of ministring angels.

January 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Becky--good for you!! Rebecca, oh dear! Ouch! Jami--I eat Lindt every day and don't write much usually but it's always an experiment I am willing to attempt! Shelle--how funny! Thanks for trying to make me feel normal. Steph-love it! So lyrical, too!

January 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM

What a sweet kiddo.

Hey - your blog made the voting list for the MMB January spotlight. Be sure to tell your readers to go vote for you!

January 7, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I can't believe I somehow missed this post but it was hilarious. I know I've done some ridiculous tantrum when one of the boys looks at me with fear and says "I love you Mommy." It's different than the normal sweet I love you...it's more of the "Good grief she's off her rocker right now maybe if I do something extra sweet she'll get back to normal!"

January 10, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Jen--bwwahhhaaahaaaa! How true!

January 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Post a Comment