Something Brilliant (But Only Ish)  

Posted by Heidi in

I feel a bit sick to my stomach. If I haven’t mentioned it before I kinda, sorta worship Sue. Hers was the first blog I really latched onto when I first started this crazy old blog thing. Before that the only blog I read on a regular basis was Pioneer Woman. (I have since dropped her from my faves. She never reads me. Never! What’s up with that?) So, anyway, to have the chance to be featured on her personal blog has been my goal since day one (it’s been a long 8.5 months). If I win the contest she is having, I can die happy. (I hope that doesn’t freak you out, Sue. Take a quantum of solace (what the helk does that mean, anyway?) in the fact that I live several states away and I don’t have your phone number and Facebook is relatively harmless when it comes to all things stalkerish).

Meanwhile, people are voting. Some of them are even being responsible about it and reading each of the nine nominees to see which blog they like best. (Excuse me a moment while I just go throw up.) As a result, I feel some pressure. A lot. And it’s all right in my gut (er, feeling a bit better now, though). Naturally I have to write something brilliant but my mind is a blank. I’ve looked at it from all angles and, honestly, the only thing I could come up with is this:

Sue is putting together a book called Something Cleverish. Perhaps you have heard of it. Aside from/in light of/despite the fact that one of my blog posts is in it, I think it will prove to be a jewel of a volume. Furthermore/in addition to/not the least of which (anxiety makes me indecisive like that), the proceeds from this book will go to a beautiful family in dire need so I am giving a copy of it to my numerous family members as Christmas gifts (btw, fam, did I mention your gift would be a bit late? Like, January/February late?)

Anywho, one of my sisters became a bit nosy. She started asking questions. She started wondering what the heck she was waiting for and why the heck she was waiting for it and would it be the heck worth it in the end? (the others weren’t even vaguely curious—they are used to bomby gifts from moi so they aren’t expecting much---boy, won’t they be surprised?!).


I love this sister, I really do, so I won’t name her (Lynn) and I won’t tell you that her husband is a professor at BYU Idaho (promise) and I will do my best to keep her out of all of this BUT when I told her the whole Nie-Nie story she said this (I kid you not): “Stephanie’s brother’s (Topher’s) wife (Lisa), the one whose brother is James Valentine of Maroon 5 (James Valentine of Maroon 5), used to baby sit my kids when we lived in Nebraska (USA). Lisa is a beautiful, talented girl and I always thought James was pretty cute, too.”

There you go folks! That’s all I got. Upon this piece of business, I sink or swim.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 8, 2009 at Thursday, January 08, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

37 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love sentences like the one your unnamed sister said! I say things like that all the time! Except, then people make me slow down and say it again. Sheesh. Don't you get what's in my head while I am saying it?

January 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM

This will definitely help you to win! Very funny. Name dropping always helps.

And besides, Sue's post today dealt with Global Warming (notice the capital letters)--way to serious an issue to help her win. And the tone of it was also questionnable :).

January 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Brilliant indeed!

January 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I think you lost me somewhere between Topher and Maroon 5...

"ish" is my favorite non-word of all... and probably my kids least fave...

X - that's my smiley version of my fingers being crossed for your win :)

January 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Dangit! I might just have to vote for you afterall!

January 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Stuff like that makes me crazy. My daughter is the queen of random connections, and I let her get away with it because she's, well, my daughter.

But truly, it sounds like the dog shredded your sister's People Magazine and she taped it back together in the wrong order!

Hoping you win, btw.

January 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Oh are we playing six degress of Maroon five?

I love that game!

Of course you had my vote ebcause you are the only Mormon Mommy blogger I read (I think).It has promted me to contemplate are there methodist mommy blogs I am missing out on being a part of?

January 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Name dropping to win a contest. I don't know...but since we are name dropping, I know Topher and Lisa, too, which is why I latched on immediately to the whole Nie Nie thing...(read on Topher's blog, which, if you haven't read, you must: thejollyporter.blogspot.com).

January 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I must clarify that I don't know them very WELL. My husband's brother and his wife are good friends with them (theater people you know) and so I've met them several times. That's all.

January 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

You adore Sue? Who knew? I never would have guessed?

WV=flatcha Oh! Excuse me. *blushes*

January 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Hahahaha. Love this post!

Whether you win or not I'm going to keep reading your blog, because I think you're charming!

(I rather hero-worship Sue too. But she's never even ONCE checked out my blog. I sent her a nice email once and she wrote me a note back, but that's it. I feel so snubbed! Of course the fact that she has 80 million followers might have something to do with it.)

January 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM

ooohhh! I love Maroon 5! Wait, did I get sidetracked from something?

January 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Great post, Heidi. Two extra points for outing (Lynn) as nosy and greedy.
Not sure what the adjective would be for the last paragraph.

Meanwhile, we're not concerned about any late Cmas gift. We're still anxiously awaiting a lavender sachet.

Cheers.

January 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM

p.s. I just voted. In exchange for my vote, I'll take instructions on how to play "Hide the Slipper." Still haven't figured that one out.

January 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Erin--my sister is a hoot! I wish she would start a blog of her own (adn then there is my other sister who is a hoot--I wish SHE would start a blog of her own, too!) Becky--it is funny, isn't it? bwwaahhhaaahhaaaa!!! Kim-thanks ever so, dear! T--you rock!(ish) Kristina, I would hate for you to go against your scruples. Oh, wait, you don't have any! (Just kidding! Really!) Jana--thanks! Love you! Christine--yes! Whatever how many degrees it is . . .can't help you out on the methodist mommy blogs--the only other methodists I know are methodists either don't have blogs or are linked up with the Mormon Mommy Blogs--so I guess that answers your question. You should join, btw! We're all just moms in this together! Lara--how neat. I hear Lisa is super talented and beautiful. And she baby sat my nieces and newphews. Or did I mention that already? I should have added that my sister thinks Sis. Valentine is pheNOMenal! Jami--I adore YOU too! You know I do! Rebecca--you never know. She is pretty quiet and sneaky but I'm willing to bet she has. Megz--don't get sidetracked too far, now! Reed--talk about being outed! You appear as yourself! And, sorry ladies, but Reed's comments are my fave of this particular batch b/c he's my brother in law and he knows what makes me laugh so hard my brains leak out through my nose. So, Reed, Hunt The Slipper: someone hides a slipper in a huge house and everyone runs around trying to find it. Dull, I know but this was before TV and nintendo and wii fit. Have you ever seen Pride and Prejudice? People paraded around the room for exercise, yes, but also, sadly, for entertainment. Think of it as the precursor to the Miss America Pageant. Oh, wait! I forgot to ask for whom you voted. If it was me, then, yep, there's the instructions. If not, I no longer owe you said anxiously awaited sachet.

January 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Thanks Jess! You posted whilst I was posting. .

January 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, girlfriend!

HIGH FIVE! You go!

hixtedia is the verifier word.

Even your verifier is getting more complex.

January 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM

And still I giggle at your posts. Thanks for the smiles once again! Good luck! I love Sue, too!

January 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Hey with new visitors I think you need to put some of your oldies but goodies on the blog right now! There are some classics......nutrition vampire, IHOP the list is endless!

January 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Hunt The Slipper: someone hides a slipper in a huge house and everyone runs around trying to find it.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

January 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Crash, if I could even begin to define hixtedia, I would feel so much better about myself, Youngblood, I'm glad you stopped by--I now know how to add you to my dashboard without that darn follower widget thing. I'll be there! Soon! I promise! Jen--yes, T will esp. love the IHOP story. Reed--that's what I said! In other words, I agree. My version in Miss D was much spicier, don't you think? And where is my Amazon review!?!!?

January 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM

You funny little conniving thing you! Love you anyway. Even though we're up against each other for spotlight. Grrr...

You're winning anyway. (tongue sticking out ;)

January 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I am sure you will come out a winner, because that is what you are! I wish you all the luck in the world!

January 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Anonymous  

what was the question again? it's after 5, my brain is mush!

small world though huh?

good luck

January 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Alyson--I would have nominated you if I wasn't so busy nominating myself. Yet,I am in the grips of guilt, the result of my conniving ways. I DO have a book to promote, tho. In a few months (or years) I will go away, quietly. Or, kicking and screaming. One or the other. Kelline-you are sweet. How is Abra? STacey--mine too! And it isn't even four here, yet. I started out the day that way, though.

January 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I voted for one of my favorite blogs, sorry (everyone besides Heidi!)!

January 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

No, don't go away!

January 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Good luck -----so if I leave a comment does that mean you will look at MY blog and add me to your "list" cause I am trying to wedge my way into the blogger world here. Sheeesh , such pressure.

January 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Well ya know, it really is a small world. So I am not the least bit surprised your sisters kids were babsat by the sister of a Maroon 5 dude.
And I will go and check out the voting situation. I would also like to buy the book to contribute to Nie Nie. I bought a shirt, but it just doesn't feel like enough.
About bloggers annex. I just joined, thanks to you. I followed your link about why you like Santa's and liked the site. I also just submitted my first post, so be kind please. :)
Also on the second round of reading Miss D. Love it even more the second time.
And by the way. My brother (McKay) is in the same ward as another brother or sister (can't remember) of Nie Nie and he is helping to do some woodwork in the house that was bought there in Provo for Stephanie and Christian. So there ya go, small world huh.
Man, this feels like it's own post instead of just a comment, sorry.

January 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM

So funny! AND just proves the little six removed theory, don't ya think? Because Christians little sister was a really good friend of my very best friend in high school. See? The theory of six. Its real.

And I heart Sue. She never reads me ever, although I am one of her faithfuls AND I'm good friends with her SIL -but she doesn't even know it. AND there is that six theory AGAIN.

January 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM

This was awesomeness upon awesomeness!!! Ohhhhh, I wish I could write!!!

BTW...guess what arrived in the mail today? My son was hoping for his camera...not so! A book for me! I think you might know the author! hehehehe

January 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Kazzy--I might just have to fly to Utah for the sole purpose of giving you a hug! Alyson, okay, I'll stay if *you* want me to, Wendy--yes (and thanks for visiting!) Tara--that is totally amazing! And I love that you are reading it again! You will also get a hug when I go to Utah but, Oh nuts! You live in a diff state! That stinks! Heather--you never know! Sue might read you--she is quiet and sneaky that way. She doesn't have time to comment very often but she does read. APRIL--YAY! And I hope and pray that it will be a teensy weensy distraction for your upcoming challenge. I hope you blog your brains out about it!

January 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I've already voted, but I believe I will steal some wifi from a neighbor in order to get a new ip address to vote again :) How's that for clever - cancelling out my own vote like that? Oh, and don't tell anyone, but I just may cancel out my own vote a few more times after that, because I'll feel bad about the other blog I supported, and so on, and so on, and so on... ;-)

January 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Rachel--how clever! I'm glad to know that people can't vote more than once without going to great pains like that. :) Phew!

January 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Heidi - thanks so much for all the nice things you said. I feel quite undeserving - but love ya muchly.

January 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

PS: Becky, I'm not IN the contest, I'm holding the contest. And yes, it was a very ranty post ;>

January 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Hey, Sue, love ya muchly, too! BTW, ranty posts are fine. Randy posts, not so much. I hear someone who is in this contest thing has a kinda randy post but I am so lame I haven't gone and checked out even one blog of my competition--except I do read New England Living on a regular basis b/c I love Alyson & b/c we are cousins from way back (on the Mayflower!) Who knew?

January 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Post a Comment