It's Not That I Don't Listen When My Kids Are Talking  

Posted by Heidi in

It’s just that the internal monologue is so much louder.

And interesting.

And pertinent. To me and what I think is important and that’s what counts.

Right?

That’s what I thought.

And that’s about all I have to say today b/c of the serious injury to my “d-e” finger—no, that is not code for some nasty word! It’s the finger that types the d’s and the e’s! I use it. A lot. It started as a hot glue gun burn, then it was a water blister the size of Montana, then it burst all over the keyboard on Tuesday whilst writing chapter one of the book I am currently calling NEW BOOK, then it became this incredibly grotesque thing you really don’t want me to explain.

Do you think this is some kind of cosmic force trying to prevent me from my resolution of novel-writing on Tuesdays?

Do you think this is somehow Crash’s doing?

Do you think that Crash is some kind of cosmic force?

So much to think about.


Meanwhile, since I need to rest my finger so it will be all gung-ho on Tuesday for chapter two of NEW BOOK (sort of like New Moon, but not even remotely) I am going to stop now and give you an oldie but goodie I haven’t rerun in many a moon.

And for those who are really new here, esp. Shelle from Blokthoughts since I know she loves posts about things that go poop in the stall, go HERE.

If you want to see my book cover finally and partially shown on the Avalon Books website, go HERE.

If you want to read what Sue of the Quack Shack says about Miss D. go HERE

And if you want to read what other bloggers have said about it—see my sidebar.

Oh, and whilst you are there, see that lovely poll in sidebar A? Please vote if you have a mind to. As for the mindless, the support group is at my house on Wednesday mornings.

This entry was posted on Friday, January 9, 2009 at Friday, January 09, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

34 wise, witty and wonderful comments

So, guess what! I voted for you yesterday! I was able to vote on my work computer too!

All is right in the world.

And I do think that Crash has some sort of superhuman powers.

January 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Kristina, you rock! Sorry if it got you all worried and anxious and your panties in a bunch what with all those other blogs you love. Hmmm, now I feel guilty.

January 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM

1-Go get the "healing bandages" that bandaid sells in the silver boxes. They are expensive but they are so worth it. If it will numb my poor (I know this will be gross cause I hate toes) ingrown toe nails, then I'm sure it will help heal your poor finger!

2-Crash=superhero

3-I love your posts cause I literally LOL! Today, the dog jumped! LOL....there she goes again!

January 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I hope your finger heals incrediable fast, and your not suffering too much!

January 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Crash just might be a cosmic force... but she's probably not out to get you :)

bralsqua? if it was the other way around I'd worry about a chick fight...

January 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Actually, I think Crash may be out to get you. That'd totally be like her, right?

January 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Done (checking out Quack) and done (voted on the poll).

I love that you have loud internal monologues too.

January 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I voted yesterday and it won't let me vote today. :(

Don't give up! I'll send vibes of fingerhealingness to you straightaway!

January 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Checked out Quack, and that's awesome!

James told me last night that Miss Delacourt is available at the library. They must have changed their rules because the last time I requested a book that had just been released they told me they wouldn't order new releases until they'd been out 6 weeks. :(

I'm still searching for that blasted book that's lost in my house so I can get my library privileges back. With my new organizational plan it should only take several months. I'm going to tell James he's going to have to reserve it on his card.

Speechless on the poo post.

January 9, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I love your description of NEW BOOK (sort of like New Moon, but not even remotely). Awesome!

My internal dialogue screams at me sometimes. It usually says "eat chocolate NOW."

January 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

My monologues get pretty snippy when I listen to other people first. I hope you finger heals up and you are at your best by Tuesday!

January 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Hope your finger feels better soon. That is an important finger for more things than just typing.

January 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM

So my internal voice isn't always internal. Which often confuses my kids when they find me standing in a room alone carrying on a conversation. Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't have revealed that. But more importantly--you might want to keep a close eye on your finger. My daughter had the exact thing happen--starting with a curling iron burn--and it never healed. Finally--several months, numerous doctors and a lot of pain later she was diagnosed with MRSA. Luckily it is easily treatable. Anyway, not to be a downer or anything but you might want to be careful. Sorry you are suffering. And most importantly--I also voted for you!

January 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM

My first time commenting on your blog, I don't know why, but I still get nervous...(that sounds a little weird, even to me, sorry!)

Sometimes my kids are to the point of yelling before I finally come out of my head and HEAR them! I totally get that!
Gonna check out the links now, thanks!

January 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

What were you doing with a hot glue gun?

January 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Yeah, ante up for the good band-aids.

Liked the review. I read the end first too, actually. :)

All absorbing interior monologue? Me too!

January 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your middle finger, Heidi. Sounds like a bad case of IllusivePhantomonia. No cure available.

January 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM

April--I am totally going to try those--thanks--never heard of them! I have a jumpy dog, too. I think I am a bit of a sadist b/c I like to make her jump to get back at her for the three weeks two Decembers ago I had to get up and clean doggie diarrhea every single stinkin' morning. It's a miracle she lived through it. Kelline--thanks--you are so sweet! T--helk, I know she's not--she's my friend--I'm just teasing her! Barb--yes! See! That's what I'm talking about! Annette--I love that you love that I have a loud internal monologue and I am pretty sure you are going to love that. Rebecca--pretty sure they only let you vote once per IP address. It is actually a pretty smart way to go but thanks! And the book--weird, huh? I saw it listed on worldcat.org for your town (at least I think St. J's your town, right?) I profusely apologize for the speechlessness. Erin, yeah, I really liked that line, too. It was one of those that just happened and I looked at it and wondered who had thunk it up and was kinda surprised it was me.
Kazzy, tell me it ain't so! Wait! Are you saying you get critical of yourself (hate that! Hate seeing lovely people doing that to themselves!) or are you saying that other people inspire you to be witty and the like OR are you thinking--oh,yes, this is it! You're thinking "I wish that kid would just shut up for once in his life already!" But, of course, not about your beautiful boys. This would be someone else's kid entirely. (I should really go back and erase most of this, huh?) Becky--hmmm, you might have to email me privately and fill me in b/c I am pretty sure I should know what you are talking about but since I don't do anything but type these days, I just can't think what it might be and I am afraid of seeming dumb (as opposed to BEING dumb, which isn't as bad as it might seem) Joy--YES I think out loud. My kids want to put me up for adoption when I do that. And I will deff keep an eye on the finger. If the bandaids don't do the job, I will have to google MRSA (Is that right? b/c if so, I can remember it b/c that would be Mrs. A which is what I am) Lassen fam--you mean, you're a lurker? A real honest to goodness lurker who reads me and doesn't comment? I love it! I have always wanted one of those. But I love the comments more so keep 'em comin' and don't be shy! (And, yes, sometimes my kids have to yell, too. I have trained them to say my name and wait patiently but they like yelling better). Christine, dear cuz, I thought no one would ask!! I was re-upholstering a chair. It was ugly--the accident, not the chair, but I wanted to change it anyway. I will post before & after pics sometime soon simply b/c it is one of the few times I remembered to do a before picture of anything at all whatsoever. Can't resist. Jami Jami Jami! You read the end first? Wait, I think you already told me that. But I am so not that way--I just don't get it. I am so with the creator/writer/artist--I want to enjoy the experience the way it was intended by said creator. When I read story books to my kids, I always read the author's name like it's a huge deal. I think this has what saved my relationship with my daughter--she thinks authors are wayyyyy up there and now that I am one, she figures she can turn a blind eye to my too-loud chewing and broadway musical show music (hmm, that would be more of a deaf ear, huh?). As a result, I am less often filled with the desire to beat her. It's all good.

January 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Reed--before you think I am a total dweeb (more than you already do, that is) Illusivephantomonia is the middle child's blog. Yeah. I know.

January 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Anonymous  

vote placed ma'am

January 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Oh Heidi...that story about your BIG GUY...I wrote a comment over there...but that is just TOO funny! "step on the gas!" So something I would do...

Anyway...Crash is out to take over the world and get everyone...so don't feel picked on...that is just how it is. She is now getting over a 100 comments?!!! I totally have blog envy! Oh well!

I am going to see if your book is in my library today and go check it out if it is...if not, guess what? I am going to buy it off Amazon! Yea for me!

I can tell I will like your writing already!

And about the voices...they aren't as HIGH pitched and whiny to me...and they tell me all sorts of good things about myself...I like them. ALOT!

January 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Yeah, Crash is totally a cosmic force. I bet she can heal your finger with all the vibes going on at her retreat!

Ha, I just did my first re-post today :)

January 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Stacey--thanks ever so, doll! Shelle--yes, Crash is awesome but really, how many of those 100 are Crash? And how many are Alyson at New England Living? It's not like it's 100 diff people . ..but still, yah! Great idea! Thanks for comtemplating reading my book! Those are the voices I love to hear! (Meanwhile, my 14 yo daughter won't read it. What's up with that?) Rachel--congrats on your first repost! I'll bet if I went to see Crash, my finger would heal but I'll bet a lot of it would have to do with the fact that I was in Hawaii and by the ocean and loving life. sigh

January 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hey thanks for the comment. It's like winning an Emmy or something --and hey, you are nominated for a peoples choice award so good luck. As for Camelot --Richard Burton all the way. I even saw it live on stage with him in Seattle many years ago. I too know it practically by heart. --for happy ever afterings than here in Camelot.

January 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Wendy--you're very sweet but I'm kinda floored by your comment. Getting a comment from me is like winning an Emmy? Oh, me, oh my. Not even. Camelot on stage!?!? How wonderful! I never did but my mom saw it w/Robert Goulet as Arthur and she said at the end someone had totally lost it, was just sobbing her heart out and it took her awhile to realize it was her. That made a pretty big impression on me so I watched the movie and played the record (yah, I'm old) pretty much incessantly and proceeded to read all the fantasy fiction out there about Arthur---but I still haven't read L'morte D'arthur if that makes even a lick of sense.

January 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I came to your blog from the mormonmommy site. I went to avalon from your link and am assuming that if your name is Heidi that you wrote the book about historical romances? That's pretty cool. However do you get started on writing a book? And am I to assume that your tuesday-novel writing is actually working on a novel? So many questions. I'm just curious.

January 9, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Hi Heatherlyn, first let me say how glad you have a lyn at the end of your name b/c I have three Heathers who read my blog and I love them all but four is just too many. (not to scare away any other heathers who might be wishful of commenting but would you mind changing your name first? Thank you very much.) Yes, I am the Heidi Ashworth on the Avalon site with the historical romance. Thanks for visiting! How does one get started writing a book? One word at a time. I have actually written about four but this is the only one that is published. Writing books is something that can be studied and learned or it is something that you can just do b/c it is a talent you have. Some people write computer programs, some people are good with wood or playing the piano or they have inborn instincts about the law and how to make wise judgements. Writing is my thang. It would be as hard for me to tell you how it is done as it is for someone who is an instinctual cook to tell someone a recipe that they just threw together. However, I do have advice. Read read read. And then read some more. And write--every day, even if it just a paragraph in your journal.

January 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I hope your finger heals quickly! I think it is a sign that opposition is mounting to keep you from attaining your goals; buckle down and don't let the adversary win!

January 10, 2009 at 5:40 AM

OK that is the best ever combination of title/opening line. EVER

January 10, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Wow!! You're an author too? You are so talented!! How can i get my hands on your book?

January 10, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Thanks so much for the comment and add! You rock!
Yes, honest to goodness now de-lurker! :)
I really enjoy your writing and sense of humor, you really just seem so real, which is great! Thanks! Oh, and I love the poop story--classic! haha

January 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Hee hee. First, hot glue gun injuries on your d/f finger stink! But I didn't do it. I may be a cosmic force, but not to keep Miss D from marrying the man of her dreams and having to spend eternity with her disappproving ILs. hee hee

And I so know exactly what you're talking about the INTERNAL monologue. Girlfriend, high five. It's like a split screen life, right?

January 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Hey, I just noticed the Kristina thinks I have superhuman powers. Wow. That's a lot of pressure.

Ohmygoodness, I read everything you guys said about me and you're wrong. And you're right.

Amen.

January 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Luisa, thank you! I bought the band aids April suggested and I think it is really helping! (put it on a persistent zit on my face & that is much better, too! so thanks April!) Hey, Randi--thanks! Love you! Jennifer--thanks for visiting & commenting! Click on the amazon link at the very top of my blog to get your hands on the Miss. Lassen fam--I'm going to have to read your blog so I know what to call you, huh? I am honored to have been your first follower! Crash, Crash, Crash, what can I say?!?! What you said--exactly!

January 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Post a Comment