The Sunday Reflections of a "Re-incarnate"  

Posted by Heidi in

I have heard it said the reason people of the medieval ages were so preoccupied with religion and what would happen to them once they had died was because death was something to look forward to in a life full of lice, middens and rampant disease.

There was a time in my life that was as full of thoughts of the afterlife as any medieval maiden’s (such as:)

Will I ever have my own home in this life? (That’s okay, I’ll have a mansion in heaven.)

You mean I’ll never be pain-free again? (That’s fine, I’ll have a new body after I’ve died.)

There goes my life-long dream to travel! (It doesn’t matter; there’s no place or time I’ll be denied once I am shed of this life.)

I wish I could see the Big Guy free of his disabilities. (I can’t wait until we are dead and I can know who my son truly is.)

Do I really need to keep this punch bowl? (No, I’ll never have the need/opportunity/capacity to throw that kind of party in this life. If there is punch in the next life, I’m sure a gorgeous crystal bowl will be provided.)

During my personal medieval times, these thoughts were the chicken soup for my soul.

Fast forward a decade or so to a day when the once-wretched hovel dweller was princess of the castle.

It even had a punch bowl.


(Tune in tomorrow for all the details on the kind of day that makes you want to hang around for a good long while.) (Plus pictures.) (And thank you so much for all of your encouraging words in my comment box. It means a lot!!)

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 at Sunday, February 15, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

25 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh Heidi! I love your view on life. It can be a hard one with glimmers of gold in it! I can't wait to see what eternity brings me, too!

February 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM

You should totally write one of those Chieck Soup for the Soul books. Maybe you could make them not crappy.

February 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I hope for an uncorrupted government system. I want everything to be fair. Imagine how often I am disappointed! hahahaha!!

BTW...How did it go yesterday???? DETAILS!!!!

February 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Anonymous  

I'm glad to hear you're the queen of your castle (and not in the Seinfeld kind of way. ;) )

Honestly, you don't know how uplifting it is to hear you say that you have a "punch bowl princess" kind of day because it gives so much hope. Just to know that good things really DO happen to good people...it makes it worth stickin' around.

February 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

A punch bowl, plenty of chocolate and some really good rolls!

February 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM

It's pretty wonderful when your life reaches punch bowl status. Can't wait for details!

February 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I am quite worried about the "after life" actually. I need blue jeans, t-shirts, diet coke, mountains, rivers, horses, and football stadiums....and librarys. I don't want to wear white all day (I always spill on white) and I am sure I am totally lousy with the harp.

February 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM

p.s. and I always am breaking the punch bowl

February 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM

This was bittersweet. Looking forward to the next post.

February 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I collect punch bowls :) I use them for salad bowls for weddings. So this is a great post that made me smile.

February 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Knowing there is a life after this and that it is much better often brings me comfort. It will be wonderful to have perfect bodies and not have to worry about many of the mortal concerns we have.

February 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

My grandmother always told me growing up that I needed a good punch bowl for entertaining... in 15 years of marriage I've used it once... I suppose I either need to get out more or give away the punch bowl!

February 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM

What a nice reminder for this wreched hovel dweller. Someday. . . someday.

February 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Keep the punch bowl. Just the hope of an ideal is part of living.

I am anxious to hear about your day yesterday. I thought about you :)

February 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Oh my goodness. I'm so behind. I just scrolled through several of your previous posts. I'm trying to piece everything together. You had a party and a speech. HOW DID IT GO? And where did you get that fabulous cake decorated like that? And did you see Jami? aaaaaaaaah!!! And did your teeth go black? I really love you with black teeth. It's a totally shabby chic look for you. Very Diva.

And I don't know what the what about the snow murder.

I'll have to tune in next time. I'm so tired right now.

STill LY and MY

February 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Hillary--you are so sweet to see it that way--thank you! Kristina--are they? I have never read one. Good to know. April--details tomorrow! Laura--absolutely yes, here is hope! Jami--and I went on the best date, too!! Lara--gotta get some pics converted first . . .Wendy---you crack me up! Annette-I like that description a lot, thank you! Jan--what a great idea! I guess I'll have to go and replace the one I got rid of. Becky--no doubt! T--same here! Who knew I would really want one after 22.5 yeas of marriage? Rachel--It'll get better, I promise! Kazzy--how I wish you had been in my life for so much longer--I would still have my punch bowl (I had to borrow one) Crash---YES I got to see Jami and hug her and laugh with her and she is so darn stinkin' pretty! Pictures tomorrow!!

February 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Yeah, I sometimes ponder about the after life. I wonder how much of what we think it will be is psychological, our way of mentally dealing with a current situation we struggle with? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

February 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Oo I do this too. I need a vacation without my kids but it looks like I'm only going to get that on the other side.

February 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM

WoW! What a coincidence! I took my wife BOWLing for Valentine's Day too! Except she didn't PUNCH me when I beat her. Wait. That didn't sound right. I didn't 'beat' her physically, just at bowling. And then, she was merciful not to go all MEDIEVAL on my butt...like usual...

Is that...is that what I meant? Yeah. Well, good enuff for Sunday night, anyways. I seepy now. G'night, Princess.

Have fun storming the castle...

;)

P.S.: Seriously tho...beautiful post. :)

February 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM

What a beautiful post, Heidi. I was loving your little list and then I got a lump in my throat and started to cry when you mention knowing who the Big Guy really and THEN laughed at the punch bowl one.

I can't wait to hear how everything went, but for now, I just want to say how much I love this post.

February 16, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Beutiful insights!

February 16, 2009 at 8:57 AM

These are very deep, thoughtful questions.

Does this mean I should get rid of the punch bowl I have only used once since I got married 12 years ago?

February 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

whoa, I am out the the blogging world for a week and I missed a lot on yours!!! I can't wait for part 3, want all details on the booksigning, and can't wait to see the black teeth photos.
xoxox

February 16, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I would leave a really good comment but then I'd just be repeating LisAway. So um...what she said.

I just love you,
Heather

February 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about, the next life does seem temptingly perfect, doesn't it.

February 16, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Post a Comment