Yes, Cinderella, Dreams Really DO Come True!  

Posted by Heidi in ,


Yesterday’s post was all about a time in my life when I ditched my punch bowl since I knew my home would never be big enough to throw so much as a baby shower, (even if the mother was a skinny preggo like TAMN). Besides, why would I invite anyone in to witness my life as Keeper At The Zoo? Someone might get wise and call Child Protective Services. Meanwhile, I had utterly given up my lifelong dream of being a published author since I honestly wanted my kids to live long enough to reach adulthood and my husband to live long enough to see them do it (sorry if that seems overly dramatic but they were sick, people--sick!) even more than I wanted to write and I was too tired to figure out a way to do it all. So my one publishable manuscript spent its life being knocked around in a box (probably the one in which the punch bowl used to dwell).

Fast forward to the night before the Big Day. I knew I ought to go to bed early and get rested up for my speech (about which I was uncharacteristically pants-wetting nervous) and the party (I hadn’t given one in eons—what was I thinking?) and the last of the house cleaning (it’s pretty small but it hadn’t been properly cleaned in, um, eons) and a last ditch flurry of exercise in order to lose four more pounds before afternoon (I’m nothing if not unrealistic) but I hadn’t decided yet on which section of Miss D I was going to read at the signing. I was up until midnight reading, out loud, section after section, looking for a part that said good things about my characters yet refused to reveal my lack of proper elocution (hey, I know what the words mean and how to spell them—mostly—but pronouncing them in such a way that they could be understood is a different matter altogether).

Once I made my choice (which proved to be a real winner) I laid awake for hours, thoroughly sick to my stomach and insanely worried about how everything was going to get done and would anyone show up and what if too many people showed up and what if they were all someone I know, yet, what if strangers came too, and what could I possibly say that would not bore some to tears but make others want to buy the large supply of books the bookstore owner had unaccountably chosen to order. By morning, (I woke far too early) I realized I was as nervous as I was on my wedding day and as excited as I was to (finally!) see England and it was not a good combination. After a number of unfortunate events in the bathroom, the day started. And there was nothing I could do about it.


The Details, Good and Bad:

Good: My kind friend Janey took care of preparing most of the food, all of which was delicious and plentiful and gorgeous to look at. The chocolate dipped strawberries were the real winners, some like tuxes and some like spider webs, soooooo pretty and they tasted even better than they looked.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . that's a garland of roses in case you can't tell

. . . . . . . . . . . See the cutie-pie heart shaped rolls I made? I got exactly one, sans butter. Nertzy!


. . . . . . . . you can barely make out the strawberry designs on the left hand side of the pic

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .see how adorable the cake is with the spine and the pages?

Bad: The paucity of non-fuzzy, illustrative photographs (i.e, no good ones of the strawberries) as well as the plethora of photos that were just a little TOO revealing (I really didn’t want my nose-hairs, double chin and yellow teeth so thoroughly documented on this day of all days).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . me minus the nose-hairs, yellow teeth and double chin

Good: My kind friend, Stacey, making room in her schedule to cut my hair earlier in the week which hadn’t been touched by a true professional in, um, eons.

Good: Seeing my best friend from high school, Mary, after 20 some years (is that an eon?) of not (laying eyes on each other) and the fact that she arrived an hour before she was expected which allowed me to laugh and have a great time and totally forget how nervous I was. I rode with her to the bookstore and she kept me delighted and distracted pretty much until it was time to speak. Thanks Mary!!!

. . . . . . . . . . me with Mary and Sugar the vicious attack dog (and the yellow teeth and double chin)
Good: I got to sit in a nice black leather chair while I spoke which no doubt prevented me from measuring my length on the floor (regency-speak for “falling”).

Good: Some friends showed up whom I hadn’t seen in half an eon and whom I had not expected to see for half an eon more.

Good: The bookstore owner said some really nice things about Miss D when he introduced me.

Bad: It made me blush to the roots of my hair and I almost burst into tears.

Good: Finally starting to feel comfortable and in my element to the point where I could give my little talk and actually make good work of my chosen section of the book (as suggested by my good friend Shirley Marks—thanks Shirley!)

Good: Getting to meet and hug and spend time with Jami, my good blog friend who I had never before actually met but who is even prettier than she is in these pics (as am I –honest!). Plus, I got to meet her sister-who-wishes-not-to-be-blogged-about. She was a total kick in the pants.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . a fuzzy but so fun pic of Jami . . .


. . . . . . . . . . . . back at my house after the speechifying and the wheat eating . . .

Good: Having so many supportive friends (and even some family) show up to listen to me talk (which, after all, they can do any old time) and buy my book and come to the after-party to eat all that great food and make my day even more special.

Good: Receiving gifts! Totally was not expecting that! Thanks Shirley (crocheted hand warmers and a combo neck/nose/lips/ear warmer as well as a copy of her new regency romance, An Agreeable Arrangement, which sports a cameo by Sir Anthony and Lord Avery) and Jen, who has been a rock of support and encouragement (love the chocolate bath toiletries! How perfect are they? Can’t wait to try them out!).

Good: My friend Lisa informing me that my Little Guy, who was sitting with a group of his school and church friends, said “The reason why we are all here today is because my mother wrote a book.”

Bad: No pics of Janey, Stacey, Jen, Lisa or Shirley or even my mom and dad.

(This is where pics of them would be had I any.)

Good: Shirley’s husband bravely eating the black gel on the cake (he threw himself under the bus for us ladies—what a guy!!)

. . . . . . . . . . . .black gel galore (but the inside tasted yummmmy!)

Bad: Not getting a picture of his black teeth afterwards.

Good: Getting to eat lots of chocolate-enrobed wheat.

Good: Going to Applebees with Jami, her sister and my daughter and eating Italian-flavored pasta and chicken and then, for dessert, hot chocolate -flavored wheat with vanilla ice cream and chocolate fudge, and talking and laughing for three hours whilst The Spouse held down the fort at home.

Bad: The Spouse, who was in charge of getting the food out and ready whilst I signed books, didn’t realize that he was supposed to add other ingredients to the fozen berry juice concentrate so the punch bowl contained merely juice rather than “punch”.

Bad: no pics of the punch bowl table with its hot pink tablecloth and ruffled skirt.

Good: The Spouse worked himself to the bone to make my day special, as did the Middle Child. And she didn’t hate me for it afterwards.

Good: My sister adored my damaged heart shaped sugar cookies and even took some home with her.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .my damaged sugar cookies

Good: I got to have a for-real, honest to goodness, “I’m a published author now” book signing and after party. How cool is that?

Good: I think I made my parents proud.
(Hey, my lovlies, it took me most of Monday to write this what with my wheat-brain going on just now and tomorrow is my novel writing day so I am going to be late getting around to all of your posts--but I will!! Love you all so much! Thanks for all your support!!)





This entry was posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 at Monday, February 16, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

61 wise, witty and wonderful comments

It sounds like the good really outweighed the bad. And where did you get that pink top? It's adorable!

February 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Sounds like a great party/signing/event! I so wish I could have come too! I hope you are recovering nicely--I am sure the exhaustion has set in, not to mention the wheat/ black frosting impact. Still, I am sure it was all worth it. Congratulations!!!!

PS, loved your outfit!

February 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Good: all the awesome, amazing stuff that you got to experience cuz of the way cool book you wrote.
Bad: the fact that this post didn't focus entirely on chocolate covered strawberries.

February 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM

It all looks lovely!

And your pink blouse is perfect. Me wanty!

February 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Looks nice! I love the cake, black gel and all. By the way, good call on the blouse! You rock!

February 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I'm so happy for you! It looks like it was a spectacular day all around!

Hugs,
Cindy

February 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Congratulations!
The cake looks perfect, as does the author. Well done.

February 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I love how well you match your book cover! Perfection!

Wish I could have been there...sound like it was wonderful!

February 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Glad it turned out so fabulous after all that worry!

Well done on outfit matching book cover - so very cute!!

Yea you!!!

February 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Heidi, I was nervous just reading about how nervous you were! But It sounds like it was a success! You're so lucky ! =) Congrats

February 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM

It sounds like the good definitely outweighed the bad.

And what a fun opportunity to do lots of things you haven't done in eons!

February 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Anonymous  

Heids,

How I wish I could have been there for it. Which part did you read aloud? I agree with everyone here: shirt=brilliance and sophistication all in one! I'm so happy for you! I would have bawled all over the place if I heard my kid says "we're here because my mom wrote a book." I'd just bawl. What great kids.

Congrats, congrats! You deserve it!

Love,
L.T.

February 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM

You look gorgeous. Your party looks scrumptious. I am dying to know what section you read! I am so glad you had a great day. Isn't it nice to get a pay off like that?

February 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Oh Yay! I'm so glad that it all went well despite the worries. Why do we do that to ourselves??

You're amazing! I'm glad your day was, too!

February 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM

it looks like the shirt was MADE to go with your book! Perfect choice!!

yummy looking food - I'd say you know how to throw a good shin-dig despite your inexperience!

Juice/Punch - nobody will ever remember that in a few years :)

February 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Kristina--it came from a store called Papaya. It's bascially naught be a dickey but is meant to be a blouse which is why I am wearing that black thing over it. Yikes! Becky, yes, so tired!! Barb, next time I will try to talk more about the strawberries. :) Melanie, Katie, Cindy, Lara, Homesteading and Val thanks so very much! Scarlet--I really was so nervous! It pretty much ruined a good chunk of the day. I wish I hadn't been. Erin--yes, the good did most def outweigh the bad! Laura--I read starting near the top of page 56 when Ginny and Sir A are talking about his leaving the Barringtons--and then walks in Lucinda and than Lord Avery. Tons of fun! Kazzy, I know it is far from the most important thing in life and I am much more proud of other accomplishments that I will probably never get any recognition for, if you know what I mean, but it was VERY nice and fun and I highly recommend it! Randi--I just don't know. I knew I was doing it to myself at the time but I just couldn't seem to stop! Argh! T--aw shucks! (blushing) Maybe they'll even forget by next week (I hope!)

February 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM

It's true: we did look better than that. And the blouse rocked! (Hers not mine.) And the food was yummilicious! And the company was even better than I expected.

It was Happy Heidi Day!

February 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

And she does a delightful Lucinda voice. Get the book on tape. I couldn't stop giggling.

February 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I went to bed having dreams about the food. I am still thinking about the treats right now. I've never seen so many beautiful treats that also taste good (I truly think the last time I found that combo was in Paris!).

I think the dickey/blouse is so perfect it must be a new profile photo for you!

February 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Wow! All the food and treats look so good! Love that cake!!! AMAZING! And your pretty shirt... That is my favorite! You look wonderful!

February 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Wow, what an amazing day for you. You need to just revel in all the glory. Imagine, seriously Heidi, you are an author---thatis a BIG accomplishment. You deserve to feel like a queen ---if only for a day.

February 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Anonymous  

WHAT AN AWESOME CAKE!!! Seriously, that would be worth having black teeth for! Such a wonderful day for you, the fulfillment of years of dreaming! And getting a book published was just the icing on the cake -- lOOK at all that scrumptious food! That looks better than what we had at my wedding!

February 16, 2009 at 6:50 PM

So thrilled for you!

February 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM

When I saw the picture I was like, "OMG! She got Ace of Cakes to make her a cake!!!" And I was so excited.
I'm still excited, because I love that cake, black teeth and all. When I write a book (never) I will definitely have a cake (I may need to make a prototype just to make sure this part comes true).

February 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I still love that cake... can't believe you cut it all up and ate it!

February 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Jami--the company was better than you expected? I hate to think what you expected (no, don't tell me!) YOU were tons of fun. I expected that! A book on tape would be tons of fun, too. Jen, wow! Paris? Really?!?! Sabrina, Wendy, Sue, Kim, Mariko,Fiona, thanks tons and tons (which is what I gained in one day eating all that stuff!)

February 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM

YEAH!!!! I am so happy that all the important things went smoothly! Now for round II, UTAH!

February 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM

You are so self-depreciating, so you are probably really cool in person. You look radiant in your photos. You glow with that "I am an accomplished woman" glow and rightfully so. You are a published author with a real-honest to goodness book signing. What an accomplishment! Congratualtions!

February 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Everything is so great. I love the cake, your blouse, your words and your blessed life. You are surrounded by such great people Heidi. That should tickle you "pink"..

February 16, 2009 at 8:53 PM

How great is that!!! And how fun for me to participate from afar by being able to read about your day. I also enjoyed the pictures. Your experience is proof that dreams can come true if we work hard at them. I heard a funny little saying the other day that said, "Work will win when wishy washy wishing won't." Good for you for working hard and never giving up!

February 16, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Well, I expected a charming, beautiful, well-spoken, fun Heidi. And you were more of everything I was expecting. It's a good thing. ;)

February 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Yeah!! I am so glad that everything went well, I wish all of us family more east and south of you could have come to support you as well. You know If I lived right there, I would have totally been front and center at the bookstore and totally at your house eating the black cake afterwards.
Congrats and way to live your dream!!!
xoxox

February 16, 2009 at 9:06 PM

April--yes, can't wait for UTAH!! Marivic, thank you! That is so darn sweet! Jan, yes that was the best part--the tickle-me-pink people! Joy, love that quote! Jami-I was just teasing you! Your cheeks turn a delicious pink when you blush. Wait, that's Miss D. :) Tara--I would have loved for you to be there! Too bad you don't live near your mom or I could see you when I go to Utah!!

February 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Congrats on the fun party, sounds like all it was missing was Kristina in a pink snuggli.

I just borrowed the book and hope to read it this week.

February 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I'm so sad I haven't been able to comment earlier (out of town, you know.), but I'm SO SO SO happy for you!! That sounds like such an amazing day and very much deserved! If you do come to utah I will definitely be coming to the signing! :D

February 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Oh! I'm so glad it all came off so well! That food looks delicious and I still can't get over the cake.

I love that you were grateful for your friend to be there to keep your mind off your nerves. I think I would have been a little annoyed to have to try and focus on anything else. You're great.

And I wish I could have been there!

February 17, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Love the blouse. I would expect good things to come from a store that is called Papaya.

Congratulations!!

February 17, 2009 at 7:14 AM

I am so glad your day went well! Congrats again.

February 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM

It's been so much fun to follow your journey. The book cake, I'm still amazed. It looks so good. And what an event to have a book signing. So many people came. That is so exciting! You deserve this. It's wonderful!

February 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM

It's been so much fun to follow your journey. The book cake, I'm still amazed. It looks so good. And what an event to have a book signing. So many people came. That is so exciting! You deserve this. It's wonderful!

February 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM

No "black teeth" pictures?

Are you crazy!!!???

February 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Reed, what can I say? The 8X10 photo I brought to the signing with my teeth all blacked out (by you) was a huge deterent. Shirley's husband had the black sucked out of his teeth before anyone could swing a cat let alone take a picture. Nutty Hamster--I hope you like it! Melinda, I will see YOU in Utah! Lisa--honestly, you would have been glad, too! I was literally sick from nerves and it felt so much better not to be. Pink, Kelline, Heatherlyn--thanks so much! You guys all rock!

February 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Sad that I didn't get an invite...I'll just pretend that I was there in spirit. The food all looks so fabulous. Don't mind if I take the whole tray of chocolate-covered strawberries. You just knew they are my favorite. Thanks for the crackers and cheese, too. It makes it okay for me to eat about 5 of the cupcakes. Oh, and I'll be brushing my teeth for like the next 50 years to get the black off from eating the cake, but you are right, the inside is delicious!

There, I feel like I was there.

February 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Oh, and like the rest of your Utah following- if you come to Utah, I'll be there. Melinda and I can carpool! YEAH! We could even drag along the rest of the RS and it could be the biggest book-signing EVER! Totally cool.

February 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM
Anonymous  

Heidi,

Well, I didn't win your book on TAMN's give away, so I guess I'll have to buy it myself. I'm looking forward to reading it. Glad your little fete was a success. It was really gratifying to get your comment on my blog. Thanks and best wishes for continued success.

February 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Food looks scrumptious and would fit into my diet plan nicely. Also I think you looked gorgeous, that's a good colour on you!

February 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM

LOVE the photos and all the excitement. I'm seriously so excited for you. I hope you've gotten some rest now. :)

February 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM

This post made me cry. Congratulations! Seriously. Your book sounds fabulous! Jenni

February 17, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Julie--I hope to see you in Utah!
Pam and Abra, thanks bunches! Heather--ha ha! That is so funny! (I am starting to feel a little bit better today) Jenni--how sweet of you! Thanks for visiting my blog!

February 18, 2009 at 7:09 AM

The good far outweighed the bad, so this event was spectacular. Congratulations.

Everything looked yummy, even the black icing -- I love the book cake.

February 18, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Good: Being mentioned for the first time in a Blog!!

Better: Eating those Yummy strawberries & bisquits!

Best: Knowing a published author and getting a personalized autographed book! Not having a bad hair day picture on the blog!

Bad: Eating too many strawberries, and not getting to try the 'black' frosted cake that looked exactly like the book!

February 18, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Helen, thank you so much! Lisa--hey, thanks for coming! It meant a lot! Glad to be able to ply you with strawberries and biscuits!

February 18, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I know you meant Damaged "Heart Cookies", but I read "Damaged Heart" cookies...I think Damaged Heart would be an excellent theme for a romantic novel!

February 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Very good point AND excellent idea!

February 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Wow! Your book signing party looked wonderful! It sounds like it went pretty well too.

Can I tell you how hungry I am for pink frosted items now!

February 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

That was beyond amazing! I'm so glad your day went so well. I wished I lived there. . .

February 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM

OMGOSH! How did I miss this? Oh yea, HISTORY DAY! It sucked the life out of me.

It's so fun to see your teeth. And it's so fun to see Jami! Wow! It's so weird to see her. She doesn't look like I picture her to look. She doesn't look like her old profile pic. I feel like I have to get to know her again. What is she like Miss Heidi?

And Miss Heidi, how many days did it take you to write that post? That was a mega long super duper uber forever party post.

And I LOVE your outfit. So Miss D.

February 23, 2009 at 7:26 PM

ACK! I just ignored my son and wrote an uber long comment about your teeth and Jami and your uber long post and now it's disappeared.

UGH!

Short version. Good to see your teeth. Good to see Jami's teeth. What is she like in real life? Is she scarey? Is she sweet? Is she scarey/sweet?

LOVED YOUR OUTFIT. So MISS D. And can't believe I missed this post. It's forever long. I will blame it on HISTORY DAY!

February 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

OMGOSH! What the what? You are doing blog owner approval now? Are you that up and uppity? And I just wrote my comment twice because I thought it disappeared and now everyone will get to read both comments. How embarrassing.

February 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I'm not coming back just to get you to 60 comments either!

February 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM

It looked so lovely, and that cake was amazing! I admit, when I saw the first cake picture I thought "When did she change the font on the cover?" Hahaha.

Congratulations!

March 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Post a Comment