The Big Guy #2--The Call Back Interview  

Posted by Heidi in

(the first part of this story can be found here)

On day, in high school, my friends and I were sitting on the front steps during lunch hour. I noticed an old man shuffling across the street towards the school. He looked unsure of himself and too weak to be out and about. I watched him meander around for a few minutes then walked over to him to ask if he needed any help. He seemed totally disoriented so I took him to the office. He was so very thin and lost—not just physically, but mentally, as well.

I stayed with the man until the people in the white coats came to pick him up. The nurse was wearing one of those white hats with the fly-away wings and there were men with nets. I will always remember his fear and how I felt it in my own heart. After they had taken him away, I went to class. Just before I opened the door, I burst into tears and had to wait in the hall for a minute to get myself under control. I was shocked by the wealth of sorrow I felt for this stranger. More than that, I was so touched by what I had done--as if it were the actions of someone else, or a story I had heard in church. For years I chastised myself for that. I didn’t realize then what the eternal part of me knew and rejoiced in; I had passed a test, one I later came to think of as the Lord’s way of proving whether or not I was still willing.

Many are called but few are chosen. I don’t think I was chosen because I am any different than anyone else except, perhaps, in one way only--I was willing. Of course, the Lord always knew I would be. It was I who needed the knowing.

This entry was posted on Saturday, March 7, 2009 at Saturday, March 07, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

26 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I don't know how missed your prior post about the interview, but it's beautiful.

This made me think of my grandfather, who before he was palced into a home for alzheimers, would get out and wander the neighborhood. So many neighbors took him in and showed him love and compassion even though he didn't know who he was.

March 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM

It is interesting how when we look back, we can see how we were prepared for things.

Thanks for sharing.

March 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Anonymous  

Perhaps there were moments God tried to "interview" me too but I think I was too selfish to have seen them. I feel like I was/am so utterly unprepared, so completely unfit. But all I am, I will give--even if there's nothing left afterward.

I admire your willingness and strength. These stories feel so organic, so natural to the person that you are that it isn't difficult for me to see how you and God settled things up before the Big Guy came into your life. God bless you, Heidi. XOXO

March 7, 2009 at 11:06 PM
Anonymous  

Yes, the Lord could assign us to our ultimate kingdom without us ever needing to come to earth and be tested. We are the ones who have to live through so we learn where we actually belong. (And know it's justified.)

March 8, 2009 at 1:42 AM
Anonymous  
This comment has been removed by the author.
March 8, 2009 at 1:42 AM

I am a firm believer in God never gives you more than you can handle. I am so glad you and I passed his tests, so that we can learn from incredible children.

March 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM

You inspired me on so many levels with this. Thanks Heidi.

March 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Gosh, I've sure had some tough interviews, but you're right...it just takes being willing and we are always blessed, even if it's just the lesson of knowing God loves us enough to give us tests.

March 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I love how you can see so clearly those moments in your life, it takes a special person to understand themselves and accept it! Thank you so much for sharing!

March 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Being a mom to special kids is a higher calling. The hours are long, the pay is too small, but ultimately the rewards are eternal. Bless you for being the mom you are!

March 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM

What a beautiful example of our Heavenly Father's love for us!

March 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Another post I am very happy to have read...

March 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Oh Heidi. I so get it. I just get it. And even though there are a thousand tests a day with the Big Guy, you see the blessings. You just rock.

Thank you,
Heather

March 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Thanks everyone for being supportive and kind and not thinking I'm on some kind of ego trip or that I think I am special. My whole point is that I'm not.

March 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM

You're amazing.

March 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM

and one man was blessed because someone was Willing. I to hope to be at least willing.

March 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Once again - you are a stunning human being... and NOT because you're blogging about yourself, but because you see the hand of God in preparing you as a youngster for the person you became!

March 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM

You have a beautiful, tender heart. I'm not at all surprised that you passed that interview.

March 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM

You are so totally special. You know how people listen to all of those pioneer stories and say things like, "I could have never lived during that time." Or, "I don't know how those people did those things!" Well, they didn't know anything else, plus they really were watched over by the Lord. You do what you do for your Big Guy because this is what you have. This is your life. And I am enjoying finding out about all of your preparations. Thanks, Heidi.

March 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I've really appreciated your two posts on what you can see, looking back, might have prepared you for one of your own children, now. It makes me wonder what I might have done that would have prepared me for some of the things I go through now. It's an interesting idea.

March 9, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I always wonder if I would step up to the plate...sometimes I feel I live SO much in my own little world that I miss great opportunities such as that one!

You're awesome! :)

March 9, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Ah, you guys make me blush! But, really, we all do our part in our own way. This was just mine (apparently).

March 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I so completely love your eternal perspective here. What a beautiful soul you are. I can't wait until you meet Michael someday...whole.

March 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM

My comment just disappeared...so if it turns up randomly someplace else, I am not to blame!

Anyway, I love your eternal perspective here. What a beautiful soul you are.

March 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Wow. What a beautiful story. I also love it when you can look back and see how things lined up.

March 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I really enjoy this series, Heidi.

March 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Post a Comment