Why I Need Brain Surgery ASAP  

Posted by Heidi in

I clean my house for three reasons and three reasons only: Christmas, company and covetousness. As you can imagine, since we know covetousness is just WRONG, it is my most frequent prompt.

I read home and garden magazines for two reasons and two reasons only: to get ideas/learn new things and to stoke the fires of covetousness because even if my home isn’t as full of those perfectly lovely things pictured, I can have it be as clean. (Well. Almost. And only sometimes. I give myself leeway in that regard. I don't torture myself with perfection. Because I’m generous like that.)

I especially love it when antiques and collectibles are featured along with their provenance and other info but especially, how much they are worth. Ka-ching! Or, at least, potential ka-ching, should I have ever been so lucky as to have purchased one of the goodies pictured in the glossy pages of a magazine. However, hope springs eternal.

The other day, in an attempt to get some magazine reading done (we won’t say where) I was leafing through one such for a last glimpse before tossing it into the recycling bin when my eye was caught by this photo.




I had looked at this picture several times already but had never thought anything about it. Now I was thinking that the pretty boy and girl looked so familiar. When I got a chance, I went to my room and compared this lovely object with something I had bought on eBay for $10 about four years ago. (It was listed as a lamp base.) It sits on the dresser and I look at it (or blindly "see" it) a dozen times a day.




What do you think? The same boy and girl? One and the very frickin' same? That I see dozens of times a day? And did not notice was one and the same as the one in the magazine in the section where they tell how much things are worth which I read in hopes I will own one (or more) such object until it was almost too late?

Did I mention how much this base would be worth if it still had the bowl?



It’s times like these that make me wish with a fervent, melting, heat that brain surgery was available for people “like me”. (Anyone have a bowl that looks like it might have once had a base decorated by a frolicking boy and girl? Anyone? No? Anyone?)

This entry was posted on Friday, March 6, 2009 at Friday, March 06, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

28 wise, witty and wonderful comments

OUCH! My goodness. I'm sorry for your loss.

Just today I was thinking that I would pretend once a week that someone was coming to visit so we could frantically clean and have a spotless house at least once a week. Then when they found out that I'd lied I would tell them that, no, someone was coming. The Holy Ghost. Because he doesn't dwell in unclean houses, but now he can dwell in ours.

March 6, 2009 at 11:06 AM

They are totally the same!

March 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Anonymous  

Wow. What are the chances huh? $10 bucks for frolicking lovers. Unfortunately, bowl-less. That's where lil' Miss Muffet comes in. She's always got a bowl o' something with her.

March 6, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Definitely the same! Where is the darn top part though? You should ring the neck of the e-bay seller whom you bought it from. Maybe it is wort a portion of the $850 (hopefully!)?

March 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Now when you blindly glance over it each day you can think to yourself "that is my wonderful eBay find - Just $10 for something worth $425"... it's half the compote so you can tell yourself it's half the value... just don't ask any dealers so your brain won't know any different

March 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Lisa-there you go, being a genius again! Kristina, ya think? I think so, too. Laura, I should remember to look up Miss Muffet. Becky--I suspect the eBay seller didn't know what it was (either). I do wonder if I could get something for it, regardless. ARe you in the market? (hee haw!)

March 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM

T--I have to admit, I am proud of my good "eye" for quality . . .

March 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM

It stinks that you don't have the bowl part, but I bet it's still worth more than the original $10 investment.

March 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

hey, but you have the joy of having it in your home to please, which is better than money.

March 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Okay, I LOVE Lisa's idea!! Except I still couldn't force myself to clean unless I knew a real person was coming...so sad. YES IT IS TOTALLY THE SAME BASE! Wow, you should look on Ebay for the bowl! I used to watch Antiques Roadshow all the time wishing I had something worth a million dollars or so...Is that too much to ask?!

March 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Lisa cracks me up!

Hey, I totally think you could just make a similar looking bowl. Maybe Styrofoam or something?

March 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM

So I had a comment, and then Lisa's comment made me laugh too hard and I forgot. I think I will pretend the HOly Ghost is coming today after school...

...anyway, perhaps you could scour eBay for the top to that base. Perhaps it's out there, worthless without the base? Or that will probably drive you mad. So just be happy you have a pretty bowlless base.

March 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Forget the stinkin' bowl.

I came to see yellow teeth.

March 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

WM--I hope so! Jessica, you are so right. I bought it b/c I liked it and I still do! Melinda, I am deff going to keep my eye out for it! Randi--hhmmm, ya think? Will you come over and make it for me? I'm not good with styrofoam (or it's not good with me or something!) Lara, it DOES have an opening so I can stick fake flowers in there OR put a teeny tiny vase and do real flowers. Reed--it's forgotten. Utterly. B/C you commanded. . . .

March 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM

What a bizarre coincidence!

March 6, 2009 at 1:16 PM

A girl that worked me a long time back when eBay was still kinda new bought a teddy bear online for her collection. It cost $20. Turns out, it was $30,000.

Whoa!

March 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM

What good eyes you have Heidi. Wow. That is one of those rare coincidences.

March 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM

So, is there only one of these? Are you going to make contact with the seekers anyway, even though there is no bowl? Pretty cool!

March 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Well...if you're just missing the bowl, maybe it's worth half that? Maybe? Kinda?

March 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I agree with Lara! Go to ebay and look for that bowl!

Oooo, maybe you can find it for $5. That would be so great!

March 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Kim--I guess. Melanie--one of those buys I lust after. Jan--I guess. Hey, did I just say that? Kazzy--no, they were mass produced in the 1890's but they were expensive even then,Barb--that's what I'm hoping--but the economy is too bad to find out just now . . .Scarlet--absolutely, looking for it . . .

March 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM

No bowl here but that is purrrrrty!

March 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM

OMGOSH! I know you are going to find that $840 bowl! The universe is telling me so!

March 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Anonymous  

good luck finding it!! that is cool though

March 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

That's just crazy! WOW. I wish I had the bowl for you! Just think, you're getting closer and closer to a dream, one bottom half at a time...

sorry.

March 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I know! Just take a pottery class and simply sculpt a new bowl!

I think I'm a little loopy today. Well, the base is cuter than the top, so you can console yourself that you have the best part.

I wish my bottom was better than my top...Ok, need to sleep now.

March 7, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Oh damn! Someone find that freakin' bowl...

March 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Why do I have a feeling you are going to be haunting eBay for the next little while?

March 8, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Post a Comment