I'm In Denial About Dusting--So What's New?  

Posted by Heidi in

The other day I noticed that the piles of dust in the bathroom have divided into teams and are holding their own Olympics with competitions in depth, height and surface area coverage. Since I don’t like to discourage that kind of initiative, I pretended I didn’t notice. Instead of dusting their dreams into oblivion, I organized my scrapbooking materials. (Not that I actually scrapbook. I just collect the cute stuff one generally uses to make darling scrapbook pages.) True story.

I’ll be off novel-writing on Tuesday (I hope—I never did get to it last week) but thanks so much to all of you who gave me a shout out about coming to see me when I am in your fair state of Utah as well as those of you who voted for my closet organization entry on Got.org. I can’t wait to see you all face to face in April!

Come back Wednesday for my first installment of Decorating For Dollars. (Yeah, I know, you’re all wetting your pants with excitement.)

This entry was posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 at Monday, March 30, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

42 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I need to go back and read this post about you coming to Utah!

March 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Oh fun! Everyone needs more entertainment in the bathroom, eh?

Decorating for Dollars sounds right up my alley. Can't wait (although I'm glad to say my pants remained dry).

March 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Oooh Decorating for Dollars??? I can't wait!!! I did pee a little bit.

March 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Decorating for Dollars? WOW! I can't eve decorate for free!

March 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM

wow, i'm looking forward to decorating for dollars!!

March 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Good luck on your writing tomorrow. I am reading Miss Delacourt today! Totally dumped my other book...not interesting compared to one that I "know" the author. My kids think it's cool too.

March 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I'm in the process of teaching my four year old to dust. She loves it. Now to figure out how to increase her attention span.

Happy writing!

March 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Now I can blame you for the dust bunnies' gold medal, the little road trip I'll have to take next month AND the hilarity incontinence... I could use a dose of decorating for dollars :)

March 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Anonymous  

The constant bickering between Mounts Fuji, Kilimanjaro, Everest, and McKinley in my laundry room (otherwise known as the darks, lights, whites, and towels and bedding) as to which is the most impressive/daunting completely drown out the activities of lesser household issues such as dust....

Here's hoping that Miss D is both biddable and entertaining tomorrow.

March 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

If your dustbunnies ever want to go across state lines to compete....then my gold medal award winning bunnies are ready to take you on.....Yes even the dirt at my house is competitive!

March 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Kristina--Yay! I hope I get to see you! Lisa--dry undies? I guess I can forgive you for that . . . Sabrina, now that's more like it! (uh oh, I guess I had better deliver, huh?) Randi--very clever! Jessica--I can't wait to see your darling house when I come to Utah! (The Nelson's is my niece--I would love to visit each of your house's but alas, it's not to be) Heidi T--you have me quivering in my boots! If you don't like Miss D, email me at write2me@heidiashworth.com and we'll begin negotiations . . . Kim--no doubt my 7 year old would dust if there weren't so many nick nacks around which to work (I have met the enemy and I am it!) T--really? You might come? Please don't feel like you have to--really! But if you do, wear the RED SHOES! Pam--how clever are you? :) Christine--Right on! I am so there! Wait! It's already hot in Texas, isn't it? Never mind.

March 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Love the decorating for dollars idea, I'm wetting my pants as we speak! :D And I really am going to try and see you when you're here! YIPPEE!

March 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Melinda--Yayyyyyy!!

March 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

We seem to have more than our fair share of dust here in the desert. I mostly ignore it, until my children start using it to write messages to each other. ---Or my mom is coming to town.

I know what you mean about the scrapbooking supplies. I don't actually want to scrapbook, but the stuff is always so dang cute. I covince myself I will use it "sometime" for "something", I never do though.

Good Luck tomorrow!

March 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Now I need to go change my pants! Very funny! Wish I was going to be in Utah when you were there. I won't make it up there until late June.

March 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Wait, wait! You're coming to Utah? I need to go back and read that, too....I've been on vacation. Forgive me.

And, I am guilty of purchasing paper and never scrapbooking it, too. I used to do the scrapbooking, does that coutn?

March 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Sue--yep, I used to scrapbook too and then I got burned out. Becky--ah, nuts! Lara--I hope you can come!

March 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I collect cute scrapbook stuff and never actually scrapbook too! Great minds think alike.

And I finally dusted my living room today, after an embarrassingly long amount of time (like since we moved here 9 months ago?)

I wish I didn't live 3 hours away from SLC area!

March 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Anonymous  

Have fun writing! I loved the dust Olympics and how you kindly did not shatter their hopes and dreams. We have dish olympics and all the visiting heads of state have grouped on the oven.

March 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I just finished reading your book. It was delightful! What is the one you are currently writing about?

March 30, 2009 at 2:23 PM
Anonymous  

I was really bummed I didn't get to vote on the contest.. LOL

wouldn't be ethical LOL but I LOVED your closet

March 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Dusting.

Ha!

March 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM

People dust?

March 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Erin--I wish you lived closer too, esp since I would expect you to bring French chocolate, but I DO totally understand that it's just too far. Laura--you are so darn quick-witted! Love it! Heatherlyn-you are my new best friend! I am writing the sequel. I thought their journey was done but it turns out there are a few more twists and turns . .. I'm having such a blast with these characters! Stacey--thank you! And you know I'm good with not winning--I mostly wanted to expose people to your cool organization blog! Melanie--that's what I say! And I have two dollhouses so I have three houses I don't dust. Heidi--I have heard rumors along those lines but it would seem I don't personally know any dusters . . .

March 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I like to leave the dust alone and see what happens too.

I wish I was close enough to meet you like all these lucky others!

March 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM

The Olympics in my bathroom are now over. They ended today. The final ceremonies consisted of me standing on the bathroom counter paying homage to the dust group that had accumulated on my light fixture and top of the cabinet. They didn't go down without a fight! Their colleagues in your bathroom would be proud!

March 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM

BTW...can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!!

March 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I have so many hobbies that mostly I have just collected the supplies (knitting, jewelry making, etc). But you are right - they are a great diversion:)

March 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I love beautiful paper - but I hate my handwriting. Still - I have drawers full of unused stationary. I just like the idea of it - even if I never use it.

Hope you have a productive writing day!

March 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Funny--I just noticed a lot of dust on my living room coffee table. It wouldn't matter if I dusted it though, when you live in the desert, the wind would just blow it all back into the house tomorrow.

Good luck writing--and I look forward to reading your post on Wednesday!

March 30, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I dust things before I give them to other people. That's got to count for something. And I have to say I admire your support of the dust bunny Olympics. Not everyone is so gracious.

Decorating. Every time I think about decorating I think that I either need more money or more energy--maybe both--before I could get into it. So...decorating for dollars...hm...that might work.

March 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Dusting is over-rated!

March 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

In my house it is the closets that are denied. I just am so good at closing the doors and forgetting there is stuff o\in there. LOL

March 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Dust Olympics, that was funny!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

March 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Heather--me too though Sabrina almost has me talked into going to Minn. April--me too! Debbie--crafting supplies are pretty! Kate--I have collected pretty stationary for years. It pains me to use it. Yay email! Joy--I wish I had that excuse! Jami--I think dusting things before you give them away is the most people ought to expect. Eowyn--yes! Kazzy--you should have seen my hall closet before I re-organized it. Sheez! Tim--thanks! And prayers for Stellan!

March 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM

How absolutely fun! A trip to Utah on behalf of the fabulous Miss D. And, the fact that you get to meet many of our mutual blog friends in person makes me so jealous.

Can I hitch a ride? I know all the songs on the radio and love to sing along. :)

-Francesca

March 31, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Francesca--how I would love to have you! But, actually--I'm flying. That photo of the car is kind of misleading, huh?

March 31, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Hey your dust olympians can come compete with mine. :)

And although I am IN utah, I'm not claiming it as my state thankyouverymuch. I'm 100% and Arizona girl. Just so ya know. I'm excited to meet you though. AND buy your book.

March 31, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Way to be encouraging of the dusty's Olympic aspirations. I am definitely going to have to use that one next time I have family come to visit. Oh wait, that is in 2 days. Oh well, now I have an excuse to keep checking out my blogging buddies!

March 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM

haha, maybe your dust was training for the world championships with my dust? ;)
Hope you got to work on your novel writing!~

March 31, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Hi Miss Heidi!!!!

Howzit, girlfriend? You are so considerate of your bathroom dust. I bet my dust could leave your dust in the dust!

April 1, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Well, judging from the beginning of this post, it's a good thing you went to work on your book, because it was pure goodness. This was a gem; very funny, and I could relate 100%

April 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Post a Comment