Note To Self  

Posted by Heidi in

1. Do not read nasty book review on Goodreads right before going to bed. It is counter productive to one's sleep.

(So, yeah, this is my first experience with getting a bad review. Phew! Do these people read what other people are saying about Miss D? Do they not wonder why their opinion is so off from what the professional reviewers are saying or even the unprofessional reviews? Personally, I would feel weird about saying how bad a book is when most everyone else likes it anywhere from a lot to fair-to-middling. I can understand it if they don't like my book but do they have to be so cruel about it? Do they not realize that it is a person who is reading it, a person with feelings? Whine whine whine) (more whining)

Sorry if you don't see me around the blogs Thursday. I will be busy getting a root canal then burying my head under my pillow.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at Wednesday, March 18, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

45 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh, Heidi. There will always be a few haters out there, and it sucks!!

It's hard putting ourselves out in the universe, whether you are an amazing actual author, or just a blog author.

Just know that for every person who may not love your book, there are at least 100 who do.

March 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Obviously someone who read the wrong book! Are you seriously getting a root canal?

March 18, 2009 at 10:19 PM
Anonymous  

I'm sorry about the crap review, Heidi. Listen to Kristina--She's right.

I'm even sorrier about the root canal. Ouch! You take care of you & get back to us soon. We'll miss you!

March 18, 2009 at 10:30 PM

So Sorry! Why do the mean voices always seem 10 times louder than the kind ones?

March 18, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I'm sorry that their are downers out there!
But all your positive reviews and feedback more than cancel out some silly person's negative-ness!

March 18, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Oh... and good luck with the root canal. Ouch!

March 18, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Maybe the bad review is by someone who doesn't know what the heck she/he is talking about. Professional book reviewers apparently love your book, so don't let one hater's opinion deprive you of sleep. Nighty-nigh.

March 19, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Remember when Sue realized people were copying her posts and claiming them as their own? Remember how she said that it must mean that she's hit the big time (or however she put it)? I think maybe that's what a bad review means. You have SO MANY people reading it that even the weirdos are! (just kidding, Mean Reviewer. I'm sure you just don't like or know the genre. Or you were having a bad day. Or something)

March 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM

It will happen any time you put yourself out there, unfortunately. People are entitled to express their opinions.

That doesn't make it hurt any less. It has happened to me, too. Big hugs!

March 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM

It will always hurt when someone criticizes you or your work, but think of the real reasons you wrote this book - was it because you wanted to write, wanted to realize a dream or because you wanted a perfect review every time? (okay, of course you want perfect reviews, but i'm willing to bet you would've written it anyway, even knowing there would be some who didn't love it.) hope you feel better!

March 19, 2009 at 6:42 AM

Ugg... On the review and the root canal. Take care.

March 19, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Eat more chocolate! Besides, teaching high schoolers again this week reminds me that there are people who choose to be contrary just because. It's super annoying, but that's how it is. Ignore the haters!

March 19, 2009 at 6:55 AM
Anonymous  

It's a lot easier to write a mean review than it is to write a book and get it published!

Good luck at the dentist.

March 19, 2009 at 7:17 AM

So, the fact that I gave a horrible review on GoodReads to the entire Twilight series despite all the 5 star ratings from my friends isn't good?

Just teasing.

Some of those people on GoodReads are ruthless reviewers and I wonder whether they like ANY book they read. Also, you can't please everyone, and I'm guessing this particular reviewer probably doesn't even like Austen!

March 19, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Kristina--you're so sweet, thanks! Fiona--probably. I might just need a really big filling but I suspect it will have to be a root canal. Laura--thanks sweetie! Sue--no doubt! Esp. last night!! Randi--hiya! So good to see you! Marivic--that was part of the problem. She was expecting a Jane Austen STYLE book, not a Jane Austen ERA book. Not the same thing. Lisa--thank you for taking such a positive view of it! Luisa--bummer! Boy can I feel for you! Jessica, for such a young gal, that is a very mature perspective--thanks! Jan--thanks! Melanie, that's true, huh? Pam--also true! Thanks! Lara--I am SURE you weren't the only one who gave the Twilight series a bad review & of course I am not saying people shouldn't do a bad review if they think it is appropriate--this one was really personal, though, and kind of attacked me as well as my book. Yuck!

March 19, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Why? Why do people feel the need to say stupid things. Everyone should follow the Thumper Rule!~

March 19, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Some people just like to be contrary for no reason at all. I hope your root canal goes as well as possible. And that you get some extra sleep today!

March 19, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I'm not sure if a root canal or a bad review is worse. I'm sorry! And yeah---I don't get why people have to mean. It's one thing to have a differing opinion, it's a whole other thing to be a jerk.

March 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM

DANG. I am a writer of bad reviews. In fact, if Stephanie Meyer ever read any of my reviews on uh-hem TWILIGHT... :/ Crap. Now I'm feeling all guilty. Before I shrugged it off as the price of being famous -but now that my friend, MY FRIEND, didn't sleep over somebody's review...

BUT, really, can a bad review be worse then a root canal? ugh. That really can't be fun. Good luck. I'm thinking of you.

March 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM

When did it become okay to be rude? That bugs me. Sure, if you don't agree, that's your opinion and your right. But it's not okay to be rude. Sorry 'bout the lousy review. And the root canal.

March 19, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Sorry about the bad review, but take comfort. There are a lot of people out there who say bad things about the Bible and the Book of Mormon too. If you tried to please everyone, no one would be happy--including you. Bigger sorry about the root canal. Ouch! Been there twice. It wasn't any fun.

March 19, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Sorry about the review. Wish I could help on that and the root canal. (I worked for a dentist for a year. . .Better a root canal than dentures. But I'll stop there.)

(Loved the bloggy paranoia post!)

March 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I feel your root canal pain. Sorry. :( And don't worry about the negative review. A broad band of opinions is good. Variety makes it more interesting and full of potential.

March 19, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Do not sweat one negative review....those who read you know the truth. I am one of those who can't wait for the sequel personally.

March 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Randi--totally! It's okay to state your opinion of a book anywhere you like, just please be respectful! Becky--thank goodness it ended up being just a huge filling. Root canal might still be in my future, though . .. Barb--you said it! Heather--it makes me think twice about what I write, too. You are right, it is the price you pay when you put yourself out there. The personal attack about the blogging, etc, was out of line, though. Becky--exactly! Joy-you are totally right. If I didn't get a bad review from someone, something would be wrong. At least it means my book is reaching a wide demograhic of people including those who don't get it . . . Eowyn--my sister used to work for a dentist, too. Oh, the stories she could tell! Kazzy--that is a very good point. Christine--I can't tell you how much that means to me! Thanks!

March 19, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I'm sorry about the bad review, but I think I'm even more sorry about the root canal. I hate the dentist.

March 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Sorry about the bad review! But I LIKED IT!!!!

March 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM

In most situations over the computer, people are WAY more rude than they ever would be in real life, they're looking at a screen not a person's hurt face. I think its sad that people feel thats okay, and it even boosts their self-esteem to rag on someone else. So sad. :( Hope you feel better, no root canal! Yay! :)

March 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Maybe they just didn't like your genre of book. There are a lot of husbands out there that wouldn't even pick it up. That wouldn't offend you right?

Just imagine that this person typically reads popular mechanic and watches Sports center nonstop.

I hate dental work.

March 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Anonymous  

I hate it when people say stuff like "You can't please all of the people all the time." Why not, darn it? What is the matter with all of those people that can't be happy? They're all probably science fiction or action/ adventure junkies. So, for your next sequel, I suggest you throw in a few time-traveling space aliens as Lord Anthony's next door neighbors that are secretly scoping him out for government secrets, and selling those secrets to the mob for drug money.

Or something like that. THEN we'll see what kind of review you get -- that should make them ALL happy, right?

March 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM

You know, there are some people that live their lives in a very negative place. In order to feel satisfied in life, they have to tear down everything they come in contact with. Sounds like you encountered someone like that. I'm related to some people like that so I know how hard it is to deal with. Hang in there and know that it's really not you or your book, it's them.

Hugs,
Cindy

March 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Too bad about the giant filling.

Root canals are awesome.

March 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM

The irony is that most of the time, no, people don't realize there's a real person on the other side. It's just a product to review. Sad, but true--and for me, anyway, it helps to keep that in mind so I don't feel so attacked.

March 19, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Rachel--I love my dentist to death so that helps! Heidi--er, you like the review or you liked my book? I'm not sure which you meant exactly . . .Melinda, that is a very good point! Janelle, heavens no, it wouldn't offend me! I wouldn't want anyone to read my book who wouldn't like it--I want everyone who reads it to have a good experience. My book is not for everyone by any means. This person just went too far. Sue--you are so funny!! Cindy--yes, I did get the feeling that she thought she was being pretty clever in her negativity. Reed--I have had three and when they are done right, they are much better than a huge filling, that's for sure! Annette--that's so true. She did, though (know that I was a real person) which is why I took it so hard, I guess.

March 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Here's something to think about...what kind of books does she really like? I mean maybe she likes only Harlequin romances so she's not a great judge of taste. Or maybe she is a shrew and doesn't like spunky yet respectful heroines (wow, am I being mean now)? haha.

March 19, 2009 at 2:09 PM

When a person is wanting a work of great literature and reads a romance, it's obvious that they didn't read the reviews. Or pay attention to the publisher. Or if they did that their comprehension skills leave a little to be desired.

FWIW: She really likes Twilight. And John Grisham novels.

March 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Jen--what you said doesn't sound one bit mean to me! :) I see what you are saying and thank you! Jami--My book is a bit confusing because of it's hard cover--category romance doesn't usually come in hard cover. Still, I am at a loss to understand where she got the idea that this was supposed to be in Jane Austen style as opposed to Jane Austen time period. As if anyone could write a Jane Austen! Thanks for your support!!

March 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Some part of me is really hoping that Jane Austen is somewhere right now writing lots of "Jane Austens" for us to read at some point in the eternities.

March 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Hey don't sweat the malcontents, kiddo. Trolls don't just hang out under bridges; they're everywhere. They're just jealous is all. ;)

Hope that dentist used laughing gas on ya today; sounds like you could use a good yuk or two... :)

March 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM

How annoying! That really stinks. I'm sorry you had to read a review from such a flippin' brat who has no taste.

March 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Jami--I SO love that idea! AJ--you're sweet, you know that? Alyson, I have been trying to come up with just the right name--flippin' brat works great! Thanks! I really am better now. I realize this person just isn't familiar with the genre and she gets a kick of of tearing down authors, not just me, so I shouldn't take it personally. Thanks, though, for all the support! You guys ROCK!!!!

March 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I know. The haters in my class keep me up at night too.
BUT, GOODREADS? Come on. Some of those people's reading lists just make me glad that pop fiction doesn't last forever.

March 20, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Mariko--I'm sure if you wrote a funny book "she" would think you are great! Oh, wait, maybe that's not a good thing. . . (JK)(except the part where I think you're very funny!)

March 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Some people relish their ability to criticize. It makes them feel better about themselves, as if no one else can measure up.

March 20, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I don't think people who write negative reviews ever think about the living, breathing, feeling human being they're attacking. And they don't care if their opinion doesn't match with everyone else's. It's just that...an opinion. Tastes vary. Life experiences vary. There isn't a single book written since time began that has been universally adored, and there never will be.

Focus on the good reviews. Bad reviews are only worth reading if there's something to be learned from them. And if they were THAT cruel, then there probably wasn't, yes?

March 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Post a Comment