My Very First Friday Fragments  

Posted by Heidi in

Friday Fragments. I didn't invent them. I'm not sure who did, only that it wasn't me. Just wanted to make that clear.
************
I had a dream last night that a strange man was rooting through the drawers in my bathroom and complimented me on my choice of deodorant (he liked the smell). I blame the boatload of sugar I ate yesterday since ice cream and Reese’s eggs seemed excessively preferable to real food after the humungous filling I had (root canal averted for now!)
**************
It turns out that the
random post office stabbing murder here in “Mayberry” happened after the stabber asked the stabbee to exchange his 29 cent stamps for money (the post office workers had already denied him). Note to self: if someone asks me to exchange money for stamps, do so, pronto! Or, barring that (since I rarely carry cash) take him to lunch. (Or Nordstroms. Or a car dealership.) It will make for a much better day for everyone in Mayberry.
**************
Remember the day my Wii fit became Mr. Hal Wii Fit?
Look where that post showed up!
*****************
I once blogged about an interview I had for the local paper. It came out a while ago but I didn’t share it because the author wrote a few things that embarrassed me a little (still love you, Andre!) Also, it was impossible to get a photo of me that I would have been happy with since I was blushing like some kind of "Ginny Delacourt" the entire time. Here’s the link if you want to read it (it’s on page three, you will have to scroll down) but just know, I never said anything of the sort in that last paragraph. And there are a few other things that are not quite accurate or entirely made up. (I guess the truth of what really happened wasn’t exciting enough. In fact, I’m quite sure of it since I was there for “the truth” and it almost put me to sleep most days). For those who decide to follow the link, here is a photo of me taken last night to wipe the awful image of the newspaper photo from your mind (the rest of you, just avert your eyes).

The Spouse doesn't like this one because I'm not showing my (yellow) teeth and there is a glare from the window. How about this next one . . .


I think I look more like my younger sister in this photo than any of the others (I have six) which is kind of odd when you consider I have an identical twin. Still no teeth . . .

The Spouse likes this picture. (How unfortunate that the Little Guy has figured out he is pretty darn cute and much beloved in the family.) So, okay, these aren't that great either, but at least they are closer to how I actually look which is what matters to me. It's a form of vanity, I know, but we just live with it around here.
*****************
If any of you from book club are visiting my blog today, thanks for reading my book and being such an awesome audience last night! (I talked about me and Miss D for a solid hour. Yeah. I know.) It was just the medicine I needed after what happened yesterday (see below).
********************
Lastly, sorry for being such a boob yesterday about Miss D's bad review on Goodreads. In the end, I am glad it happened because the only way to learn to take the punches is to experience them and survive it. In my defense, I’ll just add that the review included a personal attack on me, as well, and it was written by a blogger who hangs out at some of the same blogs I do which is why I was particularly upset. (Also, I am NOT a Jane Austen wanna-be and my book is a Jane Austen ERA book, not a Jane Austen STYLE book, just so ya know . . . .) So many of you were super supportive and some of you even came to my rescue! I love that! I hope I can do the same for each and every one of you some day!

This entry was posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 at Friday, March 20, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

37 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Friday Fragments belong to Mrs.4444 of Half Past Kissin' Time, and you should totally go over there and link up your post! (and grab her little button).

Congrats on the Wii fit post! That's so cool.

Your pictures are great. I love the middle one. Your hair is DARLING. So are your eyes and your smile etc. :) You look a little like a Disney princess (just because of your lovely and pronounced features.)

Now can you please email me and tell me who the blogger is? Maybe not. But I'm super curious. I didn't realize it was so personal when I told you that you should be SO HAPPY to get a negative review. Sorry about that. :(

March 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Lisa, don't feel bad--I didn't explain that so how would you know? Thanks for the Disney Princes reference--woo hoo!

March 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Reese's Eggs. That's the only thing I could think about through your entire post. Hooray for no root canal!!

March 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I read the review, and I was very surprised! It just seems odd to post it somewhere so publicly, that she knows you will see it. It just seemed unnecessary.

Love the hair!

March 20, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I love your beautiful smile! Teeth and all... (they don't look yellow to me?!?)

sorry about the bad review... shake it off! shake it off! :)
You rock!

March 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM
Anonymous  

The pictures are beautiful. You look great. And congrats on all the bloggy/website stardom. I told you you're a blog rockstar. =]

March 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Barb-they are pretty much all I can think about too! I bought twice as many as I would need b/c they were on sale and so I could get away with eating some . . I don't think any of them are going to make it, though! Kristina--thanks! And, yes, that's what I thought--uneccessary! Sabrina, thanks! They don't look too bad in the pic on my post but they really do in the newspaper picture--yikes! They were stained from tetracycline when I was a baby. Laura--thanks sweetie!

March 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

They're all nice photos, but I really like the third one. Your teeth don't look yellow at all!

Santa put a really pretty Christian Dior lipstick in my stocking this year. Trouble is, it makes my teeth look yellower than they are. I've gotten some Listerine Whitening, hoping that in about 12 weeks I'll dare to wear the new color.

A personal bad review is even worse than one from someone totally unconnected to you. I'm so, so sorry that happened.

March 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Hmmm. "Strange man" dream is good, but Barb had a dream last night that Brad Pitt was her "roommate."

March 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM
Anonymous  

Did they have to get your permission to use your post as an advertisement? Pretty cool.

Love the photo of you and the Little Guy! My 'puter wouldn't load the newspaper link :P

And you're right, always a good idea to buy decade old stamps from scary street people.

March 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I have missed reading you while I have been gone. I'm sorry for the sucky review. That's cool about the Wii fit link. And I'm on my way to read the local paper now.

March 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Luisa--I have tried that and it helps but mine just turn yellow again after a while. But, hey, such is life! Reed--remember the days when I could sorta kinda almost come up with a witty riposte to your comments? Pam--no, I wouldn't have known about it at all except I have google alerts set up on my blog and name and book, etc. Erin--I missed you! I can't wait to read all about your trip to France!

March 20, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I really don't get why you think you have yellow teeth... now I think mine are yellow because for sure yours are whiter than mine. Thanks for the complex. Oh and I'm glad you didn't have to have a root canal... I like the Cadbery Eggs!

March 20, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Fiona--if I could copy and paste the photo from the newspaper website, I would--then you could see how they are absolutely flourescent. Trust me, your teeth are whiter than mine. Mine are yellow from meds I had as a baby. My baby teeth came in brown and black. Yes, black!!

March 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I like the pic with your chin up; it lifts your eyes, which makes you look happiest. (Just my opinion as a former model, haha.)

Heidi, I read the entire interview, and I think it's great. I really enjoyed reading about your road to fame :) Your shirt, BTW, is ADORABLE, and there is nothing wrong with that photo!

Thanks for joining me in FF this week; you did a great job! Since I am the originator of FF, I would be happy to send you the link to the "411" on FF :)

Hope you have more goofy dreams tonight; that was funny.

March 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM

P.S. When you are rich and famous, you can pay for caps :) In the meantime, I never noticed :)

March 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Barb, thanks for not booting me out of FF when I clearly didn't have a clue how to do it right! I don't know if you are joking or not about being a model but I believe it!

March 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Hi, Miss Heidi. I think I picked up calling you that from Crash and I can't call you anything else now.

Anyway, I'm glad you're in a better place about that review. You clearly have lots of fans and that's the thing to focus on. I'll try to remember this advice if I'm lucky enough to get published and the same thing happens to me. If I don't remember, remind me, 'kay?

March 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM

So glad you posted some photos of yourself! You look great.

The fragments are cool. I have been reading 4444's for awhile but have never linked up there. Great idea though.

Take care!

March 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Melanie--it sounds like you are totally on your way! Yay for you! And I don't mind Miss Heidi at all. Kazzy--Hey, thanks. You'll get to see for yourself how favorably flattering they are in April.

March 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I had a hard time reading past the man in your bathroom drawers. Still laughing at the deodorant.

You are darling in all the pics Heidi.

March 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Well don't I totally feel like a dunce now. Everyone in bloggy land is probably laughing at my silly post about Dawn. They are probably wondering how I could possibly be blogging for more than 8 months and not ever heard of her. I am truly goofy. Thanks for letting me know and for leaving all the great comments.
I think the pictures all look great!

March 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Jan--where do you live? I have a hug for you! Heidi---you aren't a dunce! Blogdania is huge, you can't know everyone.

March 20, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Fun fragments. I like the photos! :o) Your hair always looks so perfect in all the photos I've seen.

March 20, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Heidi, I looked up the negative review that you wrote about and it was just odd. Some people just aren't happy to see others succeed. I hope that you don't take it to heart. There are more people who have loved your book than not!

Loved the fragments! And for the record, you have an AWESOME smile, show your teeth more!

March 20, 2009 at 10:57 PM

That is so cool about your wii article. And I loved the pictures. Actually you look just like my husband's sister. It is uncanny. Perhaps you were actually a triplet!

March 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I must have missed the post office post. Okay, that is scary!

You look good in all the photos. I doubt I have that many good photos of myself.

March 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Phoooey on bad reviews. I liked the book. You just cater to the ones who enjoy what you do and the rest can take a "flying leap". I loved the photos of you----and the Little Guy, how cute.

March 21, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Randi--I'm pretty picky about which photos I put up on the blog but in spite of my yellow teeth and other facial faults, I DO have good hair. April--Hey, you! So good to see you! I have missed you! And thanks for the support! Joy--that is so odd! They say everyone has a doppleganger out there, I just thought I knew who mine was already! Heidi--you are most likely far less vain than I am. Not to imply that I have anything to be vain about---I just am. Wendy--thanks sweetie!

March 21, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Oh, where do i start?

The man in the bathroom? Hilarious.
All your pics? Adorable.
Mrs.4444? Glad you finally found her and linked up. I love her.
Yellow teeth? Stand in line! (Except mine are sorely complicated by the one false tooth from a *running* accident that is now much whiter than all the rest!)
Love that your wii Fit post got picked up by mr wii himself!
And especially love the "note to self" on the Mayberry post.

My goodness! Never a dull moment at Dunhaven Place!

March 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM

p.s. I use the term *running* loosely -- I was running down the hall in the dark and crashed right into a glass door! :)

March 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Anonymous  

you are a hot TEA!!!!!!

love it and I have the same sign from Lillian Vernon LOL

March 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Charrette--when I see you in April we can do a yellow teeth comparison! And thanks for clearing up the running thing. I WAS wondering! Stacey--I love Lillian Vernon but I actually made that sign with my two little hands (well, someone else cut the wood).

March 21, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Love the pics and just wanted to say that I'm appreciating Miss D more and more.

You're awesome!

March 22, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Lovely pics! I would say don't be so self-concious, but then I would be a total hypocrite :D Why do we worry so much about our looks? We are our own worse critics!

March 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I am so behind on commenting on my blogs - I meant to tell you that I love all the photos - and the one in the paper isn't bad at all! I thought it was cute - so is the one of you and your son. I love your hair - how it flips out at the end. I'm going to try that! I'm posting about books tomorrow - and even though I haven't picked yours up yet (nothing personal - no time to read!) I mention it in my post - as it's the first in my pile I'm going to read at the beach in May!

March 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Eowyn--Wow! Thanks! What a nice thing to say! Rachel--that is so true! Well, a twin sister can be worse . . . Christy--thank you! And the beach is a great place to read a fun book!

March 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Post a Comment