A Gratitude Apple A Day Keeps The Psychiatrist Away  

Posted by Heidi in

I try to eat a helping of gratitude every day. It helps to keep the nasties (discontent, selfishness and covoteouness) at bay, so here's my gratitude apple (I was going to call it a "grapple" but not only is that a grape flavored apple but I thought saying "A Grapple A Day, etc. might cause some to feel a spark of alarm) for today . . .

All week long I have been SO grateful for my guest bloggists. It was an honor to have Melanie J., Luisa, Laura, Lisa and Jami here all week (and not only because of all the L's and J's involved). In fact, it was such a tremendous experience, next time I'm going to go on a two week blogcation and have a chance to ask some of my other favorite bloggists who won't be quite as busy /already going way out of their way to help me out with other things (maybe sometime this summer since my school teacher husband likes me better when I give him some attention. Men are funny that way).

I'm also very grateful for all of you who came to my blog this past week and read and commented--I know you did it because you love Melanie, Luisa, Laura, Lisa and Jami or were generous enough to give them a chance even if you did not know them. That means a lot to me! I have the best blog readers in blogdania and I am so excited to get to meet as many of you as possible later on THIS WEEK. This VERY week! (can't wait!)

I'm grateful that I took a week off to spend time with my family. After nearly a year of blogging (a lot) it was good to get up every morning with them, and only them, in mind. I think they appreciated it too. Yesterday morning my 7 year old got out of bed and gave me a big hug, telling me how much he missed me during the night and how much he wanted to give me a hug b/c I'm so comfy. Since this child has always been 110% daddy's boy, that meant the world to me.

Lastly, even though I woke up this morning having a panic attack thinking about all the blog posts I have to catch up on and the trip I have to get ready for in just a few days (during which time MORE blog posts will pile up waiting to be read), I am grateful for technology (and for the fact that I went to church--being there got my breathing back to normal again). I am so incredibly grateful for all the things I am able to learn and see online and all the truly wonderful people I have had a chance to know. Another one of my favorite things about technology is that it makes it possible for the most obscure person to have their talent validated. As someone who has recently experienced the wonder of having my wee bit of talent validated (through publication of my book and getting feedback from all of you about it and my blog, etc.) it means SO much more to me when I see some underdog get his/her due.

The below link is to a clip of one such gal. (Because it is from Britain's Got Talent, they won't allow me to embed the clip, just the link.) It is totally worth it to view this fun, funny, inspiring, touching and tear-jerking video, besides which, if you are a fan of Simon Cowell, or even better, NOT, you will get a chance to see him acting like a total angel who has a singularly sweet smile. Who knew?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 at Sunday, April 19, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

23 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I'm all about the gratitude apple. Without it, I would completely implode under the weight of my own ego.

April 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I"m glad you had a good blog break!

And that clip makes me tear up, everytime!

April 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Gratitude apples are hard for me, I'm allergic to fruit. So I go for the gratitude steak, much more filling and I won't die from anaphylactic shock. Always a good thing. ;)

April 19, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Melinda - you're alleric to fruit?! So is my son. But I'm allergic to nuts (Not the people kind of nuts - they're my fav).

Heidi, you have totally inspired me today. Have you ever had one of those days when everything seems to go wrong (and you burst out in frustration in the middle of Sun.School?) okay, maybe that's only me. But I love the idea of Grapple. It's been a very hard couple of weeks for me, and I think I've forgotten all about gratitute. Thanks for the reminder. =)

April 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I saw that! It was really inspiring.

Your guest bloggers were fun to read. I think everyone needs a blogging vacation sometimes!

It's nice to have you back. I enjoy your attitude. I love the gratitude apple. Maybe Grappletude? I agree that gratitude really helps to keep things in perspective. And it’s amazing how much happier we are and emotionally healthy when we have the gratitude perspective

April 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM

You're very welcome! It was nice to be asked, so thank you to you, too!

I'll see you this week!

April 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM
Anonymous  

Welcome back. I'm grateful for the positive thoughts and laughs I get from your blog.

April 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Gratitude is an amazing thing. Even when you hear someone else expressing it, it still does wonders for your own soul.

On the countdown now!

April 19, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Do NOT worry about catching up; just take it from here. Otherwise, you've just moved the stress. This week, little "Maddie" passed away, and groups are forming to walk in her honor at the March of Dimes Walkathon. I've been catching up all weekend, and there is nothing else that earth-shattering going on in Internetland. Enjoy your burden-free week :)

April 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

What a wonderful break. I am so touched by what your 7 year old said to you. Made me realize how much blogging can pull us away from our focus. It's a hard balance.

Don't catch up. Just start over. Slowly.

But first have a wonderful wonderful time in Utah.

Give everyone a hug from me OKAY! Especially Val. Please take photos with them all.

LY

April 19, 2009 at 6:05 PM
Anonymous  

Thank you again, Heids for the opportunity to guest-post.

I loved the guest posts too but I missed your unique brand of happy-quirky-kindness. =]

Thank you for the mention about gratitude. I needed it today. I can't wait to meet you this week. =]

April 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I keep meaning to start a gratitude journal... some days I think I could put in some real deep thoughts... other days, I have to be grateful that my kids are only nasty 75% of the day - or that I only have 5 kids to drive me crazy...

and apples are one of the few fruits that I'm NOT allergic to, so bring on those gratitude apples (Melinda, how about a gratitude zucchini?)

April 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM

You guys are so sweet and clever! The only thing I feel grumpy about is not being able to meet ALL of you this weekend! Grump grump grump!

April 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Where are you off to this weekend? Enjoy! I'm glad you had a nice break... we missed you but you had some great ladies fill in for you!

April 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I have seen that apple now several times AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! So very amazing and it was nice to see that side of Simon. HEY - it is looking good that I will be able to meet up with you all this weekend and I am so excited. Won't that be cool - to see each other in person. whooppee

April 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Welcome home! Glad to see you back :-)

April 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Yea what crash said...no need to catch up, just start over and slowly!

I love biting into a good Gratitude piece of attitude! It just seems to align everything right where it needs to be! :)

April 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I ♥Simon Cowell...
And she is AMAZING! I love those shows where someone comes out with an unexpected zinger.

I went to church today too. It was good :)

April 19, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Abra--that's good to know! Love your new profile pic! Fiona--I'm going to Utah. I don't suppose you are up for an eight drive to the Provo area, eh? hee hee

April 19, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I read on a blog recently (I just put it in the comments on Kimberly's blog, too, sorry, I just LOVE it) that feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it away. So you've done a great job with both the wrapping and the giving. :) Thanks so much for letting me guest post.

I can't believe it's already that week!! I hope you have a WONDERFUL time and take pictures and share!

April 20, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Glad you enjoyed your break and I hope you continue to find a good balance of 'real life' and blogging. I know that blogging is fun, but it doesnt take the place of real moments. Enjoy your moments!~

April 20, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Way to "grapple" with life. Ha!

Remember, there are no "Have to's" in blogging. Be gentle to yourself!

April 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Ditto everything LT said.
Lovely thoughts on gratitude.
And isn't it funny how much easier it is to feel grateful and notice goodness when life gets a bit ROUGH?

I think Susan Boyle is the next Paul Potts! That clip gives me chills.

April 21, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Post a Comment