Beware The Hellevator  

Posted by Heidi in

Whilst busily occupied trying to convince the Middle Child that life is worth living via many trips to the mall, the movies, the munchie-factories and the mental doctor, and casually inserting comments into countless conversations regarding unrequited love such as “dying by your own hand is WRONG and BAD and worse yet, STUPID, because if you were to do that, you would go straight to Hell via the "Hellevator” (thanks Big Guy for the cool new word---coming soon to a dictionary near you!) (which of course I don’t believe is true when you are young and your brain chemistry is addled but I am heartily invested in making sure she believes it because DUH!) I have been thinking about blogging. Or more precisely, not blogging.

Perhaps a few of you have noticed that I haven’t been around. Like, at all. So, no, it’s not just you I haven’t been visiting (just in case you were feeling personally rejected). I have a lot of anxiety about blogging and coupled with this malfunctioning thyroid thing and the Middle Child thing and plain ol’ being run ragged, I just haven’t had the time or energy or brain-power to blog. However, I realize I have left some of you hanging with the Situation around here so I just wanted to assure you that all of us here at Dunhaven Place are still amongst the land of the living.

Meanwhile, I miss you all so much! I hope to be blogging again just as soon as the MC is out of danger. And my book is finished and my thyroid is functioning and I finish planting my flowers in the yard. And I paint my trellises.

And I mail the stuff people won in the contest in APRIL.

And the dishes. I really ought to do think about doing those . . .(so don’t hold your breath—unless, of course, you live here, in which case it’s pretty much the only way to get through the kitchen without passing out . . .)


P.S. I wrote 4,100 words on Miss D Two on Tuesday. Is it weird that it makes me feel slightly dirty?

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 at Thursday, June 11, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

47 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I was thinking about you last night, and was going to come over and make sure you were OK, when you just popped up!

You take the time you need for your family.

June 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM

luckily your blog absence coincided with my own - so I only noticed slightly :)

We'll welcome you back with open arms when you are ready - deep breaths!

June 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I have missed you. Terribly. But it is definetly far more important to keep your middle child off the Hellevator(oh my gosh that is the best word EVER!) than to blog.

Hope everything levels out for you soon.

June 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Hellevator! Oh my gosh, been there, done that. LOVE that word!

And I'm going to pray for you and your middle child. There is nothing more harrowing than trying to keep someone in your family from doing themselves in.

Bless you, Heidi!

And I have missed you, very much, but I SO get this. Hang in there!

June 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I'm loving the Hellevator - I'm going to try to use it in casual conversation today - I'll let you know how it goes!!

I was just thinking about you today - man Kristina had the jump on me even in thinking - she's good! I'm glad you're still hanging on - just know we're all here holding you up so you won't fall!

Sending lots of love and chocolate!

June 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Just take one moment at a time... and find joys in the little things as you are able to.
I will be praying for you and your family... Hang in there girl~!

June 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM

People do notice your absence because you have such a beautiful presence. BUT everyone understands and is totally cool with it. If they are not, I will beat them up and then take the Hellevator south for doing it...

June 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Yes-you have been missed. But I hope everything gets LOTS better soon. Good luck and I'm thinking about you and you're awesome!

June 11, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I've been praying for you all, hun. Family and life before blogging, always. Blogging is something that is supposed to give lustre to life, I think, not replace it. ~hugs~

June 11, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Glad to hear you did not fall off the edge of the planet. I hope you get caught up soon!

June 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Glad to know that no one has taken the trip down the hellevater. It really is a great word.

We'll miss you but I'm starting to think that I may need my own time out from blogging in order to make my house liveable someday. . .

June 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM

It sounds like you need to just breath. We love ya Heidi. Take good care of yourself. That's an order. Well and encouragement anyways.

June 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Missed you, but family does come first (unless you are my kids in which case you are not first- but we all know that, don't we?).

Glad you are among the living. Keep hanging in there. I'll check in with you when you are able to come back to bloggyland.

June 11, 2009 at 1:11 PM

We all understand completely. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you deal with all you have on your plate.

June 11, 2009 at 1:15 PM
Anonymous  

Oh, poor, sweet Heidi. Life is not fair (especially for adolescent girls), but as I always assure my children, justice is an eternal concept. Heartfelt prayers and the very best virtual chocolate continuing your way.

Have you and the MC seen any good movies? Second daughter and I are going to spend a few days in SLC celebrating our respective birthdays later this month, and we're trying to decide what to see on our day at The Gateway.

Speaking of my birthday, I hope you and your DH can enjoy your anniversary amidst all the family drama. Good job on Miss D II!!

June 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM

lots of people her love you..

take care of mc..
been ther, done that....its hard.
tell her.. its much better here.

June 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I so wish I had a magic wand and could wave it and make everything all better. I don't really like enduring to the end, but I know you will make it through this trial. I hope knowing so many are pulling for you will help. I remember a few months ago when I was facing my own feeling of not wanting to go on. And now just a few months later, I am actually glad to be alive. It is amazing how things can change. I do hope that you are taking good care of you. Can't wait to hear that is all better.

June 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I was just wondering about you, too. Glad to know you're hanging in there. Go tend to your trellises and your children. Much like the universe, the blogosphere keeps expanding. It'll be here when you get back. :)

June 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I am glad all is well. Well...hanging in there anyway.

That Big Guy of yours has a brilliant streak. Hellevator. Excellent.

Hugs to M.C.

Hugs to you too.

June 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Heidi--congratulations on all that you have written for your new book and best of luck with your daughter. She and your family remain in our prayers. And know you have been missed!!!

June 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Oh, Hon, don't worry about me; just do what you need to do. I will definitely keep you on my prayer list.

June 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Thinking of you and sending love.
Curious why the slightly dirty? I may just not be in on something. Picked up your book this week and I'm totally loving it!

June 11, 2009 at 10:09 PM

You guys rock! Love you all!

June 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I have missed you! Please, if you are having thyroid issues, make sure they check both your T3 and T4 levels. One of mine was hyper and the other hypo. It was wreaking havoc on my moods and my emotions! I'm so sorry you are going through this! I am now on two separate thyroid meds and it has made a HUGE difference!

June 11, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to things getting back to "normal" (whatever that means, right?) at your house. Hang in there.

June 12, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Did you see that? Heidi posted! Heidi posted! I hope things are looking up, or will be soon. And I wish I could come wash your dishes. And bring you cookies. And help you paint your trellises. (How fun would THAT be?)

Love you too!

And maybe you can just drop us a line by post (I mean, not by post, like the mail, but by writing a post) now and again like this until you feel like coming back. Just if you feel like it.

June 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Sad children, motherly duties, wifely duties. We can wait while you tend to these important things.

Got you in my thoughts.

June 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM

I'm so stealing the Hellavator! I love it!

Good luck and prayers and love with you always.

June 12, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Congrats on getting your book finished. Sorry about the thyroid problems and middle-child syndrome. My middle is bugging me right now to play Funbrain and since I have a pile of laundry maybe I'll be a nice mom and let him touch my computer.
Take care of yourself,
Cami

June 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Anonymous  

Although I have far less urgent reasons, I've kindasorta abandoned my blog (and others', more or less) just because it's summer.

The internet will still be here when you get back. Meanwhile, I'll add you and your MC to my prayers.

June 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM

That is a lot! And you got all of that writing time in... you can do anything!

June 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Hey woman! I miss you! Hope you are doing well! ♥ HUGS ♥

June 13, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Take it easy girl, we'll be right here when you come back!

June 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Hope things are going better in your neck of the woods. We have been busy like bees over here too. And been extremely absent from bloggy land. And I love the new word, Hellevator. You should totally try to patent it or call Websters or something.

June 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I've been thinking about you, too. You do what you gotta do and come back to us when you have the time and energy. That's the beauty of having imaginary friends, we're always here when you need us.

June 14, 2009 at 10:08 AM

You're writing a dirty book? Mmm my curiosity is peaked.

I admire the fact that you have put family first. Hang in there.

Since I can't just hop over there and help you, I've decided to look around my neighborhood to see who may need a helping hand... Your family is in my prayers. And I believe in prayers.

June 15, 2009 at 6:28 AM

4100 WORDS?!

That's pretty amazing. Good thing blogging has kept up your typing skills.

June 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Anonymous  

Hey, I think we all hit a point where we need to step away from the computer. Good for you for doing it. Plus, that makes me feel better about having done the same thing!

June 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I think this is a time when a lot of us are having trouble getting on like we used to! We'll all reconnect soon:)

June 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I have already commented on this post, but since it has been a few days I decided to come back and check on you. I hope things are going better. L.

June 15, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I hope your daughter is o.k. I worry about how my now seven-year-old will be as a teenager, as she is already so negative and everything is a catastrophe.

June 16, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Hey Heidi-
Just popping in to see how you're doing. I've been a little MIA too, but I did want to tell you I'm thinking about you!

June 16, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Hoping things are better...

Stopped by to point you to a recent post that you might find fills you up a bit :)

http://www.halfpastkissintime.com/2009/06/need-inspiration.html

Take care...

June 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Anonymous  

Heids, I've abandoned the blogosphere for the last week and a half so you're not alone. Most importantly, you are where you need to be. MC needs you, Big Guy needs you, LG needs you, and I'm sure hubby needs you too. The great thing about us online weirdoes (no offense anyone!) is that we're always around and will be here when you get back. (Or email you when we get too lonely without you!)
Thank you for updating us all in regards to MC. Please give her my love and you too!
Love you, Heids! Take care.

June 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM

HELLEVATOR!!! That's good and I'm totally stealing it!

Take a break... the cool thing about blogging world is we are still here when you get back!!! You're in my reader so I'll know when you post!

June 17, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Haha! I just posted about the same thing.

Dishes are over-rated.

WAY TO GO on your progress on Miss D part two.

June 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I didn't take it personally. Sometimes life keeps us really busy. I still enjoy it when you post. You have a really good sense of humor (no pressure, it's just the way you look at life. it's real and yet uplifting). I hope you have a good weekend!

June 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Post a Comment