In Which The Spouse And I Survive A DIY Project  

Posted by Heidi in

(This photo, which has absolutely nothing to do with my post today, is a Double Delight from my garden. It is the same rose that graces the cover of Miss D. The Double Delight looks incredible, changes colors, smells delightful and is soft as butter--it's a rose to be cherished.)

Remember the below photo? Could it have been only yesterday that I posted it? (Time goes slowly when you're working hard.) (Just so you know, I have nothing against the "stone paver" linoleum that was there. It's fairly new in spite of the fact that it looks somewhat warped (if shot too close, my eccentric camera makes straight lines a bit curvy which is just the thing for taking photos of rail-thin fashion models but, alas, not much else) and it hides dirt well, both important factors. However, I am always looking for ways to make my abode resemble a well-cared for cottage of days gone by as opposed to the tired and worn out 1970's era structure that it is. Nothing says "old and beautiful" like wood floors even if they are, in actuality, cheapie laminate samples from the now-defunct home improvement store.)

I Not only are these cheapie laminate samples, but they are samples of four different kinds of "wood". There's "cherry", "oak" , "pine" and er, um, can't remember the other one . . . (Did I mention, only 20 bucks!) (Please ignore the filth of the area rug . . .I want to buy a new one but anything with white in it will get just as filthy in no time but anything without white will be, I fear, too dark. What's a perfectionist who doesn't like to clean to do?



Here's a shot that shows the portraits of my three babies at age 18 months, all wearing the same linen outfit with lace around the collar and sleeves. (Yes, even the boys!) The outfit was hecka expensive so I justified buying it when I came up with the idea of having all my kids (two of which hadn't been gleamed of yet) wear it for a special picture. It took years to bring the vision to fruition but I'm loving the result. (You're still ignoring the filth of the area rug, right?)


Here's a shot that shows all sides at once. Check out the pefection of those mitered corners in the shoe molding! (Some might be tempted to call them baseboards but that would be the base, stiff version of what the hipsters are now calling "shoe molding". True story.) I'm sure there's a special and somewhat largish section set aside in Hell for the truly wicked, one in which they are required to mitre a perfect corner on a pair of thick and convoluted molding pieces with a hand saw. No special tricks are required to ensure the wicked will spend eternity attempting to acheive such an impossible task. Meanwhile, ours were perfected by making a deal with the devil, er, that is to say, filling the gaps with mucho wood fill. One of our corners was even done in three pieces instead of the usual two. It takes a lot of talent to do that (and a lot of wood fill to fix it. Phew! I'm exhausted!)
Now I just have to get the Middle Child (who is feeling much better, by the way---thank you so much for your love and prayers!) ready for girl's camp. I'm thinking I might even get to read blogs next week. Woo hoo! (P.S. The trip to the hospital was a joke. You know that, right?)

This entry was posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 at Friday, July 10, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

31 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I really love the new flooring! You guys did an excellent job.

July 10, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Wow, the flooring looks awesome! And it is even awesomer for only 20 bucks!
xoxo

July 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM

It looks lovely. I think you've done a great job. I love the little chandelier! The pictures! The table with the roses! It's so you!

The picture of the rose at the top is beautiful!

July 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I'm definitely impressed. I love wood, er laminate, or whatever it is. Looks pretty! And fits nicely in a well-cared for abode.

July 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM

looks fabulous darling! i am truly impressed!

katelynn is going to girls camp. i hope she gets time to spend with MC. she loves her and thinks she is awesome! please tell her that !

July 10, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Anonymous  

Entryway=totally worth the price of all the expensive accoutrements. Looks great. Love those baby portraits! So happy to hear the MC is feeling better and hope that girls' camp will be a great experience for her. Always good to read your smiling prose, Heidi!

July 10, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Amazing! Wow. I'm glad you both survived--literally.

July 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I love it. Isn't it great how a small project can make you feel so powerful?

July 10, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I love it! I love the mixture of the wood. It makes your door look new! I just love it.

July 10, 2009 at 6:40 PM

It looks really nice! I love the floors, and I think the picture idea was a brilliant one. (And the rug doesn't look dirty, just antiqued. Perfect word to describe it.)

July 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I love it! I think it looks great.

July 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM
Anonymous  

The flooring is gorgeous and the moulding is PERFECT. Me thinks I fell in love with the side table (don't know the proper word, here.) That's really, really GORGEOUS! And the roses? Perfect touch, darling. Perfect touch!

July 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Great job. I love the classy wood floor look (can't believe that price! awesome).

I love the pictures. I did a similar thing with my three kids.

July 10, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Your house looks lovely, Heidi. And the fact that you managed to take on this project with your husband and remain married is just an added bonus. I am not sure that my husband and I have the same fortitude.

:)

-Francesca

July 11, 2009 at 6:43 AM

I'm impressed!

July 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM

It's so beautiful!

July 11, 2009 at 7:31 AM

I just want to say that I'm so glad you did this because know that DIY is possible, and even for cheap.

I love the mixed wood! Awesome!

July 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM

The floor looks great! I love wood flooring. And, thanks, it was a joke. URGH. You've done that before too and I fall for it all the time.

July 11, 2009 at 7:34 AM

looks great! Our "shoe molding" is actually 1 X 4 boards stained to match the flooring... which unfortunately doesn't look good with lots of wood filler...

and I LOVE the different woods mixed together - gives it a very nce look!

July 11, 2009 at 10:12 AM

nce standing for nifty complementary effect... or we could just admit that I mis-typed "nice"...

July 11, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I knew that! (My comment was a joke too. You know that, right?)
8)

July 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Very beeutiful. I love it. Very much like a cottage.

Glad to hear the MC us going to camp. I am not this year and I am still in mourning over it.

July 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Your entryway is just as lovely and charming as you are!!! Nice work!

July 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM

It looks great, Heidi! Don't you find yourself just walking past and staring at it?

We have wood laminate in our dining room and I love it! Congrats, you little handywoman, you.

July 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Heidi, it all looks so beautiful and so you! Just the right touches. Hope all is well.

July 13, 2009 at 7:40 PM

The floor looks great! I bow to the queen of home improvement projects, you are awesome! I love your cottage decorating, it makes me happy!

July 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM

You are a woman of many talents, and decorating is near the top! Wow. Glad to hear you might get a break next week :)

July 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM

The whole project looks terrific! I love that floor.

July 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Hellllooooo!!! What do you think wood filler is for??? You used it wisely!

PS....love the floor and decor!

July 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I will let all the comments about your lovely home stand and instead, make a comment about your camera. These pictures are a perfect example of what point-and-shoot cameras do. They have super-wide lenses, which distort things. Such as your face. Which is why you can never trust a picture of yourself taken with one. That should make everybody feel better.

July 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM
Anonymous  

Very pretty! It never would have occurred to me that you could mix different looks of laminate like that, but it looks great. And such a deal!

July 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Post a Comment