(One Of) The Best Place(s) To Seek God Is In A Garden  

Posted by Heidi in

Sorry, George, for maligning your quote with my additions in parentheses. The amusing thing about the above photo of my Queen of Sweden rose bush is that the flower pictured is only about an inch across. It was a bit breezy and I had to steady the stem . . . my arm is actually quite far from the bloom. Ah, perspective! It is the author of so many misunderstandings. (I am waxing philosophical today.) The photo below shows the same rose looking pale in the evening light.


The photo below shows the same rose stretching and blooming in the glow of the next morning's sun.


(Clearly) I absolutely adore roses. However, there are roses that don't bloom in gardens. Some of the best roses are friendships that bloom in blogs. Look who I got to meet when I attended church with my sister this past Sunday!

(I am a brave woman to post this photo. The difference between the color of our teeth is just the beginning. My ten pound weight gain due to my wonky thyroid gland is, alas, not even the end.) Marivic of Little Grumpy Angel is a true rose and not just because her teeth are white and her pink blouse felt like the softest rose petals. It was SO FUN to get to meet her and experience her tiny-ness and hear her voice. She was so darn sweet! (Go to her blog if you want to see another photo.)
Meanwhile, the Middle Child is at girl's camp and we are enjoying having one less responsibility. I am resting in between bouts of "getting things done" and hope to return to real and actual blogging when school starts.
In the Cloister



"I'm not really a career person. I'm a gardener, basically."-- George Harrison



"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln



"I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers."-- Claude Monet
In the Courtyard



"A garden is never so good as it will be next year."-- Thomas Cooper




"Earth laughs in flower."-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


"The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies." -- Gertrude Jekyll



"When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, There is always the garden."-- Minnie Aumonier

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 at Thursday, July 16, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

43 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love your blooming metaphor. So true about friendships. They start as small little seeds and turn into something important and, many times, life sustaining.

And I love the Abe Lincoln quote. What a guy!

And I really love Marivic. Her blog was one of the first ones I started reading. She seems like such a cute little spit fire!

And finally, will you just quit it about your teeth? Sheesh. You are beautiful!

July 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM

This post is a visual feast! And I'm jealous that you got to meet Marivic. I'd love to meet her some day!

July 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Gorgeous pictures! I've told you before-I can't manage to keep plastic plants alive...so I definitely enjoy looking at your beautiful flowers:)

How did you end up getting a rose on the cover of your book? Cuz from the *very* small amount I've read about covers, it doesn't seem like the author gets to pick what's on it...but yours is perfect for you!

July 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM

That first rose is so darling and beautiful. I would never have guessed it was so small. Like Marivic. (but I knew she was small)

Are all those shots from your garden? They are beautiful! Sheesh.

And I really love all the quotes.

July 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Kazzy-do I have to? Really? Yep, that Abe was quite the realist. Annette--thanks! Barb--see email. In short, I was lucky, very lucky--the large print edition also has roses. I think it's a popular choice for romance covers, anyway. Lisa--yes they are all shots from my garden. Since I took them, we have had some heat and things aren't looking quite so blooming good!

July 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Your flowers are so beautiful. I need you to teach me how to garden. All green things that come near me seem to die.

And you are beautiful, I don't even know what you're talking about in regards to that picture.

July 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

So, so lovely...You, and Marivic, and the roses. Your whole garden. Which is probably an apt metaphor for your heart.

I'm dying that you ran into her...was that just by accident that you showed up at the same ward? Or was it planned?

And please -- you are beautiful. Inside and out. Not another word about teeth or thyroids (even though I suffer from both of those maladies). Everyone here was completely mesmerized by your loveliness.

July 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Talk about blooming where you are planted. Beautiful.

July 16, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Lara--lots of trial and error. And lots of water. And following instructions. My father always advises to walk around your neighborhood and see what's growing well as the microclimate on one block can be different from the next. (And did I mention--lots of water?!?!) Charrette--you are so darn sweet! Thank you! Actually, when I found out I would be attending my sister's ward (about two hours from my home) I emailed Marivic and asked if she would be in town that Sunday. She lives just a few doors down from my sister and her son and my nephew are best buds. The funny thing is, she found my blog through my cousin's in Utah. Small world! Pat--thanks ever so!

July 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM

loved all the quotes - and... okay, everything as usual!!!

July 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM

You are beautiful...and what strikes me most is that you're so young! I've visited your blog plenty of times but always thought of you (for some strange reason) as much older. You are as youthful as the blooming roses in this post. In fact, gorgeous.

July 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM
Anonymous  

Heids, Heids, Heids. You're ONE GORGEOUS GAL! I know because I've met you, heard your lyrical voice, hugged ya, and spent a lovely few hours just enjoying your company! You are positively delightful! Be kind to you, friend. You're very beautiful.

And your garden is TOO! No wonder God dwells in the garden. He must be a frequent visitor to yours because it's just gorgeous! It's almost like a Greek paradise. All those flowy curtains, decor, and varied life in bloom! I'm so glad you took pictures of that one flower in stages. What a marvel it was!

p.s. I love the quotes! (You KNOW I do!)

July 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Aw, Heidi you are so kind to me, but I want your readers to know how beautiful you are. More beautiful than a rose in fact. And you are so poised and regal, and your smile is even more gorgeous in person. And, no, you don't have yellow teeth! I would have noticed because my mother was Miss Dental Health or something in High School and made us all neurotic about teeth :-) so stop it! I was so honored to meet you in person.

BTW, I wish my garden was as pretty as yours.

July 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM

The appears to be a big difference between AZ in the summer and CA in the summer. At least when it comes to gardens. But AZ has its own good seasons. All in due time, right? Glad to see you are feeling better.

July 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM

You honestly do have a "done" Haven Heidi :) Just beautiful. And I would have loved to meet grumpy.

July 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Hey, this is one of my favorite posts. Maybe I needed a heavenly garden to perk my day up!

July 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Are all those pictures really from your garden? You could be a professional gardener Heidi - it's absolutely stunning. And to have mountains in the distance? Wowzers! Loved this post! And oh please - you look gorgeous, and oh-so-young!

July 16, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Wow. I love what you've done with your space! Those Roses... WOW.

July 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM

T---ooh, too many flower pics, huh? Terresa--Thank you! You're my new best friend! However, I'm pretty sure you think of me as older b/c I AM. I'll be 45 in September. I dress kind of youthfully, though, which, when you see me up close, might be a little too much. Stacy and Clinton of "What Not To Wear" would have many home truths for me, I'm sure. Laura--I thought of you many times whilst I was doing this post. Love you! Marivic--alas, everyone seems regal next to you. hee hee. And, hey, it is way too hot where you live to have much of a garden. So sad! Becky--yes, big difference! I do have a lot of shade, though, which helps. Jan--I would love to meet YOU! Janelle--thanks! Is there anything I can do for you? (since you live close, I can maybe actually do something . . .though making dinner is not my strong suit!) Christy--yes, aren't those mountains awesome? You can actually catch a foot trail up to the peak from the complex we live in. That's my favorite spot to sit at that time of the afternoon when the sun is shining on the leaves and everything seems to glow. In the winter, we actually have snow up there sometimes. Heather--roses are very generous. If you feed and water them (they need special rose food) and dead head them regularly, they will treat you very nice! THey don't like lots of hot sun so I put up umbrellas and other things during the hot summer months to shade them.

July 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM

beautiful roses..

and fun to meet good blog friends..

have missed the regular posting.

July 16, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I love the quotes about gardens, so pretty! Your garden is absolutely gorgeous, I love it!

July 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Your garden makes me want to curl up with a book, a lightweight blanket, and a creamsicle and just read and relax to my heart's content. Sigh.

July 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Your garden is amazing. You are obviously very talented in the growing of things.
I have only black thumbs so we have grass and it only survives because my husband takes care of it. I have already killed the plants my two youngest each gave me for Mother's Day. It didn't even take very long.
I sometimes wonder if a vegetable garden would be better but I'm not brave enough to try it.

July 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM
Anonymous  

Lovely photos; lovely quotes; lovely thoughts.

July 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I would be in heaven in your garden! Thanks for sharing!!!

July 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM

We were at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena a couple of weeks ago. They have a gorgeous rose garden and I thought to myself how much you would like it.

July 16, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I love that Lincoln quote.

We'll be at Monet's garden in just a couple of weeks!

I think you look lovely.

July 17, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Heidi! You look Great!!!

and your gardens..... AMAZING!!!

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures!

July 17, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Silly girl, you look as lovely as your garden!

July 17, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Oh my lovely friend! How peaceful, how lovely!

I'm totally stealing your Lincoln quote.

July 17, 2009 at 11:13 AM

How fun to get so many nice comments. I agree with them too. :)

July 17, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Thank you one and all! Jami--it's not my quote, it's Lincoln's. All things considered, I'm sure he won't mind. :)

July 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I love your perspective metaphor! It's soooooo true in life. Dealt with a lot of ugliness and misunderstandings because of this.

You are an amazing gardner! I love it. One day, I will be you! :)

July 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous ladies. And the rose is beautiful, too. Love all those quotes. Abe Lincoln- my fave!

Love all the photos of your flower garden. You have some serious gardening talent!

July 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I want to come live in your garden. Someday, someday, I hope to have one to rival. And is that lavender? Because I love it. I want it.

July 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Wow-That first shot is INcredible! I also love the last one; what a beautiful place for respite--your garden.

July 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I'm beyond jealous that you got to meet Marivic, but I'll get over it quite quickly.

Okay.

I'm over it.

You look fabulous, btw.

Love the garden shots. I kill plants. Although we have an avocado tree growing that we keep doing the wrong thing and being sure that we killed it and then it sprouts again. I keep wondering what is going on.

Hope things are well there!

July 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Your garden photographs are stunning. You have a real talent.

July 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM

You're freaking gorgeous. So are your flowers. And SO stinking cool that you got to meet Marivic!

July 20, 2009 at 9:04 AM

OMG! OMG! OMG! A picture of Heidi in real life?! I thought the day would never come. You are so lovely! What is this business about a 10 pound weight gain. It simply is not possible. You must have been a complete stick beforehand.

Thank you for the picture. It truly made my day.

-Francesca

July 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM

You and your teeth crack me up ... I don't see what you see and I love your smile!

July 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Anonymous  

Your garden is so beautiful, and you're so generous to share photos of it.

I agree with the others who say you look young--maybe it's just this pose, but honestly to me you look like you're in your young twenties. (In a good way!)

Thyroid problems are no fun, huh? I've had thyroid issues for several years and gained a lot more than 10 lbs, and I have to resist the urge to tell anyone and everyone "it's because of my thyroid, honest." (It was even nice to have an excuse to say it just now.) :)

July 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I love getting a look at your garden. You have an insanely green thumb!!
Missing you!

July 22, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Post a Comment