In Which We Attempt A DIY Home Improvement Project  

Posted by Heidi in

The Spouse and I are possessed of two left thumbs. Each. DIY projects are something to fear, or, at the very least, a matter to contemplate with gut-wrenching anxiety. However, when we were perusing the steals and deals at the swan-song-sale of our local hardware store, we couldn't resist buying enough laminate wood flooring samples to cover our meager entryway. True, we had to remove the cardboard backing and the oversized sales stickers on the front but the cost of the samples was a mere $20. What a great deal!

Cost of various sundries such as: Goof Off (for the stickers), a pull saw, trim for the edges (darn those edges!), shoe molding to keep that floating floor from floating away, wood filler, clamp to keep the molding from floating away whilst being sawn in half, rubber mallet, nail sink, and one emergency room visit that became necessary when The Spouse skipped the saw across his wrist (it was an ACCIDENT! One suicidal person in the house at a time is more than enough!) came to . . . well, you don't want to know. That is, I don't want to tell. But, hey, they are all useful items that can be used again if we should ever again get over the fear to arrive at the mere gut-wrenching anxiety which would allow us to merrily renovate something else.

Below is the "before" photo of our entryway. One side has been painted green for nearly a year, now. The floor is linoleum that supposedly looks like stone pavers. The shoe molding is narrow and showing its age. Way past time for a change! Especially if it is only going to cost you $20 (plus expensive sundries and a trip to the emergency room--something about which I was only kidding. We sewed him up here at home.)




Just as soon as I finish up the project and get the blood wiped up off the floor, I will be posting photos . . . (meanwhile, I sure miss you guys!)

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 9, 2009 at Thursday, July 09, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

18 wise, witty and wonderful comments

You are brave! I get wonderful DIY ideas allof the time, but i never have the guts (or really the focus) to follow through.

July 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Looking forward to the photos. And I'm possessed with anything BUT a green thumb. I can't keep even a plastic plant alive. Why is it our thumbs are the cause of our ineptitudes?

July 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Anonymous  

Hey, the floor looks pretty dang great now, in my opinion! I can't wait to see the remodel. (Glad the hubby is all right! You take care of you! I love you, Heids!!!)

July 9, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I hope your project goes faster than most of mine do... I have been waiting for my husband to repair a 1' by 2' hole in the wall in our bedroom for about three months now.

July 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Anonymous  

We thought of replacing the linoleum in our entryway with laminate, but the laminate we have in our dining room is so slippery, and what with our wet weather in the Pacific Northwest, I worried that slippery floors in the entryway might lead to accidents/lawsuits. We're waiting until we can afford slate tile.

Good luck!

July 9, 2009 at 1:43 PM

we actually enjoy DIY projects around here... of course, we have had our fair share of unexpected expenses in the process... most of which come from the amount of clothes that must be replaced when M rubs against the tar, H helps stain the fence, P helps paint the wall, W's foot is spared from the broken tile by his shoe - but the shoe doesn't survive the encounter, or T accidentally nails part of his jeans into the floorboard...

most of those are actually true...

July 9, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Intrepid! You are intrepid. I can't wait to see the "after" shot.

I miss you, too.

July 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I kind of wish my entrance were as nice as the before picture - but can't wait to see the after!

July 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Love the frugality aspect of this! Your front door is so pretty, too.

July 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I was a little sad when I read the "Each" after the first sentence because I was just thinking, "Oh wow! That's exactly how many Greg and I have!" But we don't actually have four like you guys. Oh well. We each have one nose, though. Maybe we're similar to you guys in that way?

Actually I really just thought it was funny and cute when I read that "Each."

Can't wait to see the new entryway! You guys are brave.

July 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Blood, eh? I see you guys renovate the way I do. I can't wait to see the wiped-down "After" pictures, though!

July 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I'm always impressed with people who do these home improvement projects. Looking forward to the after photos.

July 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM

You're so brave! Emergancy trip an all. =)

July 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM

No gory wound pics? Where's the fun in that?

Can't wait to see the after shots which I can only assume will involve a camera not a gun!

July 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Oh gosh. Is he okay? I would have passed out and been useless in the emergency!!! I'm all queasy just THINKING about it. THANKYOU for NOT posting a picture of the blood on the floor.

And looks nice! I admire your ambition. :)

July 10, 2009 at 7:01 AM

You've been missed too! :)

I'll look forward to the after pics, busy lady!

July 10, 2009 at 7:33 AM

I look forward to seeing the finished project. I love DIYs but I usually have to talk G into them.

Miss ya.

July 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Go you and your spouse. Don't you just love a good deal that cost more than something expensive.

July 11, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Post a Comment