The Joys of Starting a New School Year  

Posted by Heidi

Whilst The Spouse was doing Back to School Night and I was playing amateur psychologist for the Big Guy (what do you say when your kid announces he wants to bury a vial of his blood in the backyard as proof that he existed or asks “Can I be buried next to you and Dad?”?) (Really! I need to know!) AND the Middle Child (four days into the new school year and she is devastated that she is being boxed in with the “nerdy” freshmen when CLEARLY she is one of the cool people) (a more common conundrum but one that defies response as much as the Big Guy’s) the Little Guy was creating a feast for me.

He took me by the hand and led me to the backyard to my “flower bower” where I sometimes have breakfast or lunch.

Oh, how I love this boy! Still, this would have been tastier . . .



Meanwhile, this fabric is up for sale HERE. Again. (To answer Megz question, I bought acres of this stuff and this is what is left over after making curtains and pillows, etc. etc. etc. but thank you for the compliment!)


In case anyone was wondering or feeling snubbed, I’m still not really blogging BUT I’m getting closer. I think. Meanwhile, miss you all muchly!
Coming soon . . . how to make something brilliant out of a boring metal folding chair


This entry was posted on Friday, September 4, 2009 at Friday, September 04, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

24 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Even your not-really-blogging posts are enjoyable. Good luck being a psychologist. Apparently it's just standard once you become a mom. Who knew? :)

September 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Oh the problems that come along with being a teenage girl.

September 4, 2009 at 12:40 PM
Anonymous  

There's a twenty-something woman in my ward who is currently expecting her second baby. Last year her mother died, so she and her husband are now "raising" her two half-brothers--ages 14 and 16--the younger of whom has significant educational and emotional challenges. At least most of us get the chance to grow into being the parent of teens.

September 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Best wishes on the what to say thing. When you figure it out, would you mind sharing. K.

September 4, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Help him make a time capsule. Tell him that he can be buried next to you, fifty years from now.

Tell her she'll look extra cool among the geeks, and she may meet the future multi-millionaire husband of her dreams.

The Little Guy has a crush on you. I can tell.

Love the fabric. I'd buy it for a project I'm in the middle of, but I need PUL, because my children are barbarians and think seat cushions are napkins.

Love you.

September 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Barb--it is a must at my house, that's for sure! Randi--I should remember it well since we always had three to four teenage girls in my house pretty much the whole time I lived at home. Pam--that poor gal! I was 25 when my special needs child was born. I often think it would have been much easier if he had been my third instead of my first. Nutty--hee hee! You bet! Jami--you are so wise! Love you too (and your barbarian children!)

September 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM

We miss you too! Your son is so sweet! And I can't wait to do with a metal chair (I have tons of them...they all need help). =)

September 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM
Anonymous  

How cute that The Big Guy surprised you with a date. I have no ideas about the vial of blood thing but I think it's cool that he wants to leave a legacy. As for MC, all I can say is that for me, the nerds ended up being way cooler than the cool kids. (And some of them, hotter!)

September 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Aww...that Little Guy. He's just so sweet.

And I am on pins and needles about the folding chair. I have an ugly one and I'd LOVE for it to be brilliant. I can't wait!

September 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Mmmmm... tasty nature snacks. I have been served those nutritious items before as well :-).

September 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I love the bounteous buffet of nature! Your little one is the sweetest guy. I wish I had sage word for your middle child, but we have our own drama mammas at my house, and they drive me insane. If junior high has started this bad, I cannot imagine the turmoil that high school will entail.

September 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I totally know what you mean about a blog break. This summer has been so nice and there has been just so many other things going on that the blogging slowed down quite a bit for me as well. Well, tell you daughter, than many a romance started with a nerdy guy in class. He just needs a cool girl to class him up. If she is going to CVHS, she has free dibs on my nephew who is a junior and on the water polo team. He is in honors classes so hopefully he will be BYU bound. Wait, she has a bit until 16. Hmmm. Well, we will see.

September 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Can you change the blood to nail clippings or something? Would that satisfy him? Let middle child know she is probably driving the geeks nuts with her beauty! Your little guy is awesome! We all need one of those for balance!

September 4, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Indeed. That is one sweet little boy. Even if he did want you to eat mud. (It was mud, right? Right? Because that is what it looked like.)

Um, I have to tell you, I read Miss D. again just for fun. In 2 days. And one night I stayed up way too late just to get to the part where he carries her up the stairs. (sigh) I'm now wondering if I can get away with reading it again and hiding it from my husband so he doesn't make fun of me. He just doesn't get things like that. . .

September 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I'll bet that psychologist hat gets heavy, but I am sure you are great at it.

What a sweet Little Guy! Stuff like that can salve wounds!

September 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM

The vial of blood ... hmmm. I would say that isn't very good proof that he exists. Carving things into stone is a much better way to leave a record. I'd also tell him that of course he can be burried next to you. Everyone dies. If that's what he wants. That's fine.

The daughter ... people are going to judge you your whole life. Don't let other peoples' perceptions box you in. Be true to how you want to be. Easier said than done. That's a tough one.

Good luck with the teenagers!

September 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Having had no experience with my own teenagers (yet) I can't help you on that one. But I'm with the carving something on a stone thing--if you could trust him to do that.

Love to you!

September 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I agree with the suggestion to do a time capsule. And how cute about the nature snacks!! What a sweet little boy.

September 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Lovely to see you, if only briefly!

September 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Please pass the nuts, leaves and berries. Oh, and is there any cookies and milk, too?

I love these "unblogging" posts of yours...
;)

September 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Bury his blood. That kinda cracks me up. Ok it really cracks me up. Good luck with the new school year!

September 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Anonymous  

your pix always make me take a step back in time.... very cool!

September 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Um... wow. Good luck with the blood vials and the be-nerd-ified!

September 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I love how you decorate and I love our sense of style!!!
I have missed keeping in touch with you lately with my move and all.
BUT, now that I am mor settled I hope to drop by your blog on a more regular basis like I used to.

cute lunch that your son fixed for you
our kids sure provide us with alot of joy (and alot of ,well, stress??)

September 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Post a Comment