What Think Ye of Christmas?--How I Love It!!!  

Posted by Heidi in

Once upon a time, a lovely friend invited me into her home. We (our group included her sister, otherwise known as the the selfless "Molly" and her/their/my/our friend Kazzy) had a delicious dinner of homemade soup and bread. Afterwards, we noshed on incredible desserts along with their entire book group whom she had encouraged to read my very first novel. It was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me in my entire life, made even more remarkable by the fact that I had never met any of these ladies in person until I flew from my home in California to theirs in Utah in time for dinner.


How cool is that?

So, when Jana (known as Charrette on her blog) asked me to blog about HER first book and offer a copy to give away, I was thrilled to be a part of it. I was even more thrilled when this slim little volume (written by Ester Rasband, illustrated by Jana Winters Parkin) arrived in the mail (on my birthday, no less!) and I was able to read every measured word matched with every inspired stroke of Jana's luminous paintings. (Read here and here and then keep reading about how Jana used inspiration to create these gorgeous works of art.)

What struck me first about these gentle, delicate and ethereal illustrations was how unlike they are from the usually rather robust representations of over-abundance we are accustomed to see when looking at anything having to do with a secular Christmas celebration. How much better suited these magical renditions are to the thoughtful message of "What Think Ye Of Christmas?"

Second, I was struck by the theme of symbolism. We often hear about the symbols of Christmas and what they mean: the candy cane for the shepherd's crook, and so on and so forth. However, the meaning behind the symbols so beautifully depicted here are much more meaningful than a curved piece of wood. These symbols bring one directly to Christ, to His gift to each one of us, of our obligation to receive that gift if we are to truly celebrate Christmas as it was intended to be celebrated.

I was particularly overcome with emotion when I read the scripture quoted on the last page, the very one my son learned and memorized for the children's program at church just a few days prior to reading this book. "After the many testimonies which have been given of Him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of Him: That He Lives!"


It is, quite simply, the best thing you can buy as a Christmas gift for anyone, including yourself! And I am giving away a copy this very minute. If you want to be included in the giveaway, please make a comment saying so. If you linked here from Facebook and you don't have a google I.D., then just comment on FB or send me an email and I will include you. I will figure out a fair way to randomly choose a winner. (The deadline to enter is Saturday night the 20th of November at midnight.)

At this wonderful time of year, I am so thankful for the God-given talents each one of us enjoys, via our own but mostly, via those of others around us. I am so grateful to have been asked to do this for someone who has done so many lovely things for me and am over-joyed that I have such a wonderful group of friends "out there, somewhere" . . . Hugs!

This entry was posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 at Saturday, November 13, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

18 wise, witty and wonderful comments

She is a genius. And I am not saying that because I love her like a sister or anything. Seriously, she is.

Thanks for the link.

XO

November 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Lovely review! I really cannot wait to get this book! I'm planning to give it to the girls in my family for Christmas. (but wouldn't mind winning one!)

November 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
November 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Heidi, I am speechless. Thank you so much for your kindness and your glowing review. Hopefully it made you as happy to do this as it did me to have you fly up for a reading with my book group!

You are such a love --

xo

November 14, 2010 at 11:41 PM

p.s. Just want to let you and your readers know I'm giving away some of the art from the book on my blog this week...just two days left to enter! http://divergentpathways.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-all-summer-water-light.html

I'm also giving away a book for everyone on one lucky person's gift list (up to ten!) Here's the link to that: http://divergentpathways.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-all-summer-opening-miracles.html

xoxo

November 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I've been following the story on her blog and can't wait to see this book!

November 15, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I would love to win! The book sounds simply delightful.

November 15, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Amen to all of that. I want to win. PICK ME!

November 15, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I want one too, if I don't win here I suppose I'll just have to buy it anyway! :)

November 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM

looks like something I need to be giving away in spades (well, not my copy of course, that I need to keep!)

November 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for the review. I wanted the book before, but I REALLY want it now!

I enjoyed seeing your published work here, too. Can't wait to check them out!

November 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM

What a lovely way to return an amazing act of kindness! The paintings are breathtaking.

November 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

What a sweet, lovely evening, soup, bookclub and all!

The Christmas book sounds sweet, I'd love to be included in the giveaway!!

And, as the song goes, "It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas..."

:)

November 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I'll definitely be getting this book one way or another. Thanks Heidi!

November 16, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Sounds great! Maybe I should get several for teachers gifts this year!

November 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I'm dying to have this book. And I think I'll be buying it for a few people anyway. It's just so beautiful.

November 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Looks awesome...Enter me. :) Are you going to post about your Christmas decor soon?! I'm anxious to see it when it's all ready!! :)

November 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Great review. I'm going to have to pick it up (unless I win it). =)

November 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Post a Comment