Grateful for a Flower-Filled May Day  

Posted by Heidi in

Foxgloves don't grow well in my area so every spring I buy one in a pot and set it out for a few weeks of spring-time glory.




A Queen Elizabeth rose bush giving birth to twins.


Abraham Darby glowing in the sun.


This White Iceberg bush has taken off since I cut down the potato vine that towered over it. There's a lesson in that somewhere.





The Mary Rose, a David Austin rose bush named after a ship called The Mary Rose, a favorite of King Henry the 8th.



The arch is practically groaning with promise. I can hardly wait.


In the back, the first New Dawn climbing rose has burst its seams.


An Abraham Darby bud about to bloom.


Pretty much the best color combination ever.






Cecile Brunner climbing roses basking in the light. I had cut this plant away from the arch for lack of blooming and put a new climbing rose in its place. Now it is behaving beautifully. Surely there is a lesson in that, as well.



A clutch of roses to perfume the house. (And, yes, Kristina, it does smell lovely!)



Lemon blossoms are just about the sweetest thing to ever scent a breeze.


I am grateful to live in an area where spring comes early and where I can have a few patches of brown earth to partner with God in the growing of green things. Partnering with God to grow children is even better. Now that I spend long days away from home and my Big Guy, Middle Child and Little Guy, I treasure every opportunity I have to interact with them, serve them and breathe in the fragrance of their presence in my life.

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 1, 2011 at Sunday, May 01, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh, you with the green thumb! Looks terrific!

May 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I don't know how I'd get anything done if I had that wonderful spot. You do have a green thumb!

May 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Oh my gosh. It's so beautiful! We just got rid of our snow. I can't wait until our flowers start to bloom. =)

May 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I am always so envious of your beautiful flowers... and they bloom early. Which makes me ask the question: Why do i live in MN?!?!?!?!
Enjoy your flowers and weather! :)

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I would like to walk through your garden. I could just smell all those lovely fragrances.
How do you remember the names of all the roses.......

May 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Your garden is just breathtakingly beautiful. I love it!

May 4, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I love foxgloves too. I figured out that they're a great winter flower here so if I put them in around January or February I can enjoy them and then they go dormant until the next winter.

May 7, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Post a Comment