The Unpost Post  

Posted by Heidi in

Now that I have made everyone thoroughly paranoid due to this post (honestly, I am happy to receive any amount of advice from anyone who knows more than I on any subject--the advice offered by April on how to treat my blister last January with special band-aids of which I had never heard--which went swimmingly well, by the way--is one example that comes immediately to mind, mostly because I also used them to "heal" a scar on my face, which didn't go quite as swimmingly, unless you want to compare the crater it left in my cheek to a swimming pool (which is not hard to do) and does a bruising job of reminding me each day of how much I appreciate April's advice on how to use those band-aids which are, as it says right on the box, meant only for fingers and toes--no mention of face scars whatsoever--there-by healing my blister which I SO appreciate) and pretty much obliterated this post by posting this one (I'm still see-sawing back and forth between fear and faith but who isn't?) leaving me feeling more than a little loathe to blog (or even show my face a la the internet).

I'm pretty sure I just need to relax and everything will get back to normal (or what passes for normal around here).

How I would love to just sit back and enjoy the afternoon as Lisa describes HERE but only the mindless drone of the TV will wipe my mind clear enough to really relax (which reminds me, Donny Osmond competes for one of the top spots tonight on Dancing With The Stars--heat up those DVR's, ladies!). I am still unable to enjoy reading for pleasure (my inner critic will not shut up and is, alas, rather snobbish at the moment in that it is as critical of other novelists as it is of me. Perhaps more so.) (This only applies to books, especially those in my genre. Blog and, apparently, entertainment news magazine writers are in the clear.) (BTW, might I ask if the above usage of "enjoy" and "pleasure" with relation to reading isn't a bit redudant?)

Taking a deep breath, here. (You probably should, as well.) In other words, I don't quite know what to say (but I am pretty sure I should have used less words to say it). So, I think I shan't make an attempt to say anything at all whatsoever. (Aren't you glad I didn't?)

(Yeah. Me too.)

(In fact, this not saying anything has made me so happy I feel as if I should have said nothing a whole lot sooner.)

This entry was posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 at Monday, November 16, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

33 wise, witty and wonderful comments

If it makes you feel better, I have spent the last 4 weeks reading Dan Brown's latest. I am trying to read it at work, so I get sidetracked, but I haven't been reading either!

Hang in there!

November 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I suppose if you aren't enjoying reading for pleasure, you may be enjoying reading for other reasons, no?

Thanks for saying nothing! I enjoyed it myself!

November 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I sure wish I had a DVR wherein I could record said competition. One day...

November 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM
Anonymous  

Too bad you're so far away. I could invite you to our book club meeting and you would then have a perfect reason to enjoy reading The Help.

November 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM

You rock! :)

November 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I love you! And I too am in a reading slump, although I think it is worse for you. I have learned to keep myself surrounded by those who love me. That makes the hard times feel less harsh.

November 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I am in a reading slump too. I am very hesitant about picking up unknown authors and jumping right in and I have read *everything* the authors I like have written, ugh! I may have to start re-rereading some old favorites....How long til Miss D 2?

November 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Life will improve. Enjoy the ebb and flow of it. (Easier said than done, I know.)

November 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM

How to leave a comment on a non-post...
Good luck on getting back to normal. Or maybe just on finding a new kind of normal.

November 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Anonymous  

I'm just happy to see you--regardless of what kind of post it is. =] I hope life settles soon. How're things with the LG?

November 16, 2009 at 9:46 PM

DVRs are da bomb! Seriously, how did I ever watch TV without one?

I am reading The Zookeeper's Wife, which is turning out to be incredibly inspiring.

Does your face now smell like foot? Ew.

November 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Well just so we are clear and this helps me fully understand why we get along...I say a whole lot of nothing all.the.time! :) Cheerio!

November 17, 2009 at 7:00 AM

I don't know what I would do if I stopped enjoying reading for pleasure. That was a lot of something about nothing... :)

November 17, 2009 at 7:06 AM

That's the best unpost post I've ever read. :)
And it just tells me that Heidi is making a come back. :)

November 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Well, I have decided there is no such thing as NORMAL. So we all need to quit trying to get THERE --wherever THAT place is.
how did we function before without the DVR
and reading ---I used to love it, still do, but WHY don't I spend more time doing it. I find myself usually blogging instead
I don't know why, sometimes blogging frustrates me.
It feeds into my insecurities
confirms that I am NOT normal

November 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM

LOL...I'm glad you were able to say nothing in such a fancy descriptive way and happy you're happy.

November 17, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Reading what you wrote made me happy as well!! Perhaps saying nothing sometimes is what we need to hear. :-) Thanks for cheering up my day.

November 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I have the same problem reading. I have been having problems shutting my inner critic up as well. I think that she may be driving my husband crazy. . .

November 17, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I think it's a nationwide reading slump... I have friends currently reading two books that I finished awhile ago and it's KILLING me to not be able to discuss... ack!

November 17, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I've been back to read this post 3 times because I think it is brilliant.
Best Unpost EVER!

November 18, 2009 at 7:15 AM

ask and ye shall receive.

November 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM

My brain still hurts. I, apparently, have not been getting enough sleep because I'm not entirely sure I could make heads or tails of what you just wrote.

I still smiled. Lots of nothing is a good thing.

I've missed you!

November 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Now THAT was fun reading, Heidi! :)

November 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Anonymous  

LOL.. you crack me up!

November 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I love nothing! I do love your words no matter what, lady. You're lovely and creative and smart and witty and GOOD.

November 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM

You are brilliant and sweet, even when rambling a little, being loathe to blog, or enjoying Dancing with the Stars.

Any which way, you are still golden.

November 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I've never heard nothing said so eloquently!

November 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Hi Heidi!
I need your snail mail to send your prize!
(Love your blog!)

November 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I don't know what's going on, I'm so out of the loop. But this post made me smile.

I know when it's an author I enjoy reading when I don't find myself critiquing as I read.

I certainly didn't critique Miss D.!

November 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM

You should get a prize. That first sentence was the longest one I have ever read.

November 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I think a week of nothing but tv and bed would do the trick. Alas, isn't that something that one shall never have, unless we're in the hospital or something.

November 23, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I love nothing. And I love reading your posts, no matter the subject. You are a really great writer.
love you.
xoxoxo

November 24, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Sometimes we vent to just vent, not to get advice.

December 2, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Post a Comment